Feb 06, 2007

I own with Mayan and was checking to see whether Cabo was really up and running. Glad to see it seems to be but I guess 55 other people just peeked at this comment site and left!

Mary D.
Feb 10, 2007

I do not believe it is open - I hear it is opening in Ocotber 2007

Ashley D.
Feb 23, 2007

My wife and i toured it on 17 Jan 2007 and it was still under construction.

Martin T.
May 08, 2007

We toured the Grand Mayan in Cabo in April. According to the sales rep we met with, it will be opening in July/August. I called the Mayan reservations line and they confirmed the opening but said they are currently booked for the first few months for our size room (2BR/2BA). The hotel looks very nice and the pool area is simply amazing and grand!

Lisa M.
Jul 31, 2007

As far as I can determine the only thing running at this resort is the website, not one person has admitted to staying here. Come on people please prove me wrong, it looks like a good resort but I want to hear from people that have stayed here.

Geraldine P.
Jul 31, 2007

geraldinep5 wrote:
As far as I can determine the only thing running at this resort is the website, not one person has admitted to staying here. Come on people please prove me wrong, it looks like a good resort but I want to hear from people that have stayed here.
===

I'll check the Mayan website to see if there is any comment. Last I heard it was expected to open in October. MD

Mary D.
Aug 01, 2007

adahiscout wrote:
geraldinep5 wrote:
===

I'll check the Mayan website to see if there is any comment. Last I heard it was expected to open in October. MD

==== Well, the first thing I got into from my Bookmarks looks like it is meant mainly for travel agents! It stunned me by refering to the Mayan Palace Wyndham Alliance which I don't understand at all--and I'm an owner with both Mayan and Wyndham! Mayan Palace is NOT in the Wyndham resort book, but maybe they are working together for a Hotel portion on various resorts. Winston and Sheraton both have such arrangements in Puerto Vallarta at Regina resort and Bouganvillia resort. Anyhow, the site looked like it might be taking reservations for Cabo but it was not very clear. Maybe for the hotel part?

The usual Mayan Palace site is long on lovely music and pictures, short on useful information. Cabo still does not show up on its map but if you tap "Grand Mayan" it is on that list of locations. All in all, I'd say, don't pack your bags yet.

I need to phone Mayan later this week and will pick brains then. Of course any owner can do that. MD

Mary D.
Aug 04, 2007

Hi,

We just returned from the Los Cabos area this past week and spent about a few hours touring the new Grand Mayan. It is absolutely spectacular as one would expect from any of the Grands.

As of the last week of July, much of the common areas of the resort were completed. The pool areas were mostly finished, as were the lobby and much of the interiors and the entrance to the resort.

I don't know about the restaurants because we were not allowed to go downstairs to the level where they were doing the more heavy construction.

All the rooms are not finished yet, but they are definetely having their Grand "soft" opening on Sept. 1. This means that they will be opening with about 30% of the rooms complete. They said that they will be fully functional by mid fall way before the Thanksgiving rush.

This resort is much smaller than the one in Nuevo Vallarta or Acapulco. There is no water slide, or lazy river, or wave pool. It is much more of a boutique style hotel and probably more suited to adults than to families with young kids.

All of the rooms there are 2 BR's that can then be locked off to the 1 BR/ Master Rooms.

All of the rooms face the ocean. The pools are located directly next to the beach and some have chairs in the water facing the ocean.

Much of the pool area has the white beds with the dark wooden frames covered with the white sheets. The pool areas are very clean and white looking.

The rooms are exactly the same except for the use of dark wood and a deeper color palate.

The lobby is all in black granite and really spectacular. Again.

The resort is very close to the downtown area of San Jose Del Cabo, 15 minutes from the airport, and about a 25 minute car ride to Cabos San Lucas. It's on a very nice beach that is swimmable. Most in the Los Cabos area are not.

It's going to be one of their Best locations!

There is ONLY a Grand Mayan in this location. There will not be a Mayan Palace built here at all.

We already have reservations to go there with friends this winter.

Beth

Beth F.

Last edited by ira10 on Aug 04, 2007 10:46 PM

Aug 05, 2007

ira10 wrote:
Hi,

We just returned from the Los Cabos area this past week and spent about a few hours touring the new Grand Mayan. It is absolutely spectacular as one would expect from any of the Grands.

As of the last week of July, much of the common areas of the resort were completed. The pool areas were mostly finished, as were the lobby and much of the interiors and the entrance to the resort.

I don't know about the restaurants because we were not allowed to go downstairs to the level where they were doing the more heavy construction.

All the rooms are not finished yet, but they are definetely having their Grand "soft" opening on Sept. 1. This means that they will be opening with about 30% of the rooms complete. They said that they will be fully functional by mid fall way before the Thanksgiving rush.

This resort is much smaller than the one in Nuevo Vallarta or Acapulco. There is no water slide, or lazy river, or wave pool. It is much more of a boutique style hotel and probably more suited to adults than to families with young kids.

All of the rooms there are 2 BR's that can then be locked off to the 1 BR/ Master Rooms.

All of the rooms face the ocean. The pools are located directly next to the beach and some have chairs in the water facing the ocean.

Much of the pool area has the white beds with the dark wooden frames covered with the white sheets. The pool areas are very clean and white looking.

The rooms are exactly the same except for the use of dark wood and a deeper color palate.

The lobby is all in black granite and really spectacular. Again.

The resort is very close to the downtown area of San Jose Del Cabo, 15 minutes from the airport, and about a 25 minute car ride to Cabos San Lucas. It's on a very nice beach that is swimmable. Most in the Los Cabos area are not.

It's going to be one of their Best locations!

There is ONLY a Grand Mayan in this location. There will not be a Mayan Palace built here at all.

We already have reservations to go there with friends this winter.

Beth

===

Thanks for all the helpful information. I made my reservations for Cancun and totally forgot to inquire about the opening of Cabo! Sorry. MD

Mary D.
Aug 14, 2007

I have been on the phone all morning and beginning to get very fustrated. My parents will be staying at the Grand Mayan in Cabo on Oct 14th and I don't even know if it is open. One source told me it was open and another told me it WAS NOT! I have gone to their web site and unable to obtain not even a contact email. Everything on the site says coming soon. What does this mean?!?!?!

Susan O.
Aug 14, 2007

susano33 wrote:
I have been on the phone all morning and beginning to get very fustrated. My parents will be staying at the Grand Mayan in Cabo on Oct 14th and I don't even know if it is open. One source told me it was open and another told me it WAS NOT! I have gone to their web site and unable to obtain not even a contact email. Everything on the site says coming soon. What does this mean?!?!?!

If you read my message from a couple of weeks ago, the Grand opening of the resort was slated for Sept. 1st. As I said, they told us it was going to be a soft opening, with only about 1/3 of the rooms completed.

You are talking about another 2 months from now, and when we were there most of the common areas were complete.

The place is all reserved, so they must be opening when they say they are. Try to book a room and they tell you it's full for that time.

I cant imagine that even if the entire place isn't completely open and functioning, it won't be okay. We saw the entire pool area and that was already complete at the end of July so...what else do you need?

Tell them to enjoy, it's beautiful. My sister and brother- in- law will be there is Dec.

Beth

Beth F.

Last edited by ira10 on Aug 14, 2007 08:14 AM

Aug 14, 2007

Thanks Beth...You have given me some peace of mind. I am sure it will work out well I just get nervous when it comes to my parents.

Thanks again:)

Susan O.
Sep 01, 2007

I just received a response from customerservice@grupomayan.com that "please be advised that this location (Grand Mayan Cabos) is opening today (Aug. 31, 2007) I am enclosing information for this resort (MSWord attach). The units are ready to receive our members". The attachment said 3-4 restaurants will be open and that the SPA will be opening 9/5/07. I've contacted them several times previously and the last feedback said they would be opening 8/31/07. GrupoMayan has responded to all my inquiries in a timely manner and I hope it turns out good for our Oct 14th stay.

Susan P.
Sep 13, 2007

adahiscout wrote:
geraldinep5 wrote:
===

I have not stayed there yet, my wife and I will be staying there Nov. 3 to 10 2007, I will know more then.

Lyle H.

Last edited by lyle53 on Sep 13, 2007 12:48 PM

Sep 15, 2007

lyle53 wrote:
adahiscout wrote:
geraldinep5 wrote:
===

I have not stayed there yet, my wife and I will be staying there Nov. 3 to 10 2007, I will know more then.

I just checked the blogs on tripadvisor.com and there was a message from one person that actually says she was on the 6th floor of the Grand Mayan and everything was lovely. The pools are huge and beautiful and the rooms were fine. She also said the staff were accomodating.

Susan P.
Sep 22, 2007

susanp293 wrote:
lyle53 wrote:
adahiscout wrote:
geraldinep5 wrote:
===

I just checked the blogs on tripadvisor.com and there was a message from one person that actually says she was on the 6th floor of the Grand Mayan and everything was lovely. The pools are huge and beautiful and the rooms were fine. She also said the staff were accomodating.

September 18, 2007 - from tripadvisor.com blogs - check it out - a person that stayed there said it was gorgeous but the food on property was expensive (go figure). It sounds quite open to me.

Susan P.
Oct 19, 2007

Yes! It's open - My husband and I stayed at the Grand Mayan Oct. 10 - Oct. 17, 2007. Not everything is done yet. They were still hauling in massive palm trees for planting, though the grounds are already lovely. The spa and exercise areas are not finished, so our couples massage took place in one of the two rooms currently converted into massage suites.

We took a lot of photos. Should we post them?

Both the first entrance and the lobby are enormous and impressive. There is a Frank Lloyd Wright inspired walkway between them (that architectural method where the person goes from a small space into a gigantic space). The first entry foyer is very tall and dark, with enormous statues, with drumming in the background. Then you walk through this short (12 feet tall by 20 feet long?) hallway. Then at the end of that little hall, large glass doors swoosh "a la Star Trek" into a hidden pocket on the side (not front or back like at the bank or grocery store). and you enter into an enormous, light, bright, billowing, stately lobby.

The restaurants are open. We ate at two of them, one upstairs and one by the poolside. Food presentation is lovely (I'm a former long-time-ago restaurant reviewer). Lunch was about $45 - no alcohol. They were offering a Meal Plan for $210 that covered 7 meals, including some dinners. It was probably a good deal, but we ate in the room sometimes and also out offsite (we rented a car for the week, so took day trips to explore Totos Santos, etc.).

The service was superior - everyone was very pleasant and professional. There is twice daily maid service, and they are very thorough. Our room had a soaking pool on the balcony off the living room. I watched the sun rise one morning and could see and hear the ocean waves.

The facility was not crowded, but there were people in the pool & in the public areas. The poolside activity schedule was full: bingo, aqua aerobics, etc. Lots of people at the swim-up bar during happy hour (4pm - 5pm).

There is a 9-hole golf course next door. Looked lovely. I think greens fees were $110, but guests get a 50% price break.

We definitely plan to return - on our own or with other couples. I'm also planning a "girls-only trip."

My only gripe, not at all the Grand Mayan's fault, was about the Swim with the Dolpins by Cabos Adventures. Incredibly, my money belt was stolen out of a locked locker! We had the key with us the whole time. The Dolphin staff was blase about it while I blubbered. But the staff at the Grand Mayan sure cared - everyone was very concerned and the concierge made the phone call for me to the U.S. to cancel my credit card.

Note: at the car rental return, the staff said they have heard several times that customers had money/wallets stolen out of locked lockers at Swim with the Dolphins.

Any questions about the Grand Mayan I'm happy to answer if possible. cmc

Candace C.
Oct 20, 2007

candacec12 wrote:
Yes! It's open - My husband and I stayed at the Grand Mayan Oct. 10 - Oct. 17, 2007. Not everything is done yet. They were still hauling in massive palm trees for planting, though the grounds are already lovely. The spa and exercise areas are not finished, so our couples massage took place in one of the two rooms currently converted into massage suites.

Both the first entrance and the lobby are enormous and impressive. There is a Frank Lloyd Wright inspired walkway between them (that architectural method where the person goes from a small space into a gigantic space). The first entry foyer is very tall and dark, with enormous statues, with drumming in the background. Then you walk through this short (12 feet tall by 20 feet long?) hallway. Then at the end of that little hall, large glass doors swoosh "a la Star Trek" into a hidden pocket on the side (not front or back like at the bank or grocery store). and you enter into an enormous, light, bright, billowing, stately lobby.

The restaurants are open. We ate at two of them, one upstairs and one by the poolside. Food presentation is lovely (I'm a former long-time-ago restaurant reviewer). Lunch was about $45 - no alcohol. They were offering a Meal Plan for $210 that covered 7 meals, including some dinners. It was probably a good deal, but we ate in the room sometimes and also out offsite (we rented a car for the week, so took day trips to explore Totos Santos, etc.).

The service was superior - everyone was very pleasant and professional. There is twice daily maid service, and they are very thorough. Our room had a soaking pool on the balcony off the living room. I watched the sun rise one morning and could see and hear the ocean waves.

The facility was not crowded, but there were people in the pool & in the public areas. The poolside activity schedule was full: bingo, aqua aerobics, etc. Lots of people at the swim-up bar during happy hour (4pm - 5pm).

There is a 9-hole golf course next door. Looked lovely. I think greens fees were $110, but guests get a 50% price break.

We definitely plan to return - on our own or with other couples. I'm also planning a "girls-only trip."

My only gripe, not at all the Grand Mayan's fault, was about the Swim with the Dolpins by Cabos Adventures. Incredibly, my money belt was stolen out of a locked locker! We had the key with us the whole time. The Dolphin staff was blase about it while I blubbered. But the staff at the Grand Mayan sure cared - everyone was very concerned and the concierge made the phone call for me to the U.S. to cancel my credit card.

Note: at the car rental return, the staff said they have heard several times that customers had money/wallets stolen out of locked lockers at Swim with the Dolphins.

Hi there,

If you wouldn't mind letting us use your photos for our posting here on RedWeek.com please email your photos to support@redweek.com attention Marty and I'll add them.

Thanks!

Marty

Marty F
Oct 20, 2007

candacec12 wrote:

thanks for the review - could you post some photo's ???

Ashley D.
Oct 20, 2007

marty8084 wrote:
candacec12 wrote:

Hi Marty, Yes, when they are developed (they are not digital), will scan them & send them to you at redweek. Candace

Hi there,

If you wouldn't mind letting us use your photos for our posting here on RedWeek.com please email your photos to support@redweek.com attention Marty and I'll add them.

Thanks!

Marty

Hi Marty, yes! Candace

Candace C.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.