Timeshare Companies

Westgate Loses lawsuit over sales tactics

Apr 08, 2015

Today the Orlando Sentinel reported that the Orlando based Westgate Resorts lost a lawsuit that brought up questionable sales tactics.

Nathan and Patricia Overton of Tennessee said they were made promises when purchasing a timeshare in Gatlinberg in 2011.

Westgate lost an appeal of the case drawing critical opinion from the appellate judge Thomas R. Frierson saying that " Westgate engaged in intentional and fraudulent conduct....and willfully violated both Tennessee Timeshare Act and the Tennessee Consumer protection Act ".

The Overtons recovered their losses and won further damages for a total award of $ 500,000.

Don P.
Apr 09, 2015

"Florida Attorney General Pam Bondi received your correspondence regarding Westgate/Central Florida Investments. Attorney General Bondi asked that I respond.

Thank you for considering our office as a resource in this matter. The Florida Attorney General's Office is concerned with all potentially unfair and deceptive trade practices our state. We are forwarding your information to the Attorney General's Consumer Protection Division for review.

In addition, you may also wish to notify the Florida Department of Business and Professional Regulation (DBPR), Division of Florida Condominiums, Timeshares, and Mobile Homes. Pursuant to chapter 721, Florida Statutes, the DBPR regulates timeshare plans in Florida. The contact information is:

Florida Department of Business and Professional Regulation Division of Florida Condominiums, Timeshares, and Mobile Homes 1940 North Monroe Street Tallahassee, Florida 32399 Phone: (850) 488-1122 Websites: www.myfloridalicense.com/dbpr www.myfloridalicense.com/entercomplaint.asp?SID=

Your correspondence provides valuable information that will help us identify trends in consumer fraud and allow us to set enforcement priorities. We appreciate the time and effort you took in bringing your concerns to our attention.

Sincerely, Office of Citizen Services Florida Attorney General's Office PL-01, The Capitol Tallahassee, Florida 32399-1050 Telephone: (850) 414-3990 Toll-free within Florida: (866) 966-7226 Website: www.myfloridalegal.com "

NoOneYouKnow
Feb 17, 2023

Good Morning I need your help.

I would like to sue Westgate for sale tactics. admit to scheme refusal to cancel after written notification. correspondent with the. company through the grace period in writing mail letter and on website, via phone calls and text messages with the notary and Salesperson for westgate.

Judith D.
Feb 18, 2023

Judith D:

Wastegate has a track record of being entirely unafraid of litigation. The Overton case cited above (filed over 10 years ago, then taking another 4 years to conclude) was an unusual one where someone had deep pockets and enough will and time to initiate an expensive court case and a willingness to see it through to the end. The case ultimately ended up before the highest state court in Tennessee (...where Westgate still lost). Unless you have similarly deep pockets (and a comparable will to spend lots of time and money for lawyers and depositions and courtroom testimony), filing a lawsuit would likely be a waste of time, energy and dollars.

If you truly believe that you have a valid case, first contact the Attorney General's office in the state where you initially purchased. That would be a smarter (and also cost-free) alternative. If you choose to pursue that route, be fully prepared to have all of your facts and all of your supporting documentation readily available and chronologically organized. Sob stories, vague accusations and fuzzy recollections without sufficient and persuasive supporting evidence will get you absolutely nowhere. Good luck.

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Feb 22, 2023 01:29 PM

Feb 18, 2023

I would make suggestions, but it's been at least 20 years since I got rid of our Wastegate crap, our first venture into timesharing.

Whenever I hear Wastegate, and automatically think Dawn Georgette Myers.

NoOneYouKnow

Last edited by nooneyouknow on Feb 18, 2023 10:11 AM

Feb 20, 2023

nooneyouknow wrote:
Whenever I hear Wastegate, and automatically think Dawn Georgette Myers.

When I think of Wastegate, I can somehow hear the sound of a ringing cash register, accompanied by the sound of that little hyena David Siegel laughing out loud — all the way to the bank.

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Feb 21, 2023 08:47 AM

Feb 20, 2023

When I see Wastegate, I still think "Dawn Georgette Myers".

What I "hear" is the ringing of the bell, 200 people suddenly going quiet, and the announcement to take Week so-and-so, Unit whatever, off the inventory sheet.

NoOneYouKnow

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.