Buying, Renting, and Selling Timeshares

Exploring Hilton Grand Vacations - at a specific resort

Apr 12, 2015

Hello!

My husband and I are considering looking into a timeshare for our annual vacations. We are based in Baltimore, MD but would want a timeshare that would allow the following:

- located close enough to drive if needed or fly (so I'm thinking basically East Coast) - located close to ample golf, tennis and a beach (again, thinking SC, FL, possibly So Cal/Arizona) - Would need a flexible week every year because our Spring Break varies acc'g to school calendar. - We love the beaches around Charleston and the FL gulf coast, specifically South Seas Island Resort in Captiva but would love a group that would include possible Caribbean travel as well, and eventually a European trip.

I have found that Hilton Grand has timeshares in South Seas which makes them high on the list. This said, does it benefit us to try and buy a timeshare (most likely through resale as I don't want to pay for an overpriced unit through South Seas/Hilton ) there specifically as our HOME resort? I'm still trying to learn specifically how the HOME resort benefits us.

As far as HILTON themselves, should I research other groups? I am having trouble finding out if Marriott/Wyndham/Hyatt offers timeshares at South Seas as well. Is there a way or a link that has this information online?

In addition, if we are interested in South Seas and go there for our 2016 spring break, do we subject ourselves to the tour/sales pitch to really SEE the units there themselves? If so, do they offer an incentives for us traveling there if they know we are interested in a possible purchase?

Looking forward to your helpful advice.

Cara W.
Apr 21, 2015

South Seas is an affiliate and not a regular Hilton Resort. This means that not all owners are in points and the inventory during peak times can be difficult through the vacation club. Traditionally Hilton has had a large concentration of their main timeshares in Vegas, Orlando, and Hawaii. They have always had affiliates in some ski destinations and in S. Florida but like I indicated peak times at those resorts can be difficult. If that is where you want to go most years, you would probably do better to buy points or a week their. I doubt they have any unsold prime inventory at those resorts and you would need to find something on the resale market.

Even for places that have plenty of inventory in Hilton's system, resale points will save you a lot. Hilton is one of the few systems that have very few restrictions on resale point owners. You can't use resale to obtain elite status. That is really the only restriction. Some affiliates have slightly different rules in terms of fees and usage.

Tracey S.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.