Timeshare Companies

Marriott's Vac Club Reservation System - prejudiced against owners

Feb 05, 2012

I just finished a second frustrating experience trying to reserve my Platinum week for 2013 at Marriott Mountainside in Park City UT. This same situation faced me last year reserving for 2012. First, it took the computer I was using about 3 minutes to get into Marriott's system at 7 am mountain time on 2/1. OK, a lot of people logging in at the same time - Marriott should improve their system to handle this load don't you think? Then, by the time I was in, about 4 minutes after the system was "open", only a Sunday arrival was available. That is, all the Friday and Saturday inventory was sold in less than 5 minutes!! There are more than 180 suites in this building - so 120 were gone in less than 5 minutes? Not really as I found out. I called later that day and finnaly got through to a human. As the conversation went along I was told that Marriott holds back some suites to sell as "hotel" rooms to outside guests - i.e. non owners. That means that Friday and Saturday suites are available - but not to owners!!! How can they do that? I asked to speak to a supervisor but after 15 minutes of hold time I just hung up. I will call again during the coming week - but do not expect any resolution. Yesterday I responded to the survey seeking feedback on my "experience" making the reservation. I vented in that survey and asked to get a call back. Again, I do not expect a satisfactory resolution. I never have believed the new point system was anything but a money making angle for Marriott and now I discover they sell suites to the general public at the expense of the people who bought units. What do you make of this? Is it written anywhere in the sale contracts that they have the right to sell units like this? My contract for Mountainside Park City was signed in Feb 2000 before the building was completely finished and I don't recall seeing this anywhere.

Mike T.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.