Jun 16, 2014

has

Richard B.

Last edited by richard2553 on Jun 23, 2014 09:35 AM

Jun 17, 2014

Use paypal so you can dispute the charge if anything goes wrong. It's safe and if she refuses it should raise flags.

Don P.
Jun 17, 2014

She said ok and said she would do 50% down but then her next email said not sure how to use paypal outside ebay.I told her to send paypal invoice.she also wants to use snail mail .told her to email agreement I would sign take a pic and email back to her could it be that she's just really old and not very savvy with high-tech way of doing things

Richard B.
Jun 17, 2014

I would insist on using paypal. Just log onto your account and it is very easy. If you meet with resistance then you might want to look elsewhere. Scammers will come up with all kinds of excuses to get your cash. Your call.

Don P.
Jun 17, 2014

thank you she says she rented it for the last for years and the tenants sent a check

Richard B.
Jun 18, 2014

she got very defensive when I ask her to provide references and gave me red week's number and said I could call to verify with them that she's rented in the last 4 years

Richard B.
Jun 18, 2014

If she refuses to use Paypal then I would look elsewhere.

R P.
Jun 19, 2014

There are renters who have been renting for years accepting just checks. It is a lot safer for the owner. Accepting payments by paypal is very convenient for the owner but has several drawbacks. First there is a 2.9% transaction fee or 3.9% if your renter is from Canada and next the payer can open within 60-90 days after paying and in some cases this means after the stay has been completed claiming that the stay was not as advertised and paypal admits there is no protection for "intagible goods" so if it doesn't get shipped in a box the seller has zero protection against claims. If the buyer opens a dispute for any reason- paypal will reverse the charges and it would be up to the owner to take the renter to court.

With that said most owners take the risk and offer paypal due to the convenience and the comfort it offers the buyer. So just because an owner doesn't accept paypal doesn't mean they aren't legit. But it is your money so take your business elsewhere if you don't feel comfortable with the terms and conditions of the rental.

Tracey S.
Jun 19, 2014

okay but they can't supply references hello

Richard B.
Jun 20, 2014

The first time we rented out Westin on Maui we used a third party to handle the transaction splitting the costs 50/50 with the renter. They've rented from us again and now since we know each other they pay me half up front and the other half about 3 months before they go. On the other hand we just rented from an owner at the same resort without using an intermediary. She sent a rental agreement, we did a three-way conversation with Westin owner services verifying the owner was current on their association dues (a lot of people forget to verify this!) and verify the change in reservation into our name. It wasn't a lot of money (1k) so went with my gut after several conversations with the owner I was satisfied. Good luck and if you have a bad gut feeling find another unit in the same complex.

Greg C.
Jun 21, 2014

she said and is advertising ocean front but I called the hotel they said this is a island view

Richard B.
Jun 22, 2014

stupid me I sent her 50% by cashiers check so because she has lied about the unit I doubt she will put unit in my name when check arrives. If she does should I bite the bullet and pay the balance and except the room

Richard B.

Last edited by phyl21 on Jun 22, 2014 08:14 PM

Jun 22, 2014

richard2553 wrote:
stupid me I sent her 50% by cashiers check so because she has lied about the unit I doubt she will put unit in my name when check arrives. If she does should I bite the bullet and pay the balance and except the room
\

That's a decision you'll have to personally make.

R P.

Last edited by phyl21 on Jun 22, 2014 08:15 PM

Jun 22, 2014

Tell her the resort is saying it is Island view and see what she says. If you were uncomfortable with the deal you should not have proceeded. It is possible that the resort made a mistake. Let the owner know and then let her straighten it out. Tell her you will need to confirm it before you send the second half.

Tracey S.
Jun 22, 2014

im always uncomfortable when I dont know the owner.We go every year and would like to use the same network but for example napilli towers of 12th floor 1350 /wk for studio same person following year 2300 ridicuious I would say

Richard B.
Jun 22, 2014

When I look at her ad she states that the unit is oceanfront on the first floor. This means that although the unit faces the ocean there will likely be little to no actual views of the ocean. Looking at some of the maps for the property it is possible that the Marriott designation is island view for the first floor units. Find out what the unit number is and then find out where that unit is. Maui studios with true ocean front views (probably 4th or higher to be sure) command a high rental price in the summer. Looking at the Westin and at the Marriott the price you got last year is more like the ocean view or view varies (Starwood) than an ocean front price.

Tracey S.
Jun 23, 2014

last year was oceanfront studio 12th floor n tower great room we where we made an offer of 1600 (was1350 last year) but owner wouldnt take less than 2300. Now with 3 weeks to go they have dropped price to 1850. could go unrented .they never even countered now it will go unrented or they drop down to below what I offered for a last minute special LOL greed gotcha

Richard B.
Jun 27, 2014

its a done deal now and I have my conformation but this was the biggest hassle ever . The owner has this attitude like we are troublemakers and it all our fault. The problem is there sharing the lock off unit. this will be very interesting. I hope we don't bump into them. Oops I forgot we made a deal to give them the 2nd half of the rent there. This was in case it is and island unit

Richard B.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.