Point Systems

MVC point pricing

Apr 08, 2013

A common theme here is that most people really enjoy the Marriott properties. Having just returned from St Thomas Frenchman's Cove, I would agree. However, most people also agree that the points as currently done are "expensive."

It seems that various presentations have them in the $9.70 to $12/point price range. Clearly, the points and property have some value. There has to be a price point that is "good buy"...

So, what is a fair, reasonable price for a MVC point?

My thought is that $6.00/point is very reasonable...that is the point that comes to even against renting (including MF) in my analysis. Also, you can't say...buy a week on the resale market, because I will seldom use any one play more than 1 of 4 years...and in 10 years my kids are all grown, and my usage will be very different than it is currently. I really WANT the flexibility of points and would rent over owning a week...

Anthony R.
Apr 08, 2013

anthonyr187 wrote:
A common theme here is that most people really enjoy the Marriott properties. Having just returned from St Thomas Frenchman's Cove, I would agree. However, most people also agree that the points as currently done are "expensive."

It seems that various presentations have them in the $9.70 to $12/point price range. Clearly, the points and property have some value. There has to be a price point that is "good buy"...

So, what is a fair, reasonable price for a MVC point?

My thought is that $6.00/point is very reasonable...that is the point that comes to even against renting (including MF) in my analysis. Also, you can't say...buy a week on the resale market, because I will seldom use any one play more than 1 of 4 years...and in 10 years my kids are all grown, and my usage will be very different than it is currently. I really WANT the flexibility of points and would rent over owning a week...

I think your analysis is sound. The problems with buying resale points include Marriott's large fees as well as the uncertainty of these points being treated differently (from developer points) by Marriott some time in the future. You may want to consider buying a minimal number of MVC points so you can rent more when you desire (you have to have a points account for someone to transfer points to you, although the points owner could make the reservation in their name on your behalf). The flexibility, including not having to use the traditional weeks model, may work for you. That said, you may be well advised to just rent weeks from time to time, as your expected usage is unpredictable.

Gary S.

Last edited by garys620 on Apr 08, 2013 09:58 PM

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.