Buying, Renting, and Selling Timeshares

Purchasing a Marriot Vacation Club timeshare

Aug 01, 2007

Hi, I do own some Fairfield timeshares., I have been recently discussing a purchase of one week in the Marriott Vacation Club. I am just wondering about anyone's experience either with the purchase process, or about the vacation club itself. They are obviously very nice resorts. I am being told that if you don't use a resort in a give year you can gain Marriott Rewards points which might work for me as I still work and can't always get away.

I have not considered resale on this, I know that they are out there. Appreciate any comments. Thanks

Cathy in CT

Catherine A.
Aug 02, 2007

Hi Cathy, We purchased Marriott Newport Coast 4 years ago and we are very happy owners!We chose to purchase resale because weren't intersted in the points and saved a lot of $$$ by doing so. We exchanged our week this year for 3 bedroom Marriott Playa Andaluza in Malaga Espana and used our bonus week for a 2 bedroom Marriott Club Son Antem in Mallorca. We have never stayed at a Marriott Timeshare we didn't like! The only thing that we can't do as resale owners is deposit our weeks for points, otherwise everything else is the same. Whether you decide to buy from Marriott or buy resale I think you'll be happy with your Marriott Vacation Club ownership.

Linda M.
Aug 02, 2007

catherine412 wrote:
Hi, I do own some Fairfield timeshares., I have been recently discussing a purchase of one week in the Marriott Vacation Club. I am just wondering about anyone's experience either with the purchase process, or about the vacation club itself. They are obviously very nice resorts. I am being told that if you don't use a resort in a give year you can gain Marriott Rewards points which might work for me as I still work and can't always get away.

I have not considered resale on this, I know that they are out there. Appreciate any comments. Thanks

Cathy in CT

Hi Cathy,

I have purchased Marriott Vacation Club timeshares both from the developer (Marriott) and through resale from an individual and I highly recommend resale from an individual. The discount you receive more than makes up for the value of the points. We exchanged my Marriott week in Hilton Head for 110,000 points which enabled us to stay at a five star Marriott Resort Hotel in Maui, HI for a week. You can also exchange the points for one or more nights at a Marriott hotel (Courtyard, Residence Inn, Marriott and so on) and the number of points required depends on the quality of the Marriott Hotel. You can also exchange the points for flights, rental cars, and merchandise. Still all things considered, the savings you receive buying resale from an individual far offsets the benefit of the points in my opinion. Remember that Marriott also serves as a broker for the resale of Marriott Timeshares, that is, an owner lists the unit with Marriott. The savings realized in this type of purchase is significant but not as great as one might realize buying here on Redweek.Com from an individual. For example, there is a Marriott in the Evergreen Bldg {ski week}in Vail for sale for $21,500 on Redweek. The same unit would costs you $31,500 resale through Marriott. You would get the Marriott points buying through Marriott but that $10,000 savings in certainly significant.

Carvan

Carvan A.
Aug 14, 2007

Since we own units in three Marriott locations, I'll chip in here. We have bought from Marriot, from resellers on ebay and from Marriott doing resales. There are several keys to resales. If you buy from Marriott, you can trade your week for Marriott points worth more than your annual fee, in many cases. However, most current Marriott developments allow this only every other year. If you buy from another reseller, there is no access to Marriott points.

One other item. For the better Marriott locations, Marriott runs it own resale program. They sell these for the original list price, and take about 1/3. This is much better than any other return on TS resales that I know about. However, they won't take weeks that were not originally bought from Marriott.

So make sure you plan to keep the week, or else get a good price buying so you can get it back when you resell. And, yes, we do love our Marriott weeks, all of which are attached to large Marriott resort hotels. I don't know if I would buy one of the stand alone resorts.

William F.
Aug 15, 2007

catherine412 wrote:

Cathy in CT

Hi Cathy,

We have been owners at the Maui Ocean Club in Maui for 6 yrs now and have been very pleased with our purchase. We just purchased a 4th week there. We have the 2BR which gives us the lock-off option and have deposited several units into Int. Int. which has allowed us to take many trips...Southern CA, FL, Maine, SC, Aruba, Cabo, in addition to spending time in Maui....our favorite place. If you like Hawaii I would recommend having that be your "home resort" when you make your purchase as it can be hard to trade into there if you purchase somewhere else. Our sales rep is Don Archer at the Maui Ocean Club..he is excellent! Your best bet might be a stay and going to one of the sales meetings. You are not obligated and can get lots of info. Aloha, mccabin

Candice and John M.
Aug 15, 2007

Yes indeed buy Marriott! You will not be sorry. My brother owns a Fairfield in Hi, did not pay much for it $10,000. He can never get inot any other resorts and has to "borrow" points to go anywhere decent. Their system is very complicated. You pay for what you get... On the other side Marriot has been wonderful to us for the last 6 years, we own 4 weeks at various resorts. Used the first gift week we received from Interval for depositing our week at Maui to go to Bali. We then used the points go on the Orient Express thru Malasia 4 days. Also bought air fare/hotel pkg and 3 days stay at Singapore and 2 days at the Bangkok Marriot. This was a wonderful trip! You cannot beat the deals! We are planning to stay at the Ritz in Malaga Spain next year after a 14 day African safari, all air fair (ist class) & resort paid for by points!!

Have fun and see the world!! SD Millers

Ruth M.
Aug 15, 2007

Until recently, Marriott was selling Marriott Reward points for one penny each...about what their value is.

Consider this....you buy a Marriott via the developer for...say...$25,000.

This is about a unit that might get a tradeback of points worth about 125,000. (Some super Plat weeks might get more...MOST GET LESS)

What you need to realize is that the rewards points are just that...a travel reward program. this one happens to be set by Marriott.....Starwood thas them, Hilton has them, American Airlines has them

Another thing.....the average maintance fees and taxes are about $1000.00 for each week owned. If you turn in your week for points, YOU MUST STILL pay the maint fees...and a FEE TO CONVERT TO POINTS.

So, you need to consider the $$$ lost by buying via Marriott...and seeing if it is worth it to get these points.

If you can access the Marriott Rewards site, you can check just to see what you can buy for these points.

Best deals are the major trip rewards...ie. one week in a marriott anywhere in the world with airfare for 2. Average about 225,000

The points needed for this trip has gone up over time ( but the amount of points you get for your week has not).

The clinker is this.....you get 125,000 points for your turned in 2 bed 2 bath or bigger week. If you want to use another MVCI 2 bed 2 bath full week, it will cost 150,000. If there is a sale, it might cost 135,000.

The best use for Marriott...the absolute best value, is to buy a Marriott 2 bed 2 bath lock out top week resale - not from Marriott ( we used to say yes from Marriott...but no more...they changed the rules and pricing).

Marriott will sell weeks for cheap...but not desireable weeks...ie..Steamside Bronze 2 bed 2 bath lock outs for $1500 total (includes closing fees & taxes)...but thats such a poor trader.

Look for brighter red weeks....an example...MBP...Gold Red sells resale for just over $8000. 2 bed 2 bath L/O (Oceanfront- also consider Ocean Point). Unit locks out for 2 weeks for your one...and if you pick a strong week in the float..II will give you a bonus AC week...three for one ( ACs have a fee $199 for a studio, $299 for a 2 bed 2 bath or bigger with restrictions.)

Please, don't buy direct from Marriott for the points. The only reason is to buy direct is to get a specific week and most Marriott are floats.

And I dare the saleman to tell you you will be able to get the week you want in your float period unless you call to the exact minute of 12 or 13 months out.

Ask them to put it in writing...or you don't buy developer.

Marriott is great....when the buy has some knowledge of the system

Kenneth K.
Aug 16, 2007

Does anyone know about sunterra timeshares? Is there reputation like marriott? How are they on resales? JK

Judith K.
Aug 16, 2007

You need to start a new thread on Sunterra or see if there is one already started.

A few years ago, Sunterra field for bankrupcy, but is now doing pretty good (in a business sense...but thats not including how the owners ( if the Sunterrs members are infact owners) of a week or points.

Sometimes Sunterra buys a group of units from an HOA in another resort, and these weeks become part of the Sunterra group ( See info on the Ft Lauderdale Resort ( Breakers/Sunterra) which is actually managed by VRI.

But start a new thread as this one is Marriott.

Just thought...look for a tug member named Spence. He has a ton of Sunterra and knows a lot about the system.

Kenneth K.
Aug 16, 2007

Thank you. J.K.

Judith K.
Aug 28, 2007

The resorts are great, but it is not wise buying them from Marriott. They are usually overpriced by at least $5000. Dont get fooled by the sales pitch about points. They charge a fee for that and you get 90000 points, which are not worth the annual maintenance fee+point exchange fee. I own a 2BR platinum unit at Las Vegas and certainly regret buying it from Marriott. I see several similar units on sale at redweek.com for several thousands less than the price I paid.

Sai B.
Sep 11, 2007

saib wrote:
The resorts are great, but it is not wise buying them from Marriott. They are usually overpriced by at least $5000. Dont get fooled by the sales pitch about points. They charge a fee for that and you get 90000 points, which are not worth the annual maintenance fee+point exchange fee. I own a 2BR platinum unit at Las Vegas and certainly regret buying it from Marriott. I see several similar units on sale at redweek.com for several thousands less than the price I paid.

Everyone advises you not to buy from Marriott but to buy resale. They say you can make the purchase for about a third of what Marriott charges and that the points Marriott gives as an incentive are not worth the annual maintenance fee. That is well and good but try to find a platinum (high season, e.g. ski in winter and beach in summer) 2br Marriott on Redweek or other internet sites including ebay. The truth is they are not there. Sure, there are weeks available in the off seasons and maybe some 1br in prime seasons but by and large you generally cannot find a 2brm platinum Marriott (or Hyatt for that matter) available at resale on the internet. There are always exceptions to my bold statement but these exceptions usually have reasons. For example, you might find a platinum week at Marriott's Streamside Vail but there are special assessment problems there that affect resales. You might also find a platinum Marriott in saturated markets such as Orlando, Branson, or Hilton Head but generally you will not find a prime Marriott property at resale, at least not for long. If you do come up with examples from the resale market to prove me wrong, I suggest there is a reason including being priced near what Marriott is charging or shall we say over priced.

If you really find a bargain resale of a Marriott in prime time you will find that Marriott will exercise their right of first refusal to buy the property out from under you.

Carvan A.

Last edited by carvana on Sep 11, 2007 05:58 PM

Sep 11, 2007

MAny many Manor Club Plat weeks have passed on E Bay for between $7000 and $8000.

A very few times, the $7000 might have been taken by MAR via ROFR.

Many weeks were sold without ROFR kicking in on two top traders in SE Fl...both the Ocean Point Units ( Palm Beach Shores area) and Beach Place (Ft Laud)

(There are some 3 bed L/Os at OP, but only 2 bed L/Os at BP.

All Red via II....Silver weeks at OP and some Gold weeks have well under $10,000

At MBP, some gold red weeks were not stopped at $8000 and Plat were not stopped at $12,500.

I haven't been keeping track of Palm Desert Desert Springs Phase One, but also believe you can get some pretty good Plat weeks deals there without ROFR (if it is done there).

Just need to watch and wait....and offer less then what is posted.

Two good people to watch via redweek listings (& myresortnetwork) are Joanne Koslowski ( poster here) and Seth Nock, and I think Christine...all realtors who have a good idea of pricing and ROFR kick ins....Marriott, Hyatt, Hilton )if they have it).

You can even offer them less than posted pricing....you might be surprised. Some times the developer feels they don't want the week....have too many...but 4 weeks later they want a ton.

Kenneth K.
Sep 13, 2007

kekouri wrote:
MAny many Manor Club Plat weeks have passed on E Bay for between $7000 and $8000.

A very few times, the $7000 might have been taken by MAR via ROFR.

Many weeks were sold without ROFR kicking in on two top traders in SE Fl...both the Ocean Point Units ( Palm Beach Shores area) and Beach Place (Ft Laud)

(There are some 3 bed L/Os at OP, but only 2 bed L/Os at BP.

All Red via II....Silver weeks at OP and some Gold weeks have well under $10,000

At MBP, some gold red weeks were not stopped at $8000 and Plat were not stopped at $12,500.

I haven't been keeping track of Palm Desert Desert Springs Phase One, but also believe you can get some pretty good Plat weeks deals there without ROFR (if it is done there).

Just need to watch and wait....and offer less then what is posted.

Two good people to watch via redweek listings (& myresortnetwork) are Joanne Koslowski ( poster here) and Seth Nock, and I think Christine...all realtors who have a good idea of pricing and ROFR kick ins....Marriott, Hyatt, Hilton )if they have it).

You can even offer them less than posted pricing....you might be surprised. Some times the developer feels they don't want the week....have too many...but 4 weeks later they want a ton.

Wow! Was I ever wrong! Thanks for sharing.

Carvan A.
Sep 14, 2007

catherine412 wrote:

Cathy in CT

Cathy:

We own at Marriott Ocean Pointe, Sabal Palms, and Grande Vista. In order to take advantage of the Marriott Rewards program you have to buy from Marriott.

If you buy from an outside agency or owner you cannot get a memership into the Rewards System. You also cannot pass your rewards program along to anyone if you decide to sell your unit.

We enjoy the ability to trade for points as we often cannot use all the weeks we own. You can give your points to family members for use also. Of course everything you do with your unit if you decide not to use it costs you money -- a charge for banking with Interval International as well as a charge to bank for points. You also get an additional charge when you go to use your points. Marriott is not always easy to deal with but their units are kept in excellent condition and their choice of locations are numerous.

Gail

Gail T.
Sep 14, 2007

gailt19 wrote:
catherine412 wrote:

Cathy in CT

Cathy:

We own at Marriott Ocean Pointe, Sabal Palms, and Grande Vista. In order to take advantage of the Marriott Rewards program you have to buy from Marriott.

If you buy from an outside agency or owner you cannot get a memership into the Rewards System. You also cannot pass your rewards program along to anyone if you decide to sell your unit.

We enjoy the ability to trade for points as we often cannot use all the weeks we own. You can give your points to family members for use also. Of course everything you do with your unit if you decide not to use it costs you money -- a charge for banking with Interval International as well as a charge to bank for points. You also get an additional charge when you go to use your points. Marriott is not always easy to deal with but their units are kept in excellent condition and their choice of locations are numerous.

Gail

Not exactly true. Anyone can join the Marriott Rewards program. It is simply a travel rewards program. Many business people who travel a lot get many points when they stay in Marriott properties.

All Others use the affinitty Marriott Rewards card from JPMorganChase...a VISA ( there are two differnt main charge programs).

The only thing you give up ( currently) from Marriott when buying resale (not from Marriott Development) is the ability to trade back your very expensive week ( including maint fees of $1000 per week average) for a set of points that is determined by Marriott. (If the HOA allows points return...some HOA contracts with Marriott don't allow it).

As mentioned before, Marriott Rewards points were on sale during last winter and spring for one penny each.

Turn back of a week (Discussed on another thread here on redweek) might not be that great a deal.....unless you have a super plat week, you will get 130,000 points or less, for a weeks turn in of a 2 bed 2 bath unit. If you want another 2 bed 2 bath unit in the MVCI system (that will take points in trade, it will cost 150,00 for the same size and lenght of time ( IF AVAILABLE ). (Those points guarantee you nothing if the place isn't available)

Consider your loss of $20,000 to buy a week and $1000 a week main & taxes. Loss of interest/div on the #20,000 is also about $1000.

(I'm forgoing the Marriott charges to convert a week to points)

I guess its $2000 to get those points. If you are a points wiz, it might be of great value. There are 3 folk on the www.tugbbs.com site that can pull off the great values for points. Most of the rest of us are in La La land. 225,000+ points might get the world trip for 2 (used to be 200,000 points) but now you must find the conversion to airline points and the Marriott HOTEL that will be available when you can go ( being flexible is a great help)

IMO- the best value continues to buy a Marriott resale with a lock out and during a good week. ( I think Seth has a MBP unit Plat for $13,000 or a Gold for $9000 on Redweek & myresortnetwork right now) Both are Red. Both will not be eligible for turn back of points. Both will be eligible for the FAMOUS Florida Club ( who knows???/cares)

Take the week in your float period, and then (if not using) Lock out the unit to 2 units, pick the best time period available in the float from Marriott, and get two weeks back from II. If II likes your week ( you picked the strongest time in your float, right??) they may give you an AC (bonus week). Thats 3 weeks for your one. Using the II Getaways to Marriott resorts ( or other places) is also a steal.....

Kenneth K.
Sep 15, 2007

Unless you really must have a platinum week, I'd advise buying resale at a good-quality Interval International resort in a peak red period - let's say you spend $2,500 - and use it to exchange into Marriott's. II has plenty of Marriott's availability. You save with lower purchase costs and lower maintenance fees (although you'll have to pay the exchange fee). It works for me. A quick check on the II availability list shows that my $700 purchase (and $700 a year maintenance fee) two-bedroom September week in Scotland will get me three bedrooms over the Christmas or New Year weeks at Marriott's Marbella Beach resort or two bedrooms at their Son Antem resort on the Island of Mallorca. Hell, I can even get into those resorts out of the school vacation period with an II Accommodation Certificate. A one-bedroom Canary Islands August week got me a two-bedroom townhouse at Son Antem for the Easter vacation this year.

David D.
Sep 25, 2007

If you want to purchase a Marriott property for even cheaper than I have seen them listed here, check out www.holidaygroup.com. I have used this company to purchase several of my resales and referred friends that were happy. And you can always talk them down in price.

Lanita P.
Sep 25, 2007

I believe there is, however, a price below which you cannot sell them resale- as Marriotts will refuse to transfer the week to the purchaser, but will buy it themselves (having, effectively, right of first refusal). It would be very interesting to hear from an insider as to exactly how low you can go without Marriotts exercising this option.

David D.
Sep 25, 2007

Not all Marriott Managed resorts have the Right Of First Refusal* written into the condo docs the owners must follow. There is a list on the tug site.

I'm pretty sure there are great priced weeks on the Redweek site. BUT.....the week is gone fast...the sellers are not in La La Land concerning prices, and want to move that week. Holidaygroup does have good prices....but when a great price occures at Holiday, the week there vanishes in hours, not days.........not just Marriott, but Hyatt, Hilton, Sheraton/Starwood, and many others.

* ROFR means the HOA (or the management) of a condo has the right to know when a unit is being sold, and at what price. It also means that the management or HOA/COA can buy the unit at the price the buyer is attempting to purchase it.....

Kenneth K.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.