Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.

Original Message:

Re: Purchasing a Marriot Vacation Club timeshare (by Carvan A.):

catherine412 wrote:
Hi, I do own some Fairfield timeshares., I have been recently discussing a purchase of one week in the Marriott Vacation Club. I am just wondering about anyone's experience either with the purchase process, or about the vacation club itself. They are obviously very nice resorts. I am being told that if you don't use a resort in a give year you can gain Marriott Rewards points which might work for me as I still work and can't always get away.

I have not considered resale on this, I know that they are out there. Appreciate any comments. Thanks

Cathy in CT

Hi Cathy,

I have purchased Marriott Vacation Club timeshares both from the developer (Marriott) and through resale from an individual and I highly recommend resale from an individual. The discount you receive more than makes up for the value of the points. We exchanged my Marriott week in Hilton Head for 110,000 points which enabled us to stay at a five star Marriott Resort Hotel in Maui, HI for a week. You can also exchange the points for one or more nights at a Marriott hotel (Courtyard, Residence Inn, Marriott and so on) and the number of points required depends on the quality of the Marriott Hotel. You can also exchange the points for flights, rental cars, and merchandise. Still all things considered, the savings you receive buying resale from an individual far offsets the benefit of the points in my opinion. Remember that Marriott also serves as a broker for the resale of Marriott Timeshares, that is, an owner lists the unit with Marriott. The savings realized in this type of purchase is significant but not as great as one might realize buying here on Redweek.Com from an individual. For example, there is a Marriott in the Evergreen Bldg {ski week}in Vail for sale for $21,500 on Redweek. The same unit would costs you $31,500 resale through Marriott. You would get the Marriott points buying through Marriott but that $10,000 savings in certainly significant.

Carvan