Point Systems

Stupid question: recommend a system?

Jul 27, 2012

Hello. We're considering a point system. Actually, I'm sold on doing one, but wife isn't sure.

Us: married a long time, 2 boys under 10, over 5. We used to just get a cabin in the woods and make our own fun, but that's not going to last for long. We want to be, and mainly will be, travelling off-season for our destinations (within reason, not to FL in hurricane season).

We're buying in for the long-term, i.e. as the kids get older, we'll go on more elaborate vacations (possibly adding on points), but in the meantime we'll take a family vacation to US locations (historical (cities and areas around, mainly east of Rockies), natural (beaches, parks like Yosemite)) and shorter vacations separately with friends and extended family. We're looking at 2.5 weeks/year of vacations, at least 1.5/weeks of that family.

I really like the exchange (for airlines, cars, etc) aspects of RCI, but do they work? I've read some awful things about them. I like Marriott, in general, as we stay there on business. I'm intrigued by Hilton, though, as I do like to go to Vegas and there are some great options there.

Help? Too much info floating around. I have only recently begun considering points, discovered on Tuesday this week, and I'm a bit of a loss for meaningful comparisons for folks in our situation. I recognize the climate is always changing, but someone with our sort of background and having fulfilled the above plan could offer great advice. What I really don't want are a bunch of hidden fees, or bad customer service at the reservation stage.

Roy M.

Last edited by roym98 on Jul 27, 2012 03:37 PM

Jul 28, 2012

There are so many different point systems out there with different rules .... I would recommend you rent from an owner relieving you of ever rising maintenance fees and possible special assessments.

R P.
Oct 31, 2012

We have bought into Wyndham and it is the best for us. If you are travelling off season it is great. We also own Marriott and that is wonderful but not as available . I have the name of a great helping person in bonnet Creek. We have travelled all over the us and have been really happy. They even took our rci weeks and we pay for them to be points but we have quite a few now.

Chris H.
Apr 12, 2013

Firstly, it's really sweet that you guys care so much about your kids having a good time on vacation! I wish my folks had felt that way when they drug me and my brothers around to the places THEY wanted to relax at.

Anyway, I was kind of in your boat three years ago.

My husband and I wanted to start vacationing with our kids regularly since they were getting to an age where traveling wouldn't be too much of a hassle.

We ended up getting sold on the Fiesta points system (Adventure Club I think it's called). I didn't check them out beforehand so I guess my experience is kind of lucky. We have been able to book vacations to different places in the US during decent times of year (although never our first choice of resort).

I've found a lot of complaints online though so I am really hesitant to recommend them. My best advice would be to do a ton of research, as much as you can. Don't do what I did and just sign up and hope.

Anyway, I hope that helped you out at least a little.

Debbie T.
Aug 13, 2013

It depends on the parent company, but we have been extremely pleased with Wyndham. We can make easy exchanges anytime of the year (mind you, I make reservations as soon as I possibly can. But points are more flexible. Sometimes we get one or two 4 bedroom units for the whole family and sometimes we just need a 1 bedroom for ourselves. You can easily make weekend trips rather than having to use a whole week but not be able to stay the whole time. Better yet, if you choose a resort within a short period of time you get a discount on the points. We are Platinum so can rent a place for 1/2 the points! Check to see which areas have the least cost in maintenance fees. Typically Hawaii is cheaper so we have some points there. Most of our points are at National Harbor though because they lease out part of the building to CVS and National Children's Museum that helps pay for building upkeep.

Trudy S.
Aug 13, 2013

Two things, I am interested in hearing what others think about the points system within RCI. Also, my advice to you is to purchase with two things in mind: 1.) Is this a place you wouldn't mind going to EVERY year if you cannot trade (this should become a non issue if the points system works like I think it does - I too was sold upon hearing of it!), and 2.) Is it a high trading place (i.e. Maui, HI).

Heidi M.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.