Ask RedWeek

Need to sell the week I rented

Jun 06, 2021

My husband just found out he has an overseas trip the week (7/3-10) we have booked for the Grand Dunes in Myrtle Beach. I cannot cancel or exchange my week. I am not the owner. Am I able to sell the week on rented on here? Waiting to hear back from Redweek. Any suggestions would be helpful. Many thanks, Colleen D

Colleen D.
Jun 07, 2021

colleend194 wrote:
My husband just found out he has an overseas trip the week (7/3-10) we have booked for the Grand Dunes in Myrtle Beach. I cannot cancel or exchange my week. I am not the owner. Am I able to sell the week on rented on here? Waiting to hear back from Redweek. Any suggestions would be helpful. Many thanks, Colleen D

It’s not clear from your post exactly from whom who you are renting this week. Generally speaking, you cannot rent out a week to someone else if you do not actually own that week --- it's simply not yours to do anything with except occupy the week you rented. This is equally true for RCI and II exchanges, Last Calls and Getaways.

A properly prepared rental agreement will very specifically prohibit a tenant from sub-leasing to someone else without the knowledge and overtly expressed approval of the owner of the week. In essence, the owner's rental agreement is with YOU --- and no one else. You have no legal standing (or any lawful right) to then try to rent out to someone else a timeshare week that you do not own in the first place.

Your best (maybe your only) option is to see what you can work out directly with the entity with whom you conducted the rental. With less than 30 days to work with now however, you may simply be out of luck and you may have to forfeit any payments made. It is frankly not reasonable to expect an owner to be able to magically find another tenant for a timeshare week already rented (to you) with occupancy beginning in just a very few weeks. Still, I wish you good luck.

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Jun 09, 2021 01:41 PM

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.