Buying, Renting, and Selling Timeshares

Hilton Grand, The Elara......question about selling or giving back

Aug 29, 2022

I have a question about my timeshare at The Elara. It's a one bedroom deluxe, even years floating. I've owned it since 2008 and own it outright. I'm moving into retirement years and was thinking of trying to get rid of it. Has anyone had any experiences with Westgate Legacy program or any advice on what to do . I know there is no profit and sometimes you have to pay to get rid of it but was curious if anyone has gone through the process. Thank you.

Gregory G.
Aug 31, 2022

gregoryg137 wrote:
I have a question about my timeshare at The Elara. It's a one bedroom deluxe, even years floating. I've owned it since 2008 and own it outright. I'm moving into retirement years and was thinking of trying to get rid of it. Has anyone had any experiences with Westgate Legacy program or any advice on what to do . I know there is no profit and sometimes you have to pay to get rid of it but was curious if anyone has gone through the process. Thank you.

Only Westgate can definitively answer whether or not your particular timeshare would be considered for "deedback" under their Legacy program; Westgate "cherry picks" what they will or will not take back. If eligible, all fees would have to be completely paid up to date and you can rest assured that they will charge you somewhere in the neighborhood of $1,500 for the "privilege" of giving the timeshare ownership back. How very kind of them, no?

The (only?) good news about Westgate's "Legacy" (deedback) program is that, if eligible, despite the hefty mandatory cost, your "exit" would be lawful, efficient and permanent. There is something to be said for that since Westgate timeshares are essentially worthless in the resale marketplace and your only other realistic option would be to just stop paying them and ultimately let them foreclose on the now-unwanted ownership.

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Sep 01, 2022 05:49 AM

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.