The Cliffs at Princeville

Princeville, Hawaii

Timeshare reviews at The Cliffs at Princeville

Princeville, Hawaii

By larryr72 Updated May 11, 2016

We stayed at timeshare resorts in Cancun, Puerto Vallarta, Arizona, and all the Hawaiian Islands. We stopped searching after our first stay at the Cliff's. It's the perfect getaway from Southern California. We have been owners since 2008. We go every year and absolutely love it! We just wish we had more time off from work to travel here more often.

If you're looking for a fast paced resort with pool side bar service that has a trendy restaurant then you'll want to stay somewhere else. But if you're looking for that tropical environment that is peaceful with fully appointed modern units and nearby world class beaches then you'll want to stay here.

By lauries207 Updated Aug 22, 2015

Garden view rooms are next to a small canyon with Avocado, banana, and other edible plants available to guests (you pick). We used to prefer the ocean view but now we like the quiet & foodiness of buildings 1 & 2. Buildings 8 & 9 are about 100 feet back from the cliff edge, with barbeques at either end. Fantastic views of the ocean, & sunrise/sunsets. (North shore, you get to see both!). Definitely take the plant walks available through the activities office, to learn about the medicinal & edible plants on site. There's even a small golf putting green, across from building 2. Solar powered, and adding an edible plants Landscape soon!

By geralds23 Jan 28, 2013

We just stayed at this resort over the Holidays (Christmas for North Shore) and absolutely loved it here. The units are very spacious and clean. Units appear to be renovated recently to a more traditional Hawaiian theme. The pool is a fairly new modern free formed rock pool with waterfalls and hot tubs, including a kids pool area. The tropical breezes were very relaxing and made for good sleeping especially when combined with the surf crashing on the cliffs below. Our favorite thing was watching for Whale spouts on our Lanai while having coffee in the morning and then breakfast. We saw three whale breaches and even more spouts! We will definitely come back here for future visits.

By normn3 Updated Jan 7, 2013

We just got back from New Years, 2013. We stayed in building 4 on the third floor with a partial ocean view. The unit was extremely clean and very well stocked with cooking utensils, plates, cups, etc.

We returned to our favorite beach, Ke'e beach at the west end of the road past Hanalei. It is a beautiful beach to walk and then look back at the Napali Cliffs and the ocean. Sunsets are gorgeous. On the way we stopped at Hanalei Gourmet which is an inexpensive restaurant with good food. On the same note, we stopped another day at the Kilauea Bakery/Grill in Kilauea which also has good food and friendly service for a reasonable price.

We have stayed here twice before, once the week after Thanksgiving and once over the New Years holiday. Both times we stayed in building 7 which is near the cliffs. We saw the state bird of Hawaii, the Nene, a breed of geese which live on the cliffs. The resort has a nice pool, tennis courts, BBQ pits, and a picnic area.

The units were clean and comfortable. My wife likes staying there because it is comfortable and homey. The kitchen was very convenient for breakfast and meals. The resort has walking areas. The crews work very hard to keep the grounds as clean as the interiors. The temperatures were very moderate when we stayed there in December - lows of 68, highs of 84.

For the most part, the staff is very helpful. One staff member directed us to the Limahuli Botanical Gardens about 10 minutes west of Hanalei. We saw irrigation terraces that were build 700 years ago to grow taro. Many native plants are preserved there. You can enjoy a pleasant and peaceful walk through the gardens.

The lighthouse is a wonderful place to visit and hang out. Make sure that you make it there. The views, the pounding surf, and the birds never grow old. We also found an organic restaurent called The Garden Cafe which is near the turnoff for the Kilauea lighthouse.

We booked our next trip over spring break 2014. We look forward to returning to Princeville and to the resort.

By sharronj3 Oct 6, 2011

We have been coming here for several years. It is in the best location of the island - north! You have access to the best beaches, and most private. Every time we go anywhere south, we always come back up north to hang out. The facility is great. (It has 2 tennis courts). The units with the ocean views are fabulous! Great sunrise and sunsets. However, I do not like staying on the bottom floor because you can't keep your unit open when you leave. The staff is very attentive. Most all of the units have been remodeled and are clean. A/C - we've been here all times of the year - with the breeze you just don't need it. Bugs - haven't seen any except a gecko.

By dianer285 Aug 25, 2011

Do yourself a favor - stay ANYWHERE else! My husband and I just returned from staying here a week (8/13 to 8/20 '11), and we hated it.

First up . . . entirely too many critter incidents. Then dirty and so DIM! Lastly, NO air conditioning.

The morning after we arrived, I got up and started to walk into the kitchen. There in the middle of the floor was a GIGANTIC spider, the size of the palm of my hand. It was the biggest spider I've ever seen in real life, and we live in Arizona where there are tarantulas and scorpions, OK?! Picked up the circa 1970 5-lb square office desk phone to call the front desk about pest control . . . no dialtone. Plugged into a jack? Yes. Just didn't work. No other phone in the entire joint. Before I had a chance to walk over to the reception bldg to complain, and after I woke up my poor jet-lagged husband to squash it with one of their coffee table magazines, I discovered under the sink a huge can of industrial strength bug killer with directions that said after spraying it around an area, you should "ventilate the area for several hours" before re-occupying the space. Uh-huh. OK, so obviously the killer bugs are a recognized problem, and the "cure" has already been provided. Probably wouldn't do any good to complain about it. Next day, one smaller spider dead already on the kitchen floor. Another day, my husband suddenly grabbed my arm and yanked on me because behind my back a roach was quickly scooting across the kitchen floor in my direction. He ran under the fridge, so he got to live to disgust and frighten new occupants, I guess, this week.

We didn't realize until we'd gotten our timeshare exchange confirmation certificate that this place had no air conditioning. No air, in Hawaii, in August, is ridiculous. At the place we stayed on the big island last year, we were at least given the option to pay EXTRA to turn on the air. Here - no option. We were told by someone that it's a little cooler up in the northern Princeville area, so maybe it wouldn't be a problem. But it was - 80's and 90's while we were there, and were very uncomfortable. There was a ceiling fan in the living room and bedroom, but it didn't help much; they weren't very fast.

We arrived about 7pm, it was already getting dark, so we didn't realize how dim it would be inside our unit during the day. There were only 2 ceiling lights, in the kitchen and a dim one in the dining area. Otherwise, there were lamps in the other rooms - not enough of them, and with very weak bulbs. One of the lamps could only be turned on and off by plugging and unplugging it. I personally needs lots of light and bright and sunshine to feel my best, so I found the lighting issue made this even more of a depressing place to stay.

Could go on - kitchen counter wasn't cleaned when we got there, old old furniture and bathroom fixtures, etc., but I think I've said enough.

If you decide to stay here anyway, all I can say is I hope you love cats because the resort is home to an extended family of strays. If you're on the ground floor (we were) one or more of them will definitely and daily grace your patio with their presence, meowing and begging for food. DON'T feed them! Unless you love cats ALOT!

By jhanie May 14, 2011

Ocean front condo which has been newly remodeled. Has fully equipped kitchen, and washer/dryer. Over 20 acres includes new pool, tennis courts, childrens play area, basketball, and world class golf nearby. Beautiful beaches, waterfalls, and rivers within a short driving distance. Magnificent sunsets while sitting on the lawn over looking the cliffs. Incredible snorkling at base of the cliffs early in the morning. A difficult path to manuever for the faint of heart but the results are worth it. See Pods of turtles swimming within the caves of the cliffs. After trading into the Cliffs for my first vist two years ago I ended up buying a one bedroom unit. Then this past August I purchased a second unit, a 2bedroom loft. Just can't get enough of the Island of Kauai. In fact, heading back again for 2 weeks in Aug 2011.

By aora Updated Dec 14, 2010

Fantastic location with gorgeous views of Bali hai and the ocean. Princeville is exclusive with a great gold course. Units are spacious and 1 bedroom unit has 2 full baths and 2 couples can stay at one time. Only negative - no beachfront access but one can go to Hanalei Bay Resort for that. Would stay there again in a heartbeat.

By kcottle Updated Jan 5, 2010

I have stayed at The Cliffs Club five times now - twice as an exchange, twice as a rental and I have liked it so much I bought a week and stayed most recently as an owner. I used to prefer the Pahio resorts (now Wyndham) but find I now like The Cliffs better than all of them except the Shearwater.

The resort sits at the top of a cliff on the North Shore, which is one of the most beautiful places I have ever been, and has great views. None of the resorts on the north shore are on a beach; all are up on the bluffs and only a few of them are ocean front/view. The Cliffs is one of those few that enjoy a great view. Three of the buildings are ocean front, three are ocean view and three are garden view. The resort just completed a lovely new pool, and has been in the process of redoing all the units. They're doing two or three buildings a year and soon they will all be updated. I've stayed most frequently in one of the buildings still waiting to be updated (building five), however all the units were very comfortable and in good condition. I've found it in better condition than many of the resorts on the north shore (I have happily stayed at nearly all of them), and now with the new pool and hot tubs it is really very nice. I also like that the pool is open until 10pm. Several of the other resorts close their pools early, some even at sunset!

As stated in other reviews, the resort does not have A/C. Very few resorts on the north shore do. It is nice to stay on the 2nd or 3rd floor where you can leave your doors and windows open all the time. However, in my most recent stay I was assigned a 1st floor unit. I was a bit worried about not being able to keep the doors open all night, but was happy to find the ground floor unit pleasantly cool. I expect there are some weeks during the year when it would get a bit hot.

My only complaint is the charge for internet access, which some other resorts offer free.

By patriciad144 Updated Aug 16, 2009

Just returned from the Cliffs as part of a Shell vacations Explorer Package. We spent part of the time here, and another week at the Kauai Coast Beachboy in Kapa'a, also a Shell resort. The Beachboy was far superior in many ways, especially the comfort of the king size bed, although the Cliffs was still fine and was convenient to the North Shore sights.

The units do not have A/C and the washer/dryer is apartment size, so if you have a family, the laundry is small. You absolutely cannot be on the ground level either because in order to stay cool, you need to leave both sliding doors open to cross-ventilate the unit. This definitely would impact your private life if older children were sleeping in the nearby living room/guest area. Also, there is no beach at this resort so you do need a car to fully enjoy the area. Kauai is paradise.... my favorite of the Hawaiian Islands. Most of the beaches on the north shore require a hike down a cliff (hence, the name? duh) to get to them. I recommend Anini Beach, which is a short drive away, easy to swim and snorkel and has plenty of parking. There are many secluded beaches on Kauai and they are the most beautiful beaches I have ever seen. I swam in waterfalls and snorkeled with turtles on Kauai. It is breath-taking. You really need to get out and explore this island!!!!!

While overall I liked this resort, I would not return unless I had no other options because of the lack of A/C, bed comfort level, and also the lack of a beach. There also was no fitness center at this resort. I also found it tacky that they charge for the wi-fi connection, but I paid the $35 for the week. The staff was fine and the unit was well-appointed with all that we needed. One thing I will say is that the rugs inside the unit needed to be cleaned. The soles of my feet were black from just walking inside this unit.

Overall I give it 3.5 stars for its North Shore location, and the size of the one bedroom -two bath unit itself.

By geoffn2 Updated Jan 15, 2009

My wife and I were at the Cliffs in December, 2007 and hoping to return this year. I've been to the Cliffs 5 times since the mid 1980s and have always been happy with our visit. I have stayed in the 1br, 2br and loft units and have found them all extremely spacious, well laid out, clean and comfortable. We are looking forward to the newly renovated Administration Building and the pool area that is expected to be fully rebuilt by spring 2009. The area is quiet and peaceful, a short walk from the spectacular cliffside view. You can spend your entire vacation on the North Shore and never get tired of it. If you are looking for a retreat from the stress of daily life, you will never want to leave this beautiful Island. Some have said that prices are higher on the North Shore, but we've found that the Foodland market is very reasonable. Make sure you sign up for the Makai Card that will give you many discounts. We didn't find the prices much higher than prices we pay at home in Alberta, Canada. Make sure you visit Hanalei and spend a morning walking around town. Surf lessons in Hanalei Bay are great fun and not too intimidating. Snorkeling is fantastic almost anywhere. Evenings at the Tahiti Nui are always fun, with local musicians adding Hawaiian flavour to the tropical nights. Did I mention that we love it here?

By sbright500 Feb 13, 2008

There is a very good reason that the Cliffs Club is rated a Gold Crown through RCI and 5 Stars with Interval International. It's just that nice. We have owned for many years and had traded through both RCI and II prior to owning. The ocean breezes are delightful, and we have never found the lack of air conditioning to be a problem. We are generally there in March, April or May however, so we can't speak for the summer months. The Robert Trent Jones Princeville Golf course is adjacent to the property, as well as the gorgeous NaPali coastline with its beautiful white sandy beaches and hiking trails up and down the ocean cliffs. The helicopter flights over Kauai's mountainous terrain and waterfalls are unsurpassed. The Fern Grotto is beautiful as well. A great resort.

By sjd2 Nov 29, 2007

We traded into a 1 bedroom, 2 bath unit. It was spacious and newly remodeled with new appliances, flooring, paint and furniture. The staff was knowledgeable and helpful. While not on the beach, the view and sunsets from the cliff were marvelous. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay here.

By katyf5 Jun 13, 2007

This is a great resort to go to. I really like staying in building 5 in that it is right next to the pool and sport court. The adult spa is nice and hot under the palm trees and moonlit night is great.

The rooms have a really comfortable couch so much so I considered getting one for my house great for watching movies or TV. It has a nice kitchen and dining, washer and dryer and two full baths. You can get a key to use the in room safe for a small per day fee.

I really like being able to cook our own meals with a grocery store 5 min away makes that easy.

We would go into kapaa to get our starbucks each day 1/2 hr away, and go shopping at the coconut plaza and stop by our favorite sandal and flip-flop store "Soul Mates" the best, we usually get a few pairs each year we go.

The expectation should be of the cliffs club is, it’s a condo, and looks as such, but the furniture is nicely appointed and is not the light weight wicker you find in most rooms in Hawaii.

The kitchen is nice in that it has windows to look out while cooking the dining room table is a glass top with cushioned chairs. There are two TVs one in the master and one in the living room. there are two balconies, we always stay in a one bedroom that sleeps 4.

The cliffs club is going through pool update and is going to be looking liked a lava stone lagoon style deal is what we found out the last time we went. we have gone three times now, the sport court was a new add on and was not there the first two times.

the pool is a basic pool but it does the trick at night when it is lit up and go for a dip to cool off from being the super hot adult spa. the pool also has a spa connected to it.

We really like to head to the spa after being at the beach all day and after a ride home in a jeep convertable because it warms you up.

you can bring your steaks down to the pool area and barb-q them while you are in the spa, then go back to your room and eat your dinner its perfect.

The staff we see them when we check in and when we check out.

Rent a jeep wrangler there is more of a driving adventure on Kauai and you can go scout out things better in a jeep and you will have the top down most of the time.

By barbaral102 Mar 28, 2007

Must have been nice at one time, but is not up to date. Not as clean as it could be and the staff is pretty aloof. We wouldn't recommend it.

By davidb46 Jan 22, 2007

We just stayed here in January. Unit was OK. Big unit with nice Master, living space and loft for some privacy. Dated and worn furniture. Grounds nice, but only one pool which is in poor shape. Playground and sports court was nicer than pool. Odd?

Staff seemed to care less that we were there. On- site activity people were lousy!

Not really close to much. It felt like they were more interested in owners than guests. Won't stay here again or recommend to friends.

By marieb40 Dec 13, 2006

Great location. Beautifully appointed. Management is attuned to providing the best accomodations.

By linda940 Updated Nov 4, 2006

location, location, location. Unfortunately if you do not own at this location you will not get a desirable unit. One building is between two parking lots, one used for employees who arrive at 8 a. m. and leave at 5 p.m. and visit their cars during the day, often using their horn-beep lock feature. When I made a comment at the desk that I felt I was in the middle of a parking lot, the reply was,"you are". Another building is near an entrance road on one side and dense vegetation on the other. A better location, but still not that desirable. Good luck getting into a better located unit! After reading other reviews it seems satisfaction is high if you are lucky in the location, low if you have a unit like we had.

By lulu_k56 Updated Apr 29, 2006

We just returned from a week at the Cliffs. We really liked this place in fact I would have given it a 5 star review if the pool area wasn't so basic. The great part is that we had an ocean view unit on the 3rd floor with a loft that would easily sleep 8. We had ultimate privacy and never closed the sliding doors to the lanais. There is no airconditioning but with the tradewinds you really don't need it at all. The kitchen was fully equipped and we ate on the lanai for all our meals. They have lots of bbqs on the property to use. The location is great and the people in Princeville area are really nice. We went for walks in the morning and saw some baby albatrosses! The best beaches are in the North Shore, just a short drive from the resort. We payed to have high speed internet in our room so we could keep up on what was happening at home. There are lots of pretty birds everywhere and flowers too. We had so many things that we wanted to do that we ran out of time. The groceries in Princeville are a little steep but we drove to Kapaa to Safeway and saved a little money. The gas is cheaper there too and it's only about 30 minutes away. We are considering buying something here because it impressed us so much! And like the previous person said, the upgrades to the place are wonderful! They were resurfacing the tennis courts while we were there! All the furniture was new in the units and they were decorated really cute!

By marguerite9 Feb 2, 2006

We just returned from 3 weeks on Kauai with one week being spent at the Cliffs Resort. We stayed in two units because I injuried by ankle and had trouble with the steps. The staff was wonderful and immediately moved us to a ground floor unit for the remainder of the week. Both units were furnished nicely and very clean. Even with the bad ankle, we found plenty to do and see. We can't wait to return. The upgrading that a previous reviewer said was needed seems to be progressing very nicely. We were not disappointed.

By billy168 Aug 27, 2005

The Cliffs club is one of the best on Kuaia. The new furniture is great, and the staff gives that Aloha spirit something extra. We always have a refreshing stay, that is always too short a time!

By johnfornal Updated Aug 9, 2005

Just got back from a great week at the Cliffs...unit #6101...oceanfront with only the grassy knoll in between...

The Princeville area is the high rent district on the island but the people are as nice as anywhere...

Kauai's natives have retained the "Aloha spirit" of treating guests as they themselves would like to be became very easy for us to pass the spirit made for a warm and wondeful vacation

The Cliffs are very well located in this controlled community and the planned improvements to the pool and rec center encouraged me to buy a resale unit...

You can walk to the world class Princeville Hotel and a few secret spots...QBath..etc

We will go back many times...

Just read the review above and was shocked...The resort was entirely rebuilt in 2000-2001 and this guest must have had a bad experience with some things...there are several units that don't have an ocean view...but mine does

The pool is slated to be replaced so that makes sense but this is the only negative review I have ever heard about this place.

By bruce17 Mar 17, 2005

This resort may have been a great place at one time but it is in bad need of a makeover. I just returned from a stay in a 1br plus loft. While the unit was clean and very spacious everything else was average at best. The furniture was old and very basic. The bed was not comfortable. The blinds were in need of repair and the carpet was stained. From the name and the pictures you would expect awesome views but most units (including mine) had a view of a parking lot or open grassy area. The resort facilities were very old. The pool is small, in an enclosed cemented courtyard with very little landscaping. It was chipped and needed to be resurfaced and while they claim it was solar heated it was 70 degrees at most. By the way none of the units have heat nor are portable heaters available and the temps dropped into the low 50's at night. If you are looking for basic accomodations in the Princeville area than this will work but dont expect much more.

By dalejan Updated Sep 21, 2003

Our unit, #1304, was on the third floor in the middle of the building. It has been completely and beautifully refurbished. Every item was new, except the refrigerator, which worked very well, anyway. Both lanais provided nice views, with the main lanai, off the living room, being the best. Since the main lanai faced the northeast, a delightful, "just right" breeze cooled the unit with wonderful cross ventilation. Many rooms in the middle of buildings can be dark, because of windows only in the front and back of the unit. The rooms on the 3rd floor of all the Cliffs' buildings have large windows near the ceiling of the loft, which provides marvelous lighting all day. The high ceilings add to the feeling of spaciousness and brightness in the entire unit. We were very pleased with our 3rd floor assignment, even though there are no elevators.

The ocean was visible on the horizon to the northeast, and a wide, tropically forested ravine provided buffer space for privacy and quiet. We had one bedroom and a loft - both were quite large. There were two identical bathrooms downstairs. We were able to leave our lanai doors open all the time (with the screen doors closed, of course).

Brenda Duncan, who is the Owner Services Manager and in charge of reservations, was exceptionally helpful, and remained with us after her working day ended to help us settle in.

There is no air conditioning, but we never needed it, anyway. The putting green was a little bumpy, but still useful for practice. The tennis courts and pool were in good conditon.

By allisonfarris Updated Sep 7, 2003

Great place in a great location! Not as "plush" as some other condos, but very nice, comfortable, clean and spacious units that are well maintained. We had awesome tradewinds, so were very comfortable with no A/C. While buildings 8 and 9 have the best ocean views, we had a nice view from building 1. They are building new pool, tennis courts and rec building this year. We were treated very well as I.I. exchangers.

By sportznut55 Jul 19, 2003

Cliffs Club is only good when you have a unit that overlooks the ocean. Not just for the view, but because without Air Conditioning, you have to rely on the "Trade Winds" to cool down you room. I could barely sleep, it was so hot. Room was nice enough, just TOO HOT. I got the feeling that I.I. members were considered 2nd class citizens.

By marksbabe1 Apr 14, 2003

The condos are updated, clean and quite large. The service was excellent. The only thing that I could find fault with was that the gardeners were outside mowing at 7:00 am, but everything is so well maintained that you can hardly complain. You will instantly relax here.

By regmont Feb 3, 2003

This resort has essentially been rebuilt since hurricane Iniki hit over 10 years ago. We love the solitude, the sound of the waves crashing below and whale watching from one of our two lanais. The service is top drawer. The units are also huge. We were able to relax instantly.

By elvinhayns Oct 23, 2002

This resort is undergoing a complete renovation. The buildings and interiors are completed and are first class. A new visitors center is being constructed and the grounds and parking areas will be improved. The resort is located in a beautiful setting and soon will be living up to its Gold Crown status.