Anybody been there?

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.

Original Message:

Re: Anybody been there? (by Ashley D.):

candacec12 wrote:
Yes! It's open - My husband and I stayed at the Grand Mayan Oct. 10 - Oct. 17, 2007. Not everything is done yet. They were still hauling in massive palm trees for planting, though the grounds are already lovely. The spa and exercise areas are not finished, so our couples massage took place in one of the two rooms currently converted into massage suites.

We took a lot of photos. Should we post them?

Both the first entrance and the lobby are enormous and impressive. There is a Frank Lloyd Wright inspired walkway between them (that architectural method where the person goes from a small space into a gigantic space). The first entry foyer is very tall and dark, with enormous statues, with drumming in the background. Then you walk through this short (12 feet tall by 20 feet long?) hallway. Then at the end of that little hall, large glass doors swoosh "a la Star Trek" into a hidden pocket on the side (not front or back like at the bank or grocery store). and you enter into an enormous, light, bright, billowing, stately lobby.

The restaurants are open. We ate at two of them, one upstairs and one by the poolside. Food presentation is lovely (I'm a former long-time-ago restaurant reviewer). Lunch was about $45 - no alcohol. They were offering a Meal Plan for $210 that covered 7 meals, including some dinners. It was probably a good deal, but we ate in the room sometimes and also out offsite (we rented a car for the week, so took day trips to explore Totos Santos, etc.).

The service was superior - everyone was very pleasant and professional. There is twice daily maid service, and they are very thorough. Our room had a soaking pool on the balcony off the living room. I watched the sun rise one morning and could see and hear the ocean waves.

The facility was not crowded, but there were people in the pool & in the public areas. The poolside activity schedule was full: bingo, aqua aerobics, etc. Lots of people at the swim-up bar during happy hour (4pm - 5pm).

There is a 9-hole golf course next door. Looked lovely. I think greens fees were $110, but guests get a 50% price break.

We definitely plan to return - on our own or with other couples. I'm also planning a "girls-only trip."

My only gripe, not at all the Grand Mayan's fault, was about the Swim with the Dolpins by Cabos Adventures. Incredibly, my money belt was stolen out of a locked locker! We had the key with us the whole time. The Dolphin staff was blase about it while I blubbered. But the staff at the Grand Mayan sure cared - everyone was very concerned and the concierge made the phone call for me to the U.S. to cancel my credit card.

Note: at the car rental return, the staff said they have heard several times that customers had money/wallets stolen out of locked lockers at Swim with the Dolphins.

Any questions about the Grand Mayan I'm happy to answer if possible. cmc

thanks for the review - could you post some photo's ???