Marriott's Kauai Beach Club

Seeking Guidance Re: Buying at MKBC in the Resale Market. Good and Bad?

Jan 09, 2015

I'm thinking of buying an annual week at the MKBC on the resale market. We've traded other company time shares through II into this resort and it is one of our favorite resorts. This resort and Hawaii properties are popping up less every year on II. Thus our interest in buying here to lock us in. Does it really lock us in? We would buy a floating high season annual. But it's my understanding all is high season, except they may call the 2 weeks around Christmas as something more special, and make it more difficult to get in then (we really prefer the week before Christmas (50) or after New Years (1), but sometimes 51 & 52 are more optimal. Also, now with the points system would I, as a weekly owner be later in line to get desired weeks? Two final questions...as resale buyers are we able to participate in a trading system within Marriott for other Marriott resorts...and...are there other benefits we would be denied as a resale buyer? Thanks for your guidance.

Larry V.
Feb 02, 2015

Don't know all the rules but it is my understanding you get all privileges of owners but are not part of the points system. Meaning, we have the right to not use the resort every other year and get 105,000 points instead. I do not believe you would get this option. Not really a big deal since we use it mostly every year or sell it to friends when we can't (a better deal than the points by a long shot since the points system at Marriott is suffering from rampant inflation - the amount of points we get since day one has not changed, but the amount to use for everything has gone up tremendously ie... our week in Kauai is worth 105,000 - just got back from 4 nights in NYC and it was 180,000 points. So, you are not missing anything by not getting points. Charlie

Charlie B.

Last edited by phyl21 on Feb 02, 2015 10:24 PM

Feb 08, 2015

Thanks Charlie. I hope there are others who can weigh in on this. Can you also give me insight into how reserving works within the Marriott system? I understand that those who elected to change to points, get a jump on by a month or two. Thanks.

Larry V.
Mar 22, 2015

If you are looking at a resale through Marriott you have different benefits then if you buy a resale through Redweek or other. All weeks are float so you can reserve up to 12 months in advance and the earlier you reserve the more likely you get what you want. The points and other Marriott offers are not available if you do not buy through Marriott. The extra month to reserve only applies if you own multiple units and involves some other criteria also. The only trading system that Marriot has is if you join their points program. I find that the rental I can get on my unit barely offsets my annual maintenance fee so you may be ahead by just renting what you want rather than owning. Hope this helps.

Keith L.
May 14, 2015

I have bought 2 different weeks with Marriott Kauai Beach after market and couldn't be happier! I have gotten week 52 two years in a row with no problem. You just go online to my-vacation...com 12 months to the day you want to reserve it! If you own more than 1 unit and want to book both at same time you can book 13 months in advance, otherwise it is 12 months. The points system is not a plus if you plan on using your home resort each time, plus this resort is in such demand that you can trade it very easily on II! I have always been able to rent my unit for about $500-700 more than my maintenance fee on Redweek. You just have to learn the ins and outs! Good luck!

Mary W.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.