Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.

Original Message:

upfront fee company transfer contract cancellation? (by Rocky G.):

My elderly parents in California have a signed contract (including credit card info on it) with Safe Hands Transfers of Middletown, DE (http://www.safehandtransfers.com) and received forms from "Preferred Transfers" of Tumwater, WA (http://www.preferredtransfers.com) to fill out and send back within 5 days granting real property to POY Developers, a Delaware LLC of Sacramento, CA and power of attorney. I found this out over a week later, discovered redweek.com and other sites, and learned a bit about timeshares, like how you can sell them yourself, go with a reputable title/escrow/transfer company, deedback, auction or donate them. Thanks so much to all of you who have kept this and other websites and information available to the public!

Unfortunately, I'm afraid it's too late for my parents. Supposedly, the contract charges them $250 initially and $2,000 total. Some of the wording shows signs of trying to cover for the company's(ies') guilt ahead of time, like how it states the owners were able to get professional consulting (which they did not except plenty of high pressure sales tactics!), are open to hundreds if not thousands of dollars more in charges if there is a problem preventing transfer (which the owners are held responsible to fix), and that the transfer can take an indefinite amount of time (though it claims 120 days usually, potentially FOREVER!). Honestly this must be an unenforceable contract just for show and intimidation! Am I right? I recall someone telling a company to fix the wording on a power of attorney statement and they refused so he refused to go through with the transaction.

Are my parents obligated to continue filling out, notarizing and sending back the, "GRANT DEED" and "Limited Power of Attorney"? Can they get out of this contract? Isn't there a buyer's remorse law? I've read how this is illegal in Florida, isn't there any protection in California? Is there some justice for the elderly that get preyed on by these VULTURES!?