Buying, Renting, and Selling Timeshares

Want to rent but asking for money order or cashiers check, entire amount at once.

May 24, 2016

Would like to rent a certain timeshare, but have concerns as they are asking for all money paid via money order cashiers check up front before name will be changed on the rental. What is the standard way of handling payment for rentals? What is the best way to handle this safely? Tried to contact resort to verify ownership, but privacy laws preventing them from sharing that info. Please Help...

Caroline F.
May 24, 2016

Hi Caroline,

You will find our recommended steps for a safe transaction on this page: Stay Safe

If you have further questions or need assistance, please Contact Us

Phyllis

RedWeek Support
RedWeek.com
May 24, 2016

I think some of those are outdated, our resorts wont give answers to anybody about my ownership. I think that info is private now by law. I'm a points owner maybe not at that particular resort.

I can give you a reservation number and my name to call the front desk to assure it is reserved, but not if I'm making the reservation specifically for you. I would ask for a $300 deposit (PayPal) to make the reservation for you because making the reservation cost money. You can call and verify your reservation than send me the balance snail mail within 7 days. If use PayPal for the full amount I add a 3% up-charge to cover the fee. 50% would be great to start. I am in control of my rental, if I don't get my money, I take your name off the reservation. You will pay the balance once you confirm the reservation is in your name , and you have confirmed it is what you wanted. I think I would have trouble renting if I asked for 100% upfront for our first transaction.

Trust goes both ways, our biggest hurdle. We really only want to rent our places as bad as you want to go on those vacations. Once we have done a deal we should be friends for life.

Dave

Last edited by davidg1131 on May 24, 2016 08:41 PM

May 28, 2016

I always ask for a reference from someone else that has rented from them. I never pay the entire amount at once. Usually 1/2 and the second half at a later date. I never send a cashiers check or money order! , only a personal check. Hope this helps.

Jan K.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.