RedWeek Travelers and COVID-19

published on March 14, 2020 by .

This is a difficult time. We love to travel, and know if you’re reading this, you do too. We understand that some of you are grappling with the difficult decision of whether to travel right now – we are doing the same. Even if you are not formally restricted from doing so, this is an important decision where benefits and risks need to be carefully weighed.

Please view current recommendations from the CDC when making your choice: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/index.html

Coronavirus Travel Alert

We are doing everything we can to assist during these uncertain times. RedWeek is a travel community that serves both timeshare owners and travelers. We are sympathetic to our members being impacted by the pandemic on both sides of this equation. It’s important to understand that vacation rentals on RedWeek are quite different than booking directly with a resort or hotel. The individual owner of the timeshare books the unit being advertised. In most cases, the owner is not able to simply cancel the booking or change the dates. If a week goes unused, the owner loses both the use of the week for that year and whatever maintenance fees they paid as part of their ownership.

In online bookings, where we are intermediary between the owner and renter, we’re obligated to follow the terms of the rental agreement that both parties signed. For every cancellation request, we are reaching out to the owner and asking them to please be as flexible as possible, given this unprecedented situation. Some owners may choose to waive or reduce the cancellation fee and some owners may be able to re-book a reservation for a later date. We greatly appreciate any flexibility our owners are willing and able to extend.

Please know that we are actively monitoring the situation and working with all parties involved to reach a fair compromise. We ask that all owners and renters be as patient and as flexible as possible during this difficult time.

Owners using RedWeek’s online booking system:

• If you are asked to cancel or change your reservation dates for a renter, we will gladly pay any change fees to accommodate this request.
  • If you need to cancel entirely, we will also give you an account credit for a new posting and verification.
  • If you are currently advertising a rental with March or April check-ins, we advise you to call your resort and reschedule your week. We will give you a free verification for the new dates, when confirmed.
Tags: , , , , , , ,

Categorized in:

14 Comments

• Deleted message
    This message was deleted.
      lorim266
      Mar 17, 2020 (1 week ago)

I rented my Marriott Desert Springs for April 23-27th. I'm assuming the renters were going that week end for Stagecoach. That was rescheduled for Oct.23 week end. Should I email them and see if they want to change the reservation for that rescheduled time?

Lori Michaud Booking B07-1116-2893

jons315
        Mar 17, 2020 (1 week ago)

I appreciate that this is a difficult time or everyone including the renters, owners, and employees of Redweek. I have a rental next week at Marriott Canyon Villas that I must cancel as I am a healthcare worker and now can't travel even if I was foolish enough to do so. I fully appreciate that I signed a non-refundable contract and am not looking or anyone else to lose money. Because of the National Emergency, Marriott has agreed to give the points back to the owner for future use. (I obviously can't cancel and do it or him) My frustration is that after multiple emails to RedWeek I still don't know if the owner has acknowledged my desire to cancel the week. Ideally he would offer me a partial refund of his chosen amount minus ALL of his cost including the premium I'm sure I paid for that week. I would hope however that in times like these, one could find the willingness to at least make a simple phone call to Marriott on my behalf and do what they see as fair for my now quarantined family. If he is not willing to give me a partial refund, then I'm still willing to at least live with the knowledge that he made his decision and that his points didn't go to waste.

Owners, I understand your dilemma as well, but if I'm missing something here please let me know.

Thank you - Jon S. Booking ID: B11-7330-2000

phyl21
          RedWeek Team
          Mar 18, 2020 (1 week ago)

We want you to know that we are doing everything we can to encourage the owner of your rental to be as accommodating as possible. We're a pretty small company and are receiving hundreds and hundreds of emails a day.

Please know that our entire team is working tirelessly to assist the thousands of RedWeek members who are in the same situation. Your patience is incredibly appreciated.

davep296
            Mar 20, 2020 (1 week ago)

As a potential renter for Marriot Surf Club Aruba, is there insurance you can buy if you rent a unit on here, in case the island is still closed and get all your money back? I seem to be reading that this virus is not a covered issue. I don't want to spend thousands then not get any money back.

phyl21
              RedWeek Team
              Mar 20, 2020 (1 week ago)

Travel insurance is available for rentals using RedWeek Online Booking with the following exceptions: the check-in date must be within 18 months, and we currently cannot offer insurance to residents of Hawaii or New York. For details on what is covered and what is not, you would need to call CSA/Generali directly at: 866-999-4018.

sarat44
                Mar 21, 2020 (1 week ago)

Hello. I have tried multiple times to find a resolution with Redweek and the owner of the timeshare property I rented at The Westin Kierland in Arizona. I was supposed to check in today with my family of four. Given the travel restrictions, shelter in place, hotels inability to provide- AND my obligation to do my part in putting an end to this- I clearly had to cancel my trip. I would be very happy rebooking the same exact unit for the same exact week next March. The owner of the timeshare does not need to refund me- they simply need to rebook me for next spring. I echo the comments that Mariott Bonvoy is making the owners of these timeshares whole and my family should not be penalized. I would like to find some resolution with this ASAP. I would appreciate if someone from Redweek could please follow up with me.

johnt1112
                  Mar 22, 2020 (1 week ago) • Updated Mar 22, 2020 05:41 PM

My family is in a similar situation starting Saturday, March 28 in Kauai. I understand Redweek represents owners and renters but 3 emails and 2 phone calls and I’ve literally heard nothing from a redweek agent. Kauai is on a no-tourist order and we’re on a shelter in place order in California. If Marriott is making good with owners, I see zero reason, in this rare circumstance, not to be allowed a refund. Airbnb issued us a refund w/ no questions asked, well passed the cancellation deadline and with no fees of any kind!! I would hope Redweek can at least attempt to do something similar. So if your reading this Redweek person, please, please return our emails. We have been very calm and patient but the worry of losing our entire booking cost is starting to weigh on us.

darlenec146
                    Mar 23, 2020 (6 days ago)

Your policy is an account credit for a new posting and verification if a person needs to cancel entirely. My question is the length of time this credit is good until and does the credit start from the date of the actual rental contract?

phyl21
                      RedWeek Team
                      Mar 23, 2020 (6 days ago)

We understand the frustration by both owners and renters. This pandemic is like nothing we have ever had to deal with, and we continue to improve our processes as we go along. We currently have thousands of calls and emails and are handling everything as fast as we can. It’s an incredibly difficult time for the entire nation and we hope our RedWeek community will be patient and understanding as we get through this together. We will absolutely respond to everyone just as soon as possible.

Darlene: The credit on your account does not have an expiration date.

suel151
                        Mar 23, 2020 (6 days ago)

I have emailed and called redweek as well FOR WEEKS. I have tweeted, no response. Terrible customer service. I understand these unprecedented times-I am working on the front lines of Covid-19. I said I was happy to take a replacement week. Marriott is making it right with the owner so there’s no reason to not refund either. I am trying to be flexible BUT IT’S A ONE SIDES CONVERSATION. There’s not much left to do but take it up with the attorney general and I suggest everyone else do the same to protect yourself.

susanc1399
                          Mar 23, 2020 (6 days ago) • Updated Mar 23, 2020 03:32 PM

I have repeatedly tried contacting Redweek via phone/email/chat/dispute regarding cancellation of my rental. I have no choice to cancel given the mandatory quarantine by my state as well as the state of Hawaii. Marriott Ko Olina has stated that they will waive any cancellation fees to the owner provided that the trip is prior to 60 days of arrival. I am trying to cancel this trip ASAP so that the owner can cancel without any fees but am wondering if Redweek has even notified my request to cancel to the owner?!?! I Please process this ASAP. It is not fair to neither the owner or the renter as the clock is ticking to meet the window of time for a penalty free cancellation especially when the resort is more than willing to allow changes and flexibility during this window frame. Thank you. RENTAL AGREEMENT B06-6172-2606

barbg51
                            Mar 26, 2020 (3 days ago)

Now that Sheraton is Requesting that Owners PLEASE CANCEL their reservations ..and they are offering to reinstate the Options and give owners until 12/31/21 to use them .... I'd like to receive a refund from R745713 Susan Cooper who rented us her week 3/29/20 at Vistana Resort. She seems unwilling to give back the money which seems rather selfish in that she has nothing to lose and we are being ordered to shelter in place. Some people appear to be just greedy!

jefft215
                              Mar 28, 2020 (Yesterday)

We had a week at Marriott Ko Olina in Hawaii rented with occupancy to start on March 28. Then COVID happened and state of Hawaii put the travel restriction on starting March 26. Renter registered a dispute and RedWeek Arbitration found in favor of Renter and refunded the entire rental fee, determining that the resort was "not habitable" due to the travel restriction. We as owners were never contacted by the Arbitration Team yet the Renter was able to register a dispute and plea their case.

We were able to cancel the reservation just in time not to lose it and received the points back, but they were placed into a "holding account" that has restrictions for use. So while we did receive points back, they are of diminished value.

Renter and Owners are both customers of RedWeek (RedWeek would not exist without both of us!). Renters and Owners both take risks when they enter into the rental contract. COVID is unprecedented and Red Week Arbitration Team should have considered that when they made their decision. The fairest way to have resolved this would have been to refund 50% to Renter and pay us (Owner) 50%. Red Week Arbitration got caught in the trap that they must make a binary decision and find for one party. VERY disappointed in you RedWeek!

joanner93
                                Mar 28, 2020 (Yesterday)

Very happy with the timeshare owner and redweek. We had to return to Canada after staying only 2 of our 7 nights in Maui. The owner must have agreed to credit us back with redweeks efforts. We are receiving 5/7ths back and we are very happy with how quickly and respectfully both the owner and redweek were to us. good Karma felt here!