Buying, Renting, and Selling Timeshares

Rookie Questions - Buying a Resale

Apr 06, 2023

We are looking to find a timeshare in Las Vegas near or on the Strip. In addition, We are not looking to stay a week but be able to stay 3 to 4 times or more from Thursday - Sunday? New to Timeshares. Any guidance?

Herschel F.
Apr 07, 2023

herschelf3 wrote:
We are looking to find a timeshare in Las Vegas near or on the Strip. In addition, We are not looking to stay a week but be able to stay 3 to 4 times or more from Thursday - Sunday? New to Timeshares. Any guidance?

Most timeshare ownerships are full week ownerships, for which you pay a fixed annual maintenance fee amount, regardless of how many of those 7 days you actually choose to occupy and use.

Some “chain” systems (Wyndham comes to mind as one such system) have “club points” memberships, allowing you to reserve and utilize partial weeks instead of whole weeks (if/when space is actually available). There are also ownerships in RCI Points that may provide access to partial weeks.

Just offering you the above few general observations; I know nothing specific about Las Vegas. Frankly, you have lot of research to do to learn what might best suit your particular objectives. It might very well turn out that a timeshare purchase in Las Vegas is truly NOT the best or most cost efficient choice for your goals. Good luck.

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Apr 23, 2023 05:00 PM

Apr 19, 2023

Tahiti Village in Las Vegas, right on the south end of the strip Love it there, just don't get to use ours as often now

Large property with a huge Pool area, Sand Beach, Lazy River and Bar Service, 2 Hot Tubs, one being Adult only Restaurant on site and Bar, Massage Services, Coffee Shop and Pizza, Denny's 50' away Shuttle Service every 1/2 hr and stops down at the Mirage and Tropicana, so great depending on which way you want to walk the strip Oversized vehicle lot that worked well for us this year as we travelled home with truck and trailer 5 Separate Bldg's with views of the strip or overlooking the Pool/River area

1500 sq ft units, and with RCI, you can split to a 3/4 day stay, or just book the full week and leave when you want Multi million dollar renovations planned shortly as well

Cam S.
Apr 23, 2023

We are also owners at Tahiti Village (Bora Bora 1 BR with full kitchen) and can book a 3, 4 or 7 days with the resort or through RCI, plus our unit earns 47,700 RCI points a yeas so we can use those for any RCI exchange if we want to stay elsewhere. Maintenance fees are around $650/year, plus the RCI Platinum membership (around $200, I believe).

We really enjoy the resort and location, but life has changed and we're not using it as much as we would like to so we will probably be looking to sell it shortly.

...ron

Ron L.
Apr 30, 2023

I am new to this process, never purchased a timeshare before. ... I am looking at purchasing a timeshare in Westin St John resort. But I want to make sure I can get membership points to use elsewhere if I decide not to go the St John in a particular year. I am told that as long as I purchase a unit deeded in the Virgin Grand section, then the buyer can use the Star Points for the unit in other Westin and Sheraton resorts.

Can anyone confirm this??

Steve
May 02, 2023

stephena263 wrote:
I am new to this process, never purchased a timeshare before. ... I am looking at purchasing a timeshare in Westin St John resort. But I want to make sure I can get membership points to use elsewhere if I decide not to go the St John in a particular year. I am told that as long as I purchase a unit deeded in the Virgin Grand section, then the buyer can use the Star Points for the unit in other Westin and Sheraton resorts.

Can anyone confirm this??

You say “I am told” — by whom? Have you asked this question of Westin directly?

It seems to me that getting a definitive answer “straight from the horse’s mouth” is far more prudent than relying upon “input” of uncertain accuracy from unknown people on a Internet discussion forum (or the seller, for that matter, if the seller is the source who “told” you).

You need to dig deeper and smarter for some verification before actually purchasing. Just sayin’…

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on May 02, 2023 05:35 PM

May 04, 2023

Not sure on the Westin specifically - but most companies say they will not honor points, exchanges, and other local benefits to re-sales (only to the original purchaser). You still own the deeded property, its rights, and can do II exchanges and such - just potentially not the management company perks.

John L.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.