Steele Hill Resorts - West

Sanbornton, New Hampshire

Reviews of Steele Hill Resorts - West

Sanbornton, New Hampshire

3.5

Have you been to Steele Hill Resorts - West lately?

By elizabethb377 May 14, 2013

First, I will say this is a beautiful location! But be forewarned this is not where you come for a romantic quiet weekend. This is a family resort, no two ways about it.

The condo rooms are odd. You walk up a flight of stairs to get to the front door. Then you open the door to your unit and walk down stairs to get to one bedroom, and then up a flight of stairs to get to the living area. We stayed in West which seemed very dated but clean (sadly the room we got was NOTHING like the one shown on the website and our view was of a muddy driveway and trees with no leaves) - the condo had everything we needed except a teapot - and it connected us to the big pool and gym which was handy. One thing that was not good was the hallways always smelled like someone had just cooked fish - it was just awful, and packs of kids were constantly running up and down the hallway (I am guessing to the pool and back to their rooms) which was really loud. The free wifi was great except it was often down or very slow which was annoying.

The big pool (which was nice but again, looked much nicer on the website than it actually was) was so loud and crowded when we were there - there was not a chair to be found and families must have camped out the whole day - I was constantly stepping on wet Goldfish crackers and the like - they should not allow food on the pool deck. It's pretty gross. I will say there were lots of people with multiple body piercings and tattoos the week we were here, and not much Lilly Pulitzer, LL Bean and Ralph Lauren - typically I am used to the latter, not that it was ever a problem, but just temper your expectations.

We rented for a week and 1/2 through the stay we had our towels refreshed and beds made. I would have been happy if they would have run a vacuum through the unit which you'd think would not have been a big deal, but they didn't, and yet the housekeeping staff left tip envelopes in two places in the condo.

The Hilltop for Sunday brunch was very mediocre. It's $13.95 for adults and $8.95 for kids, so not outrageous except it isn't that great. Three of us ordered tea and the little pots the water was brought in actually had a layer of dust on them. The omelet station was good, the other hot buffet food was okay - scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage, pancakes, waffles - several lunch options too. The pastries were not great. The only drinks you get with your meal are coffee and tea - everything else is a la carte. The view is amazing, so if you convince yourself that's what you are actually paying for, you'll probably be happy.

The Hilltop and Tova's Tavern both have the same menu, but I preferred eating in Tova's. It was more relaxed and casual. My husband had the fish sandwich several times and likes it, I had the crab cakes which were small for the price, but good, and the rest of the time we had burgers. The mussels were also good. Reasonable prices, friendly servers.

I thought the front desk staff was nice, but could be slightly more knowledgeable about things to do. Every time I asked they suggested the outlet mall or the Funspot arcade.

This area in April isn't that exciting. The resort's hiking trails were very muddy, and most local attractions are not open until May. We went to Meredith to walk around twice, and to Laconia once. It was a nice change of scenery for a week, but I would not suggest going during mud season.

My general rule when staying at a hotel for a vacation is the room needs to be as nice as my home (which is not some luxury palace, mind you) or better. I'm not sure this made my cut. It would have, had the room we got looked like the one on the website. I'd consider going back in the summer, but not during mud season again.

By mike1536 Jul 8, 2008

Steele Hills West are 2 BR townhouses. The unit was spacious and comfortable and the staff was very friendly and accomodating. The indoor and outdoor pools were beautiful. There is a flight of stairs for a row of townhouses. The Master BR and the Living area (w/second bedroom) on separate levels. Howewver, there are some handicap accessible units and units with limited stairs.

The location is close to the Lakes Region attractions and was about an hour from the White Mountains. Some area activities are outlet shopping, golfing, boating, and hiking.

Summer and Fall are a great time to be in this region of New England