Timeshare Companies

Marriott's Latest Devaluation of Time Share Ownership

Sep 17, 2015

I own several weeks at Marriott properties for many years and once was a great fan of the Marriott organization. However, that changed with my experiences at Aruba Ocean Club and Cypress Harbor but I will save that for another day. When I purchased my weeks years ago, key factors were Marriott promoting certain advantages of its time share program e.g. renting additional weeks at a reduced owner's price at Vacation Club properties and using Honored Guest points at hotel properties. Over the years Marriott and its properties have and continue to eliminate these qualities that made Marriott stand out as a premier time share company.

First to go was the owner's rate at vacation club properties. I tried several years ago to rent in Lake Tahoe as a Marriott owner and was given a very high price. I decided to call back and inquired about the rental price without identifying myself as an owner, and guess what, it was the same price. Next and more recently, what has been your experience in trying to use your Honored Guest points at Marriott Hotels? In years past, it was a real benefit, today it is almost non existent if you try to use in prime areas at popular times of year; it doesn't matter if you try to book a year in advance. I have not even mentioned the Marriott latest gimmick- the point's program-wonder if that is undermining the ability of owners who do not participate in using these and other various so-called benefits.

So when Marriott promotes these benefits, just take it with what they call "a grain of salt."

Ken B.
Oct 04, 2015

We bought our Marriott Canyon Villas deeded week during pre-construction, which makes that over 12 years ago, and have been happy to return to our home resort every year until now.. However, this time I am unable to get a reservation at MCV while at the same time I see lots of rentals on many web sites for my week. This clearly indicates to me that the point system completely diluted the possibility of utilizing my week even though we "legacy owners" are encouraged that we can keep doing what we've done all along and that nothing will change. Nonsense. If I pay extra money to join the DC for points, I don't get enough points to "rent" my week using the points. Inflated value of points means my inflated annual maintenance fee is no longer in proportion to the actual cost of having a legacy ownership. I feel abused. Even trip advisor.com claims there are "weeks available for rent in your time request" but they are weeks rented through agencies and they won't assure me that the weeks actually exist until I go through the hassle of "booking". I think we've had it with Marriott and resale is sounding smarter all the time.

kenb189 wrote:
I own several weeks at Marriott properties for many years and once was a great fan of the Marriott organization. However, that changed with my experiences at Aruba Ocean Club and Cypress Harbor but I will save that for another day. When I purchased my weeks years ago, key factors were Marriott promoting certain advantages of its time share program e.g. renting additional weeks at a reduced owner's price at Vacation Club properties and using Honored Guest points at hotel properties. Over the years Marriott and its properties have and continue to eliminate these qualities that made Marriott stand out as a premier time share company.

First to go was the owner's rate at vacation club properties. I tried several years ago to rent in Lake Tahoe as a Marriott owner and was given a very high price. I decided to call back and inquired about the rental price without identifying myself as an owner, and guess what, it was the same price. Next and more recently, what has been your experience in trying to use your Honored Guest points at Marriott Hotels? In years past, it was a real benefit, today it is almost non existent if you try to use in prime areas at popular times of year; it doesn't matter if you try to book a year in advance. I have not even mentioned the Marriott latest gimmick- the point's program-wonder if that is undermining the ability of owners who do not participate in using these and other various so-called benefits.

So when Marriott promotes these benefits, just take it with what they call "a grain of salt."

Cynthia Vaida

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.