Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.

Original Message:

Broad generalizations are not accurate... (by KC):

sharond193 states in part: >> Timeshare has no re-sale value. You can't even give them away!<<

This broad generalization is true ONLY for timeshare weeks in low demand or grossly overbuilt locations (Orlando / Kissimmee FL being the best possible example on the planet) or in low demand "off" seasons or time periods. More desirable timeshares in higher demand locations and / or higher demand seasons can generally be easily sold at will, virtually any time, even in a weak economy. =================================================

Re: >> And, the resorts won't take them back either, because of the liability attached to them.<<

Also not quite correct; "liability" really has nothing at all to do with it. Resorts generally don't accept deedbacks simply because a HOA owned week is a week on which no one is paying (...or is even responsible for paying) annual maintenance fees until that week is resold to a new owner. As long as there is a owner of record, that owner is responsible for paying the annual fees. HOA's don't want weeks without paying owners; this just increases the infrastructure "support" burden on all the other owners. =================================================

Re: >> Maintenance Fees are forever!<<

On this point, you are correct and all can agree. Maintenace fees are indeed forever, and can always be expected to increase a minimum average of 5-6% per year; rarely less, sometimes considerably more.

Still, the notion of paying a PostCard Company several THOUSAND hard earned dollars to (maybe) "take a timeshare off your hands" is (to me anyhow) a truly incomprehensible decision. Someone who is truly desperate to get out from under their timeshare ownership can always list the timeshare on eBay for one dollar AND openly offer to pay all associated closing costs (about $300 or so). By my math, a $350 "out of pocket" total expenditure, although certainly unwelcome, is still a whole lot better than paying a PostCard Company THREE THOUSAND dollars to (MAYBE) part with the timeshare. And why do I say "MAYBE" here? Please read on...

Many PostCard Companies don't even take the deed out of the current owners' name. Instead, they have the current owner sign a power of attorney, authorizing the PCC to sell the timeshare on the owners' behalf. If the PCC fails to do so, the deed remains solidly in the current owner's name (this is exactly how We Collect Timeshares got themselves into trouble with authorities in Washington state last year). If or when a PCC fails to change a deed into their own name, take a guess who still owns the timeshare, and who will still be fully responsible for the maintenance fee bills, DESPITE having previously paid a few thousand dollars to the PCC? Answer ---- the owner whose name is STILL on the exisiting deed!

Not for me, thanks. Not in THIS lifetime.....