Buying, Renting, and Selling Timeshares

Limitations on Resale Purchases of Marriott Destination Club Points

Jun 07, 2014

I have read some older posts and a lot of speculation so I am looking for current information if anyone has actually purchased second hand MVC Destination Club points resale. I understand the minimum $2000 fee to "reenroll" the points in the program, and that if not currently a club member then the $300 education fee. I am currently an owner and want to know how resale points would differ than my points purchased directly from Marriott.

Marriott tells me they will only sell in minimum purchase blocks of 6 BI, or 1500 points. I actually question that as fact after the initial 1500 points are owned. (?)

Would after market points still have the bank or borrow ability? Would they be able to be converted to Marriott Rewards Points? Would they limit the initial timeframes for reserving properties?

Thank you for any information you geniuses can provide.

K. M.
Jun 09, 2014

Hello,

I am a Marriott owner at Ko Olina. This is not speculation, but a fact. If you buy resale points from another owner and pay the Marriott fees including the education fee and the beneficial interest fees, the resale points will be treated like points that have been bought from Marriott. There would be no limitations on the points. This has been discussed extensively on Timeshare Users Group (tug2.net) One of the forum members went through the entire process and shared it from the day he bought it until closing with Marriott. If you are going to purchase points, this is the way to do it. However, you must remember that Marriott does have right of first refusal (ROFR) and does exercise it when the resale purchase price is too low. They seem to be exercising that right when the points are being sold at about $3.00 to $4.00 per point.

My suggestion to most people is to rent those points if you are already in the Destinations Club and save yourself the neverending maintenance fees.

km260 wrote:
I have read some older posts and a lot of speculation so I am looking for current information if anyone has actually purchased second hand MVC Destination Club points resale. I understand the minimum $2000 fee to "reenroll" the points in the program, and that if not currently a club member then the $300 education fee. I am currently an owner and want to know how resale points would differ than my points purchased directly from Marriott.

Marriott tells me they will only sell in minimum purchase blocks of 6 BI, or 1500 points. I actually question that as fact after the initial 1500 points are owned. (?)

Would after market points still have the bank or borrow ability? Would they be able to be converted to Marriott Rewards Points? Would they limit the initial timeframes for reserving properties?

Thank you for any information you geniuses can provide.

Charles S.
Mar 21, 2017

Thank you for feedback. While we are seeking to buy 3500 points from a reseller broker and NOT Marriott to save $$$, we are now thinking maybe it's better to just buy points on eBay or ???from individual owners whenever we need them? Thoughts??

James F.
Apr 11, 2017

A realtor who deals in timeshares has told me that something changed recently. If you have some existing points and your anniversary date is July 1, and, you buy point from someone who has an anniversary date of Jan 1, then, Marriott will no longer combine those, you'll have 2 accounts. This changed, if true, within the last month or so. Has anyone else encountered this? So, makes it a little harder to find suitable resale candidates if you already have some points.

Steve F.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.