Barrier Island Station at Duck

Timeshare reviews at Barrier Island Station at Duck

Duck, North Carolina

By ryan233 Updated Apr 16, 2015
    By janetg183 Oct 3, 2011

Oct,2011 We have been resort owners for 6 years and have seen many changes over the years. The landscape has been groomed and tamed of the bramble surrounding many of the units. The pools now have protective gates surrounding both the adult pool and the children's pool. They have a new expanded menu at the outdoor cafe overlooking the pool and the ocean. The beach is just perfect, long, wide and clean. The life guards are always at the beach for your safety. They have chairs and umbrellas to rent at the beach. The indoor pool has been through a rehab and looks updated and comfortable.

By vonnie1 Aug 16, 2010

As owners, we spent our 25th vacation at BIS in July 2010. The resort was beautiful for the first dozen years, or so, and then maintenance began to lag, and by 2003, we were writing letters to the Owners Association urging the board to do something about the situation. Finally, the Association became independent of the other Barrier Island properties and maintenance of BIS-Duck was turned over to a new management company this year. Our unit was very clean, thick towels were in the bathrooms, the internet could be accessed in the Activity Room, good maintenance of the grounds and repairs of structures were evident, including an overhaul of the indoor pool, and the tennis courts had been resurfaced. Huge, new central air conditioners had been installed. We were delighted with the improvement that had been made in 6 1/2 months. There is still work to be done. New siding and windows are needed, and the older units need new furniture. Some need new appliances. All of this is on a schedule to be done. Cleanliness was no longer a problem.

Many reviewers have remarked on the great location of BIS. Let me add our reasons for being glad we own there. After a long drive from Ohio, we are thankful we do not have to crawl up the road in July in bumper-to-bumper traffic any farther then Duck. We love the restaurants in Kitty Hawk and south, so again, in July, we can reach them in a reasonable rate of time. The shopping is great in Duck, and many of the stores are in walking distance from BIS along paved sidewalks. So, besides having a wonderful beach, 2 nice pools, and good tennis courts, BIS is loved by our family for rather easy access to the other areas of the Outer Banks we like to visit.

We're posting this with the hope that people who had a bad experience at BIS will give it another try. It is a family-oriented resort. We are one of many 3 generation families that vacation there. It's not glitzy, but it's comfortable, and now it is clean again. For a reasonable amount of money, you can have a wonderful vacation. Ours was!

By rondaa1 Sep 29, 2009

We stayed here in August 2009. The access to beach and pool are perfect. It’s a scenic setting with beautiful beach. Resort architecture is quaint and varied with wood shingle siding, wood rails and wood decks.

Our unit was on the top level so we had lots of steps but it led to a fantastic view. Unit was nice with new furniture, comfortable bed and new carpet. However appliances were very old. Our dryer was not usable and wasn’t repaired during our stay.

Overall cleanliness of the resort and the unit was ok but less than stellar. Bathrooms were clean and carpet was vacuumed. But the counter tops and tables had to be cleaned by me and there were cobwebs in the corners. In common area the wall of the pool at waterline had a ring of scum all the way around.

There were plenty of chairs for lounging in the sun. Staff was very friendly and our experience was a pleasant and relaxing week.

By lucyh8 Updated Mar 16, 2009

This is a fantastic place. You are going to love it. We have been coming for many years & always have a great time.

It is located directly on a beautiful clean, quite, sandy beach on one side and the sound w/ boating on the other side. The views are beautiful, especially at sunrise and sunset.

The Kitchen have been completely updated with new appliances, etc. It comes with a washer & dryers, which are really convenient.

The rooms are all large and the L.R. has a queen sofa with a fire place and large sundeck. It has a DVD player & VCR.

The outdoor pool is extremely large and beautiful. It also has an indoor heated pool, hot tub, sauna, steam room, exercise room, video games, movies, ping pong, shuffleboard, tennis courts, basketball court, activites, snack shop by pool, outdoor grill, picnic tables, playground, restaurant, fishing, boating, etc.

There are also lots of restaurants, nearby shopping, golf, etc. to go to along with the outlet malls.

You & your family are going to love it here & keep on coming back- -we have!

By williamp162 Aug 28, 2007

I am an owner at this resort and have spent many weeks here - including a week this summer. One of the things that has always appealed to me is the general atmosphere of the resort - with its many trees and bushes and the rather unique buildings and units.

The outdoor pool is one of the largest on the Outer Banks and there is an indoor pool as well, located in the clubhouse. There are also several tennis courts. The beach is wide and clean and in the summer umbrellas and chairs are readily available for a fee.

One of the drawbacks of the resort is that there are no elevators and some of the units are very high - though the upper units have the best views. I have seen complaints in other reviews about the fact that some of the units are not well maintained. However, I have not found that to be true in the units I have stayed in. Also, some of the units are a distance from the beach - though certainly within walking distance.

My enitre family has always looked forward to stayng here and we will be going again next year. I seldom trade my week because this is my favorite resort and the Outer Banks are fabulous!

By hazelg5 Aug 8, 2007

I don't know where these other people with the negative comments stayed, but it definitely was not at Barrier Island Station at Duck and that is for certain. I just came back from a week there in a 1 bedroom unit and was pleasantly surprised at how nice and clean the furniture and carpet and everything inside the condo was and how nicely decorated! It is so spacious and clean and "beachy" looking. There is a tram that runs by every 15 min. or so to take you and all your things to the beach! It is a very nice beach and a Huge Pool. I have been to many other beaches and Barrier Island Sta.- Duck is by far my favorite. I can't wait to go back!

By lindat47 Updated Aug 27, 2006

The resort is in need of a big overhaul. We were there in july '96 and I thought it was great. This year we went the week of July 8. I was very disappointed in the way the resort had not been kept up. Our unit faced the ocean, the location is GREAT and the unit is layed out wonderfully. It was a split foyer and 2 bedrooms and bath were downstairs off from where you come in the foyer. The guest that stayed in the downstairs froze. Only 1 TV and it is little and cable was terrible. Could not see the main networks very well. No DVD player. The furnisher smelt so badly, I had to cover it with layers of sheets and could still smell the horrible odor. The bathtubs were cracked and just ugly. The entire place needs an update and new clean furniture.

The swimming pool is nice and big and a short walk to the ocean if your unit is up front. I have to give the location of the resort a 10 and would return.

By bridgets7 Jul 10, 2006

The best thing about this resort is the location. We rented a 2 bedroom with a loft the week of the fourth. I was very disappointed because although the unit is large, the set-up is not great. We had 2 baths but only one shower. Also, the place is a bit rundown. They need to do a lot of maintenance and a lot of cleaning. My allergies went crazy because of all of the old furnishings. When we had a storm the rain literally came through the walls and door. If they did some maintenance I think they could make this a much more enjoyable place to stay. Lastly, we were in a top unit and had to climb so many stairs so be careful what you rent because some people may not be able to climb the number of stairs that we had.

By sherry539 Sep 10, 2005

Just spent Labor Day week there and loved it. I've been going to the OBX for 25 years and was very pleased with my accommodations - we had a 2 bedroom condo on the top two floors that was extremely spacious- probably about 1400 sq ft - with good views of both the ocean and the sound. The beach was wide and it was nice to have the lifeguards and chair rental services available. And the water in the unit was excellent - we have rented homes for thousands of $$ a week and still had to get our water from the Food Lion so this is a big deal at the Outer Banks. We loved the place and will return.

By ketomkosky Updated Mar 2, 2005

We vacationed at Barrier Island Station - Duck between Christmas and New Year's 2004. I must say, we had a very nice time at the beach. And, the "ocean" is the reason we visit the Outer Banks. We couldn't swim but taking long walks on the beach was great. There were more shells on the beach than there are in the summer.

We rented a two bedroom & I was a little disappointed when I first walked into our accommodations. Would have been nice to have another TV & the decor needs updated. Also, I did not like the location of the jacuzzi in the master bedroom. It is right out in the open so there is no privacy.

It is not as lavish as some resorts. However, it is an oceanfront resort & all units are within walking distance to the beach. I would definitely return.

By cynthia72 Oct 28, 2004

Me & my daughter stayed in a 2 bedroom unit October 24 - 26. The unit was clean, but with only one TV in the living room. No extras. Unit had a old type smell.

Since it was not beach weather we decided to check out the indoor pool and rec. room, this was extremely disappointing, as it was very dirty we did not use this amenity. Uck!!!!!! I guess the only thing good about this resort was the location to the beach. It appears to be an older run down resort. Guest services seemed to be very annoyed with checking people in and also helping guests. The last day we did not have any hot water in the morning, when we called them they were annoyed, and were not able to tell us when or if this would be taken care of. So after waiting around for 3 hours without knowing we decided to leave for home.

We would consider staying here only as a last resort, as it was cheap rent. Maybe stay at the sister resort in Kill Devil Hills since it is newer. But would not consider purchasing here.

By obx Updated May 6, 2004

Great resort; the best of the Barrier Island Station properties. Wonderful beach and good unit amenities.

By heatherdcl Oct 19, 2003

although most units do not have an ocean view, the location on the beach is the main selling feature of this resort. We were there in July so were able to see the beach at its busiest. It was far less crowded and less spoiled than most other Atlantic beaches. Our unit was somewhat disappointing as the paint and woodwork were chipped and scratched, the bar size fridge wasn't cold enough to keep milk and the furniture needed updating. The beach made up for it all though.

By ccmmcc99 Aug 29, 2003

The resort was great. The area was not up to what we expected. The traffic was heavy. It was difficult to get from one place to another. The roads were not able to handle the traffic for a resort area. Have stayed in other places along the coast and it was much better.

Take the Beach Bus Trip when you are there. It was well worth the price.

By fayeoctober Mar 15, 2003

I disagree with the original reviewer as well. I think they were looking at Barrier Island Station in Kitty Hawk which is not on the beach. BIS in Duck is about 10 - 15 years old so it is not brand new but Kitty Hawk is. Even from the farest unit, it is a reasonable walk to the beach. This is an oceanfront resort in one of the nicest areas of the Outer Banks.

By wagnerx Feb 7, 2003

Respectfully disagree with previous reviewer. If you look at the picture on the main listing, the condos are behind the pool, the trees that are in front of the pool are planted on the protective sand dunes that separate the resort from the beach and ocean. You can walk from the beach, through the resort, across the street and onto the sound in less than 15 minutes. There is a shuttle that runs through the resort to carry your umbrellas, coolers, kids and slef to the beach and back.

One bedroom unit has a large jacuzzi in master bath - great way to relax after the beach. Full kitchen, 1.5 bath. Laundry shared with adjoining unit. Nice beach decor. Great indoor pool as well as huge outdoor pool. Very relaxed resort - has the feel of a true unspoiled beach area, does not feel like a cookie cutter resort usually found surrounded with other hotels and condos and concrete (i.e. Virginia Beach, Ocean City).

We brought bicycles (rentals on site) and rode through an Audubon Sanctuary to Corolla - unspoiled, natural. The next day we drove to Kitty Hawk and went hang gliding. Spent another day at the outlet malls. Lots to do in the area. Only thing we didn't do was parasailing or kayaking in the sound - water was too cold cinsidering the frequent drenchings we would have had as novices!

By scottmorehead Jan 14, 2003

Brand new units but not on the ocean. In fact you have to get in the car and load up to get to the beach. Nice indoor pool and landscaping but not what I would call a beach resort.