General Discussion

Who is still buying timeshare in 2024?

Jan 21, 2024

I am trying to understand why anyone would want to buy timeshare in 2024. My wife and I went to Cancun Reef28 in December 17th - 24th of '23 and we paid less than another couple that has timeshare with Reef28. During my stay, I got bombarded with people who wanted to sell me timeshare. I told them that I work for the United States Federal Trade Commission (FTC) and I am in charge of investigating timeshare sale practices, and I actually showed them the badge (i.e. government issue Identification and NOT the Federal Agent enforcement badge ) that I work for the FTC. They left me alone after that.

I am curious as to why anyone would want to purchase timeshare in 2024.

AdamScott

Last edited by adams589 on Jan 23, 2024 06:28 AM

Jan 21, 2024

It's kind of complicated. But I'll try to break it down into 3 rules we use.

1. Only buy at a resort that you want to visit year after year. 2. Only buy secondhand. Not from the resort, but from a site like Redweek. 3. Only buy weeks.

I'll give you our scenario. We purchased (secondhand) Marriott's Newport Coast Villas years ago for $3500. Dues were about $750 at the time but are now $1600 so I will use current rates. Let's say we are using a fraction of the $3500 initial investment, say $200 plus the yearly dues of $1600. So essentially we are paying $1800 per week for our stay. A week at a hotel (one room and 1 or 2 beds) is around $350-$400 per night plus tax, resort fees, and parking adding up to well over $2700 per week. If we don't use our week we sell it for slightly over the maintenance costs. Run the numbers and you will understand. Most important factor is to not pay the crazy prices the resort tries to get you to pay.

Nathan D.
Jan 22, 2024

adams589 wrote:
I am curious as to why anyone would want to purchase timeshare in 2024.

In NO year is it ever smart to buy ANY timeshare directly from a developer, which is the example that you cite above (and in Mexico, a timeshare does not even involve any actual ownership in the first place; it’s only a RTU (right to use) contract, which is really nothing more than a grossly overpriced “membership”).

There are other timeshare purchase options besides obscene developer pricing. Buying weeks (not points, not RTU contracts) in the secondary (resale) market at prices 95+% LESS than developer pricing can be a great way to buy into guaranteed future vacations at affordable prices. We have done exactly that for nearly 30 years now, owning and using and enjoying several different timeshare weeks, all of them purchased “resale”.

You legitimately question ONE (unwise) timeshare purchase option (buying developer direct), but there are other options. It is a very incomplete picture to look at only (unwise) developer direct purchases. There is also a resale market with very reasonable pricing — comparing those two very different purchase options is basically “comparing apples to oranges”. That being said, ever-increasing maintenance fees for any timeshare ownership is certainly a legitimate (and growing) concern for anyone considering the acquisition of a timeshare, regardless of the source of the purchase.

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Jan 23, 2024 06:28 AM

Jan 22, 2024

I am interested in talking to you and reporting deceptive and false sales practices by Marriott Vacation Clubs if you are truly who you say you are.

How do I reach you?

John G.
Jan 23, 2024

Hi John G.

Yes, I work for the FTC and support the group that investigates deceptive and false timeshare sales practices; however, I work in the technology division support the people that does the investigation. That being said, you can email me all the information and I will be sure to pass this to them.

Best, Adam

AdamScott
Jan 23, 2024

adams589 wrote:
Hi John G.

Yes, I work for the FTC and support the group that investigates deceptive and false timeshare sales practices; however, I work in the technology division support the people that does the investigation.

You previously and specifically stated that you “showed them a badge” while in Mexico. You now state that you work in a “technology division”. I’ve never seen Govt. investigator credentials (“badge”, in your words) issued to tech support personnel.

Edited to add: I see that you later edited your post to clarify your use of the word “badge”. Thank you for doing so.

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Feb 25, 2024 05:28 PM

Jan 23, 2024

@KC, When I say "badge", I mean it is my issue government working ID that I use to get in/out of the FTC building. It has my name, picture and the logo and the "Federal Trade Commision". It is not a cop "badge", it is just the standard FTC issued ID. Before joining the FTC, I used to work for the Security Exchange Commission (SEC) and I also got a working ID from the SEC and it has the SEC logo and the SEC on the ID. That's standard throughout the government

Hope that makes it clear to you.

AdamScott

Last edited by adams589 on Jan 23, 2024 05:50 AM

Jan 23, 2024

adams589 wrote:
@KC, When I say "badge", I mean it is my issue government working ID that I use to get in/out of the FTC building. It has my name, picture and the logo and the "Federal Trade Commision". It is not a cop "badge", it is just the standard FTC issued ID.

Thanks for explaining yourself. When you previously and very specifically used the word "badge", I took that reference to literally mean the BADGE which always accompanies the U.S. Govt. credentials of any and every Federal Agent. The BADGE itself is different for each individual agency, of course, but there is always a BADGE with the credentials. A government employee I.D. is an entirely different animal.

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Jan 23, 2024 03:14 PM

Jan 23, 2024

Here in Washington DC, the term "badge" and "ID" is pretty much the same. You wear the badge (i.e. government issued ID) around your neck and you "badge" in and out of the Federal building.

AdamScott

Last edited by adams589 on Jan 23, 2024 06:35 AM

Feb 14, 2024

Hopefully someone wants to buy timeshares still! I’m gonna be trying to help my parents with their Hilton Points situation. I still have a lot to learn. They have multiple points for different locations…I think. Will probably try to sell one and rent others. Wish us luck!

Catherine K.
Feb 14, 2024

catherinek209 wrote:
I still have a lot to learn. They have multiple points for different locations…I think. Will probably try to sell one and rent others.

Just make sure of what you can realistically expect to get when you "try to sell one and rent others". Don't fall for any scams out there aimed at timeshare owners.

Lance C.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.