Ocean Sands Spa & Resort

Virginia Beach, Virginia

Reviews of Ocean Sands Spa & Resort

Virginia Beach, Virginia

3.5

Have you been to Ocean Sands Spa & Resort lately?

By irma18 Nov 20, 2011

GREAT RESORT! Spent 1 week back in APRIL 2011. Newly renovated facility.( money well spent). Right on the Ocean front/boardwalk. Friendly STAFF and GREAT family atmosphere.

By marina96 Jun 30, 2010

The ugliest looking building on the boardwalk, but clean and freshly renovated inside with flat screen TV in each room.. The rooms are very small but tastefully decorated and comfortable. You don't have a balcony, only wall to wall window with the breath taking view of the ocean. Perfect location, in the middle of the resort, close to all.

By thunderdad Updated Aug 10, 2009

Staff we encountered were friendly and helpful. Resort has excellent location, plenty of entertainment. Everything is within walking distance. Would return and plan to do so. 2009- exterior has been remodled, building looks great. our room was remodled, new pillow top matress, 2 lcd tv's (large)

By lanitap Updated Apr 4, 2009

After reading previous reviews we were hesitant to accept this trade, but hey, it's on the beach and was a lucky trade at last minute for Spring Break (April, 2nd 2009). We were NOT dissappointed. They told me the place was recently remodeled so the older reviews are definately out of date. The parking lot is decent, and the place has been newly renovated. The lobby is cozy beach decor. The place has a re-decorated pool area (decent sized pool) with a hot tub, all indoor. They have a media room with internet access free (you pay to print), no wi-fi though. They have a beach style restaurant onsite, that serves drinks beachside/boardwalk side and indoors. The food is decent and the drinks are too. Prices are fine. They have a gym small but stuff is in good condition. They give FREE van service to Williamsburg, the Zoo, Norfolk for sight seeing and shopping. The room we stayed in was 1002, which we had to tke the 2nd elevator to (the first elevator only goes to the 6th floor). The elevator wasn't so pretty but I didn't care. The one bedroom was Ocean front, and the one dissappointment was no oceanfront balcony. You just have a huge window looking at the beach but you can't open it. However, I didn't mind as I sat there eating my breakfast bug and wind free, while looking out at the beach. This place is right on the beach, so you walk out the door and you are on the boardwalk, a nice perk. The room was recently updated so the stove is flat top, the microwave new. The pull out couch in good shape (not plush but useable). The pull out couch sleeps 2, and also there is a small 4 person table with the 2 extra chairs in the closet. The bedroom had a Queen sized bed, and you have a VCR in the living area, and a DVD player in the bedroom. The bedroom also has a nice chair/ottoman set that I used often. The chair wasn't plush but was comfortable. The liv/din area floor was tiled. The bathroom has a standard sized whirlpool tub, which my kids loved by the way. This place is in a great location. We parked the car and didn't drive anywhere. We walked to all the restaurants, we used the FREE van service to Williamsburg, the Zoo, and Norfolk and it was a great vacation for me since my husband didn't come and it was me alone with 3 kids. I give this a 7 out of 10 rating only because of the elevator, and the fact that some areas are outdated or seem dingy.

By kerrip7 Nov 16, 2007

We stayed here and we thought it was the best location on Virginia Beach. Everyone was so friendly and hearing the waves crash by your window was spectacular. The pool has just been renovated and it is very nice. It is all about location and this one can't be beat!

By kenm26 Jun 16, 2007

This is a great resort! Beach front, and right in the middle of the weekend street entertainment. The units have oversized bathrooms, the flooring is mostly ceramic tile which is easy to keep clean and sanitary (no stains or smells from previous guests), and it has a fully equipped kitchen. Computers with high speed Internet are even available.

By vanessam32 Jul 6, 2006

Very dirty, staff was not helpful and gave poor customer service. Would never recomend.

By d292 Updated Mar 5, 2006

We rented a one bedroom one bath unit at the Ocean Sands in the summer of 2005 and had a great time! Our room was ready for us at out check in time and the front desk was very friendly and helpful.

The have internet access available 24 hours in a relaxing and comfortable room with multiple computers.

The room was spacious and had new appliances and everything that we needed for our stay.

I enjoyed my stay so much that I contacted the sales staff and requested a meeting to see if they had any units available to purchase... and I ended up buying a one bedroom unit in a red week!

I had my window open the whole time there and as it is on the ocean front the soothing sounds of the ocean lulled me into the best sleep that I have had in ages!!! I highly recommend this location that is steps from the ocean and a great concrete boardwalk. Though there is a restaurant on-site there are lots of great restaurants within walking distance.

If you love music and great food, Virgia Beach in the summertime is the place to visit!!!!

By cheryl418 Sep 2, 2004

I have never in my life been treated so poorly as I was treated at this so-called resort. Apparently, the managers of The Ocean Sands are unaware of their inclusion in the hospitality industry. I made reservations on- line and received confirmation of the reservation. Upon arriving with my husband and two children, who had just spent twelve hours traveling, I was informed that our room was damaged the week prior by a storm and would be out of commission for the week. Not only had they failed to contact us before we made our journey, they took it upon themselves to determine that we would be happy to stay at their sister resort, 2 1/2 blocks from the beach. I asked to see the damaged room. The desk clerk informed me that she didn't know what rooms were damaged. Then I asked to speak to a manager. We were not alone in this situation, two other families were in the lobby also being told the same story. The clerk spoke to someone in the office, behind a closed door, then returned to pick up the phone and some very angry man preceeded to scream, "Everyone must vacate the premises immediately or the police will be called." I told my husband that we would come back later and maybe there would be someone else behind the counter to speak to. Eventually, we agreed to stay at their sister resort until morning when we would be contacted by another manager who would be in at 8 a.m.

The ordeal continues: The next morning at 10 o'clock we still had not heard from anyone, but now knew of 5 other families who arrived to find themselves without a room. Some had booked with the resort in person and paid cash, so it was not just the on-line guest who were mistreated. I decided to go to the Ocean Sands in person to check on the status of our room. The manager told me that she was in the middle of her morning deposit and that I needed to go back to my room at The Atrium and wait for her to contact me, it should be before 12:30 p.m. I preceeded to cause a seen in the lobby, informing other guest of our treatment. I then left and found a new place to stay, on the beach, where we were treated with respect. I would never contact this place again and am intent on imforming everyone I can in order to spare them the frustration of such an ordeal. We wasted the first 24 hours of aour vacation dealing with The Ocean Sands. We were in Virginia Beach the week of July 18th-24th.

By schultzie6 Mar 17, 2004

Our family of 6 travels extensively; especially because we own over 20 timeshares along the East Coast. The Ocean Sands has location, location, location! The resort is situated right on the boardwalk and beach. You can't ask for a better spot.

We are owners at the Ocean Sands, our 2 bedroom lock-out is spacious and very nicely decorated. Many on-site activities/amenties for the young family or young-at-heart.

We specifically purchased a deeded May timeshare because the weather is fantastic but you'll never deal with crowds.