Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.

Original Message:

Re: Rookie going to Orlando (by Mary D.):

ken1193 wrote:
ramonr13 wrote:
Thanks guy but you guys are right, I better do some more research, but Me and my wife already are looking on the internet for some resales, so we will not buy their, This point thing is confusing, Let me see if i get the jist of it, If i buy their, I will buy points for x amount of money, and this will guarantee me what? A week their, or in their system? due to availability? Another question Have anyone of you guys been treated badly after you said no to a presentation?

Ramon: I have never been to a presentation and I will NEVER go to a presentation, no matter what "free gifts" they might offer. I have heard far too many horror stories over the past 25 years of my timeshare ownership and I want no part of these deceitful, lying, sales-weasel parasites. They will lie and misrepresent facts to you and if you ultimately say "NO", they may choose to insult you and call you a "mooch" for just "enduring" the presentation for whatever "free gift" they offered, wasting their time, denying them the chance to feed their family, etc., etc. Be ready, it's definitely coming....

As far as a RCI Points purchase goes, if you buy a "RCI points" week (at this resort or any other, whether resale or developer direct), that week will have an associated, permanent number of annually allocated RCI points. There will also be an "underlying" deeded week and you can use your points to book that specific, particular week at that particular resort (a year in advance) if you choose to do so. You can also use your RCI points to book into some other RCI resort instead (if you have enough points and as space is available). You will still pay an annual maintenance fee bill, just like any "weeks" owner. My suggestion is to look to purchase the week that you actually want to use, where you want to use it. If you buy some other week instead in hopes that you can book the week you really want, you may very well be repeatedly disappointed.

You might also consider instead looking for a FIXED, non-points week of your preference at some non-points resort, thereby absolutely guaranteeing you annual access each and every year with no reservation uncertainties or any advance reservation gymnastics required. Good luck.

========= Unlike ken193, we HAVE been to scores of presentations. (scary) Well, we don't gamble or play golf or drink and love to learn about timeshares, so if they want to pay us for our time it's fine with us.

I'm not sure we have ever been lied to, though not all salespeople are equally knowledgeable. If you read the owner postings you will understand that things can get pretty complicated. When one does not know the "language" of a particular organization, it is especially easy to misunderstand what has been said even if it was correct. I've run into some long time salesmen recently who have not heard of RCI's rule change which forbids renting out an exchange. They were not happy to learn that they should not be recommending that ploy anymore! Salespeople who live on their commissions are understandably not thrilled to spend hours with people determined not to purchase (but the good ones sometimes still get the sale). If they are upset (and they should know better) just smile and say, "Well, YOU invited US."

against their rules.