Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.

Original Message:

Re: How do I get out of these fully paid for El Cid RTU TS contract fees? (by Darcy):

How do I get out of these fully paid for El Cid RTU TS contract fees?

I have a RTU 20 year contract at Al Cid at Playa Morelos that is to 2033 but is fully paid off. I have owned it since 2013 high pressure sales pitch but have only used it twice. They agreed to take my Kissimmee Florida 1/2 share and Myan TS in trade (I know...), but I don't see any mention of that on my contract, and I get phone scam calls regularly to purchase my Vida TS ( previously Myan) so I am obviously still on that Vida owners list. When I asked one of the over 30 Vida OTP scam offer call people where they were getting my contact info from they confirmed off the Vida website for listed owners. When I told them that I haven't owned that TS for over 7 years and El Cid took it in trade they said they must not have as I am still a registered owner according to the website (but I never have received any contact from either Myan/Vida or the Kissimmee TS's for stopping paying their fees, so I don't know). Here is the Kicker - I have already recently fell for a Mexican class action lawsuit scam, that lasted over 4 months of back and forth emails and court challenges from a supposed Mexican government appointed law firm to sue these fraudsters for all my purchase price plus damages ( of 3 times what I paid for the El cid and other contracts...I know again!...) where I made them promise on the original email there would be no up front fees for this, and of course they agreed and confirmed on email there wouldn't be....but as expected my cheque for 140K was made out to me from the Mexico government, but I had to pay a currency exchange and transfer fee of $2500 to the Mexican exchange commission, but since they had previously confirmed to me there wouldn't be any up front fees, they agreed to pay $1000 of it as a good faith gesture, so I "only had to pay $1500 of it". Then I got a call that the funds made it to Nevada before being flagged by U.S. as fraudulent and questionable source funds and required another $3500 USD for disputing that, but again they already paid $1500 of it for me so I only had to pay $2000 and then the funds couldn't get cleared through to Canada so they got returned to the Mexico BNS, but would require $7200 USD to pay extra incurred legal and currency fees. I was livid and refused any more money, but the Mexican law firm representing me said they have already paid $5000 of it so I only had to pay the remaining $2200 ..... on and on. They had me hooked for over $6000 already until I finally told them to GGF! It was a very convincing scam! They sent me all money transfer documents and copies of approved and cleared wire transactions from the BNS ( Bank of Nova Scotia) which is one of the top big 5 Canadian owned banking companies that has international branches in many Latin Central American Countries. There website looked legit, and the Bank Drafts were extremely convincing. I even brought the copy of the Bank of Nova Scotia wire transfer draft to our local BNS in my home town to confirm, and they said it looks legit to them, but at it was from a branch in Mexico they had no way of confirming it. I tried to contact the branch named on the wire transfer, but of course no one there spoke English, I I don't speak spanish....so that was helpful...

Now my question is, I emailed them asking to cancel my contract, stopped paying the El Cid maintenance fees by contacting Visa to stop payments and then cancelling that Visa card that the payments were being charged to back in October, just before they sent a bill for the new annual amount starting in October, and if course they keep emailing me looking for missed payments + interest. I am wondering as I am in Canada and it is a Mexican company if I should just ignore them and see if they send it to collections, or I was wondering if taking a chance using a law firm called MEXLAW, which is a Mexican firm out of Playa Del Carmen, and supposedly a branch in Montreal QE Canada, but they say their fee is $500 USD up front and the remaining $500 USD once contract is confirmed cancelled and documented that I am off the hook for any further obligations for the TS. But I am worried it is just another of the hundreds of Time Share scams and I would just be throwing away even more money.

Does anyone with experience with this have any useful advise?

( I would love to just walk away and be done with it! ( We just closed on our new mortgage and never buying a new vehicle ever again so our credit wouldn't be an issue anytime soon.)