Timeshare Companies

vacation international

Jun 25, 2011

I called Playa Del Sol and they warned me about this scam. I then found email from PDS saying the below. ____________________________________ Dear Members: It has being brought to our attention that several "Ghost" companies have being contacting Members for this and other Vacation Clubs within Mexico... even though this professional scammers change their tactics and the companies names (So people cannot find their frauds on line) we have identified three different name for this "Ghost entities" International Properties (Supposedly based in Chicago) Holiday Property Management (Supposedly based in Ohio) Dallas Resale Group (Supposedly based in Dallas) Vacation International Inc (supposedly based in Michigan) Luxury Property Management (Suppossedly based in Dallas) Typical Scams: One of the current scams that we have received a significant number of complaints about is the resale scam. Timeshare owners are being targeted by fraudsters who are offering to sell their weeks for them. The victims are being asked to pay upfront fees for any number of reasons and then hear nothing more from the scammers - no sales, no refunds. Others are duped into parting with upfront cash - often hundreds or even thousands of dollars - only to find that the supposed buyer has dropped out of the deal. They are then lured to a foreign country to meet a "corporate buyer" who is interested in buying their week. To stay safe avoid further contact: If you receive an unsolicited contact i.e. a cold call If someone requests any form of upfront payment. Common reasons for an upfront fee are: Escrows, deposits, administration fees, bonds of trust, surety against withdrawal, insurance cover, validity survey, land registry tax, certificate charge and VAT If someone assures you your payment would be fully protected under laws governing the use of Credit Card If someone asks for your credit card, debit card or bank details but assure you they will not take any payment. If someone suggests they can obtain an unexpected or unrealistic high price. If someone says they have a buyer waiting to buy your particular timeshare product. If someone asks you to send them your Ownership Certificate. If someone applies undue pressure for a decision within a short time period. These people have unlimited imaginations when it comes to stealing your money so don't trust them - no matter how convincing and reassuring they may seem. Contact your resort when receiving a "Cold Call " . The others are correct that Vacation International does not exist at the site in Michigan as verified by the US Postal Service and they are not licensed in Michigan.

Russell D.
Jun 27, 2011

tiana4 I've tried to rent my weeks out over the years, and even hired 2 companies to try to do so, and they never have done one thing. They get my money, and that's it. At least the last company (GMAC) took a $1K, and they stayed in touch with me for a while like they were had someone that wanted to rent, and asked if I would come down on my price, and that they were going to tradeshows introducing my property. After about a year, I never hear from them again.

I too have given money to a place (Resort Solutions, Inc.) - gave them a good chunk of money to "rent" my timeshare. Geez, the last time I heard anything from them was 2008 (when I bought the darn thing), and that was for them to get my card number to pay for the "listings".

However, since then I have rented out my weeks MYSELF and FOR FREE - using www(dot)vacationtimesharerentals(dot)com - and AT NO COST. They give you one year for free, and then it is a small fee, if you wish to keep the ad going. From that FREE ad, I was getting about 3 + inquiries per month, no joke. From that, I managed to rent out several of my weeks (I have 12 weeks in a regular suite, or 4 weeks in a 2 bedroom). The next year (this year), I have rented ALL 12 weeks, and this is without an ad...this is from people that had contacted me the first year, and kept my info. I will be putting in another FREE ad soon for next year (as you don't have to pay ever...but you will need to create a new ad). I will NEVER give money to ANYONE ever again for their "help" in renting units....that is a whole other scam, I think. OH, and the best part, is this is who was suggested by my resort to go thru.

Anyway, maybe those of us on here can trade with each other and use the resorts that way, if we haven't rented them out!!

Devon S.
Jun 27, 2011

Devon11,

I too paid a company my timeshare listed, and I bought a lifetime membership for $300 or $350. Never heard a word from them either. I can't even get in touch with them.

The second place was the GMAC Real Estate, Timeshare Division. Now that sounded legit, being called GMAC. I didn't think anyone could use someone else's name unless that's actually who owns it. Beware of them, because they took $1K of my money. I feel so stupid.

Here's there info, and beware:

This is a courtesy email from the Quality Control Department from Timeshare Division GMAC Real Estate. Our records indicate that we are marketing your timeshare in our rental program. Please give us a call at 1-888-805-4622 ext 119

Thank you, Quality Control Department 1-888-805-4622 ext.119 Local 407-992-8834 ext.119 Fax 407-345-8553 jmendez@gmactd.com

I think this is a good blogspot to keep other from doing idiotic things. I feel like I've been through it enough to say "No" for now on.

Tiana

Tiana H.
Jun 27, 2011

I also was contacted by Vacation International and then subsequently by 'Kevin Alexander' of Alliance Title Service in Eugene, Oregon, to ensure that funds were in the escrow account there. This is just a caution that I could find no business listing for the that company either but did find one 'complaint' about Kevin, which I believe was created to make him believable. Definitely a very well-presented scam. Buyer AND SELLER beware...

Jayne M.
Jun 28, 2011

I have Sandos Playacar and was also contacted by Robert Jones (British accent) of Vacation International on June 7th. They also wanted be to sign the form and send back that day because the deal was closing that week. I have gotten a call each week since then with the same urgent message. How many times does the deal close in a month. Great forum because I was wondering if this was a scam and now I am convinced. They get a commission on the quoted price whether it sells or not. I just have one last question. Who is giving out our names??????

Frank K.
Jun 28, 2011

hi there, i am the orginator of this dialogue...and i am glad i did! i asked them that same question.. "how did you get my info"??? They calmly answered," Have you advertised your timeshare in the pass"? and of course at one time or another we all did.. But i think they have access to some type of owners list. I bought mine on the resale market(playa del sol) for $50. The original owner bought from the developer for $15,000 in 2006. Sooo the list they have is current. Not sure if this is "public record" like real estate is. Maybe someone in Playa del Sol is getting a kick back... they knew too many details including my contact # that was given to the title company when it was transfered to me....

Michelle
Jun 28, 2011

I was approached by vacation international a few days ago. Offered 48,000 for my two weeks at Sandos resort. Thanks to this post I now know that they are a scam. I spoke to Joe and told him my concerns about their address not existing, and that their title companies address was a vacant building. He pretended to be concerned about my accusations and needed to ask questions himself to get the answers. I told him if he could get me some answers about where the title company was and how I could have proof that the money is in escrow that I would consider talking to him further. He first said that he would call me back, but then said that everything else is done with a 3rd party company and that he wouldn't be able to get me the answers and call me back. Then he said "so your not gonna send in the proposal anyways?" I'm still a little unsure of what the exact scam is?

Tiffany H.
Jun 28, 2011

tiffanyh103 wrote:
Offered 48,000 for my two weeks at Sandos resort.... how I could have proof that the money is in escrow... I'm still a little unsure of what the exact scam is?

Nobody is paying $48000 for Mexican resorts. That's the scam artists' line to paralyze you with excitement and stop you from thinking rationally.

"Escrow" is a recent twist in these scams. The idea behind genuine escrow is for money to be held by a third party (not involved in the transaction) and then released to the rightful owner when the issue or sale is resolved. If you send VI the money, it's not going to a third party and, therefore, not into escrow. It's going into the scam artists' coffers.

So the scam is to blind you to any suspicious-sounding fees and just blindly hand over your money or credit card number while you sit back and wait for the sale to happen and $48000-check to arrive ... and wait ... and wait ... and wait...

Lance C.
Jun 29, 2011

I never advertised my "timeshare" at any time. I beleive they are getting a list from the places we bought from.

Frank K.
Jun 30, 2011

VAC MGT INTL offered $37,500 sent contracts etc,I told them when I have cash in hand I would pay fees and commission,never heard from them again.

Jack H.
Jun 30, 2011

i can't help but think.. how do these scammers sleep at night??? and how the hell does this timeshare scam business is so strong!!!!!!!

Michelle
Jun 30, 2011

yes.. and they wanted a flat fee of $600... at this point i will take my "blame" in getting scammed for $2142 via some other scammers that i can't even remember their names. he listened and started talking about criminal charges etc etc.. i just can't put another dime in someones pocket because they "claim" what they can do... sooo over it!

Michelle
Jun 30, 2011

I'm wondering if they can somehow use the signatures on the 'proposal' we signed and the copy of the VOID verification statement to do us some harm? After reading the Resale Contract and questioning the upfront 10% charge and the 8% commission whether or not the transaction was completed, we told both 'Dean Stockton' of Vacation International and 'Kevin Alexander' of Alliance Trust Services that we felt it was all a scam - and they just said 'OK'. I certainly regret letting it go as far as it did, guess we all wanted to believe it could happen - a lesson for future offerings that sound too good to be true....

Jayne M.
Jul 08, 2011

I may be in the scam artist clutches-my spouse and I had the conversation recorded while they were reading the exclusive resale contract and then I faxed it in and got the papers to sign and return to the alliance title services company but didn't send them back yet--looked in to company tonight after getting a call from a resort resale advocates representative who warned me not to be sending any money to anyone--will the vac, international company hold me to the 8% fee for backing out--i called and recinded my contract after 3 days but with weekend and all I tried to refax my voiding of the contract and no answer on the fax line!!! dang--had again? i left a message on the phone answering machine saying I will be contacting my resort and telling them i am being scammed and will not allow a lien being placed on the property-suggestions?

Cathy N.
Jul 09, 2011

cathyn62 wrote:
I may be in the scam artist clutches-my spouse and I had the conversation recorded while they were reading the exclusive resale contract and then I faxed it in and got the papers to sign and return to the alliance title services company but didn't send them back yet--looked in to company tonight after getting a call from a resort resale advocates representative who warned me not to be sending any money to anyone--will the vac, international company hold me to the 8% fee for backing out--i called and recinded my contract after 3 days but with weekend and all I tried to refax my voiding of the contract and no answer on the fax line!!! dang--had again? i left a message on the phone answering machine saying I will be contacting my resort and telling them i am being scammed and will not allow a lien being placed on the property-suggestions?

If you sent payment via a credit card then notify your credit card company ASAP and file a complaint. This is probably the only way you're going to get your money back IF you sent any money at all. If you didn't send any money then there's nothing lost since you've notified the company that you've voided the contract. Normally they will want a credit card # in advance.

R P.
Jul 14, 2011

I went all the way with them knowing that "If it seems too good to be true, it probably is." Yesterday was supposed to be my payout day. I have heard nothing and they won't answer the phone..shocker.

If they try to get more money via the "contract", we need to do something! Please keep me in the loop in case we need to band together and fight this.

Trina K.
Jul 14, 2011

I've been totally had. I'm out $4000 in cash advances. Now I'm afraid they can come after me for more. Do you know?

Also, do you think it's too late to contact the FBI regarding this?

Trina K.
Jul 15, 2011

I too am now out of money. ($6000 cash advances). Monday July 11 Dean Stockton from Vacation International left a message to call him for an update. The phone is not answered and today that number (and Alliance Title's #) is answered with "That number has been canceled." I have filed with FBI ICR.

Eric A.
Jul 15, 2011

I just got duped for thousands of dollars. Talk about being stupid. I just wanted to get rid of my timeshare. My money was to be wired into my account today. Checked. Guess what no money. I called all the numbers list for vacation International and Alliance Title Serivces and all the phone numbers have been cancelled. NOW WHAT????

Arlene G.
Jul 15, 2011

At this point we eat the money and hope they don't have the nerve to come after us for more using that BS contract!

Trina K.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.