Buying, Renting, and Selling Timeshares

Casa Dorada at Medano Beach Cabo San Lucas

Nov 06, 2014

I'm looking into a timeshare for this resort and wanted to ask the community for any help or recommendations.

This resort appears to have many varying contracts and it is difficult to navigate through this. The main thing I wanted was a fixed week so that I wouldn't have to worry about overbooking.

I'm looking at the following for a Penthouse Unit:

Maintenance Fee: $1,450 Ownership Type: Right to use through 2037 Week: 4

Does this seem reasonable? Are there any hidden fees or problems that I should be aware of?

I know that some contracts have a very low annual fee but, a high priced booking fee. $1,450 seems high for a maintenance fee but, for a penthouse unit, this might be reasonable.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

David D.
Nov 07, 2014

What is the asking price? The only thing I could think of that might be missing in the contract are 'special assessment' costs if the resort needs major renovations or such.

R P.
Nov 07, 2014

I'm comparing one that is 1 week fixed in a Penthouse vs. another that is 2 weeks floating in a 2 bedroom.

These are both priced about the same around $14,000.

They are not through Globequest so, they have the lower maintenance fees.

Based on the maintenance fees and what the units would rent for, the 2 weeks floating comes out ahead but, I like the idea of having a fixed week as a guarantee. And, the fixed week can always be converted to a floating on any given year.

David D.
Nov 08, 2014

davidd1002 wrote:
I'm comparing one that is 1 week fixed in a Penthouse vs. another that is 2 weeks floating in a 2 bedroom.

These are both priced about the same around $14,000.

They are not through Globequest so, they have the lower maintenance fees.

Based on the maintenance fees and what the units would rent for, the 2 weeks floating comes out ahead but, I like the idea of having a fixed week as a guarantee. And, the fixed week can always be converted to a floating on any given year.

If you are determined to buy a timeshare at this resort then I would definitely buy the fixed week if this resort is as popular as I have read with the most desirable views in Cabo .... floating weeks can be iffy in getting a reservation for a week you desire at very popular resorts = supply and demand.

R P.
Nov 08, 2014

Thanks for the advice.

I'm a little more cautious with this purchase because I'd typically never purchase a timeshare in Mexico or, recommend one because of their aggressive sales techniques and rip-off's.

However, we've been finding that we've been going back to this same resort the last few years in a row and when I take into account the better pricing by buying a resale rather than purchasing from teh developer, the numbers don't seem too bad. I just want to make sure that I'm not missing anything.

David D.
Nov 09, 2014

davidd1002 wrote:
Thanks for the advice.

I'm a little more cautious with this purchase because I'd typically never purchase a timeshare in Mexico or, recommend one because of their aggressive sales techniques and rip-off's.

However, we've been finding that we've been going back to this same resort the last few years in a row and when I take into account the better pricing by buying a resale rather than purchasing from teh developer, the numbers don't seem too bad. I just want to make sure that I'm not missing anything.

I assume you have searched the internet backwards and forward comparing prices for a timeshare at this resort. We posters at Redweek do not condone buying from a developer as you can buy resale for pennies on the dollar compared to developer.

R P.
Nov 09, 2014

davidd1002 wrote:
Thanks for the advice.

Also, it's much easier to buy a timeshare than to sell a timeshare when that time should come .... life circumstances can change (children, job issues, health issues, college expenses etc etc) but one still has to pay those maintenance fees each year until the timeshare changes ownership or until 2037 when the contract is up.

R P.

Last edited by jayjay on Nov 09, 2014 09:17 AM

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.