Timeshare Companies

upfront fee company transfer contract cancellation?

Mar 10, 2010

My elderly parents in California have a signed contract (including credit card info on it) with Safe Hands Transfers of Middletown, DE (http://www.safehandtransfers.com) and received forms from "Preferred Transfers" of Tumwater, WA (http://www.preferredtransfers.com) to fill out and send back within 5 days granting real property to POY Developers, a Delaware LLC of Sacramento, CA and power of attorney. I found this out over a week later, discovered redweek.com and other sites, and learned a bit about timeshares, like how you can sell them yourself, go with a reputable title/escrow/transfer company, deedback, auction or donate them. Thanks so much to all of you who have kept this and other websites and information available to the public!

Unfortunately, I'm afraid it's too late for my parents. Supposedly, the contract charges them $250 initially and $2,000 total. Some of the wording shows signs of trying to cover for the company's(ies') guilt ahead of time, like how it states the owners were able to get professional consulting (which they did not except plenty of high pressure sales tactics!), are open to hundreds if not thousands of dollars more in charges if there is a problem preventing transfer (which the owners are held responsible to fix), and that the transfer can take an indefinite amount of time (though it claims 120 days usually, potentially FOREVER!). Honestly this must be an unenforceable contract just for show and intimidation! Am I right? I recall someone telling a company to fix the wording on a power of attorney statement and they refused so he refused to go through with the transaction.

Are my parents obligated to continue filling out, notarizing and sending back the, "GRANT DEED" and "Limited Power of Attorney"? Can they get out of this contract? Isn't there a buyer's remorse law? I've read how this is illegal in Florida, isn't there any protection in California? Is there some justice for the elderly that get preyed on by these VULTURES!?

Rocky G.
Mar 10, 2010

I'm sorry, but I'm totally confused by your situation .... could you please explain it in a more understandable manner. Was this company supposed to transfer a timeshare out of your parent's name .... why are there so many transfer companies involved? Please start from the beginning.

R P.
Mar 10, 2010

Thanks for responding, JayJay. The answer to your question is, yes.

A "company" offered to transfer a timeshare out of my parents' name.

1. They signed a contract with "Safe Hands Transfers". 2. They received an email with forms from "Preferred Transfers" including a "GRANT DEED" and a "Limited Power of Attorney" form to return. 3. The "DEED GRANT" form states that they are granting real property to POY Developers.

I don't know why there are so many companies involved (I'm sure for legal loopholes).

I'm just wondering if my parents can get out of the contract they signed.

Rocky G.
Mar 11, 2010

rockyg5 wrote:

1. They signed a contract with "Safe Hands Transfers". 2. They received an email with forms from "Preferred Transfers" including a "GRANT DEED" and a "Limited Power of Attorney" form to return. 3. The "DEED GRANT" form states that they are granting real property to POY Developers.

I don't know why there are so many companies involved (I'm sure for legal loopholes).

This sounds like a postcard company where a timeshare owner pays approximately $3500 + - for the company to take the timeshare out of their name .... but it should only be a one time fee.

There have been reports that some postcard companies never actually do the transfer and the deed stays in the owner's name and they are billed for maintenance fees and special assessments .... however there are some postcard companies that do what they promise by using a power of attorney and they then turn around and try to sell it on Ebay for $1 because they've already made their money from the fees charged the owner.

Exactly how much money have your parents given to this company? If they have your parent's credit card number, they have probably already charged their fee to it .... if the transaction occurred less than 60 days out, then your parent's can file a complaint with the credit card company.

R P.
Mar 11, 2010

I would definitely check their credit card account to see if the company has charged them.

R P.
Oct 16, 2010

jayjay wrote:
rockyg5 wrote:

This sounds like a postcard company where a timeshare owner pays approximately $3500 + - for the company to take the timeshare out of their name .... but it should only be a one time fee.

There have been reports that some postcard companies never actually do the transfer and the deed stays in the owner's name and they are billed for maintenance fees and special assessments .... however there are some postcard companies that do what they promise by using a power of attorney and they then turn around and try to sell it on Ebay for $1 because they've already made their money from the fees charged the owner.

Exactly how much money have your parents given to this company? If they have your parent's credit card number, they have probably already charged their fee to it .... if the transaction occurred less than 60 days out, then your parent's can file a complaint with the credit card company.

John G.
Oct 17, 2010

My parents are now in the same situation. I am doing research to find out if they have been scammed. Can you please post a follow-up ASAP so I can advise them on what to do?

Did they complete the transfer? Did they cancel the contract? What happened?

THANK YOU!!!

Josh P.
Oct 18, 2010

The saleslady from the company offered to provide a refund from her personal money (not from the company) to which thankfully, it was refused as unprofessional and that such a refund should be coming from the company and not an employee's personal funds. After accusation that they were not an honest business, they agreed to cancel the transaction, but keep the initial $250 that was already paid. I argued that it would be better to keep the rest of the fees and either try to sell this or donate it than pay $3k+ to get rid of it. Unfortunately as parents get older, they get preyed on by vultures like these, just like magazine/website sales for computer illiterate elders, etc. It's a dog-eat-dog society. Now I'm stuck with doing the selling and transfer and I haven't yet verified or know how to verify who still owns this. I guess that's more research I'll have to do and another project that eats away at my soul. I wish they weren't so difficult to transfer. It's ridiculous.

Rocky G.
Oct 19, 2010

rockyg5 wrote:
The saleslady from the company offered to provide a refund from her personal money (not from the company) to which thankfully, it was refused as unprofessional and that such a refund should be coming from the company and not an employee's personal funds. After accusation that they were not an honest business, they agreed to cancel the transaction, but keep the initial $250 that was already paid. I argued that it would be better to keep the rest of the fees and either try to sell this or donate it than pay $3k+ to get rid of it. Unfortunately as parents get older, they get preyed on by vultures like these, just like magazine/website sales for computer illiterate elders, etc. It's a dog-eat-dog society. Now I'm stuck with doing the selling and transfer and I haven't yet verified or know how to verify who still owns this. I guess that's more research I'll have to do and another project that eats away at my soul. I wish they weren't so difficult to transfer. It's ridiculous.

I would have taken the offer from the 'supposed' employee since she probably owns the company in the first place and it wouldn't have actually been taken out of a personal bank account ..... why in the world would an employee make an offer such as that? It just doesn't make sense.

It's not just old people that get scammed these days. I've been scammed by two different internet marketing companies for merely signing onto their website to see what their offers were .... they automatically charged a fee on my credit card, however I know enough about reporting scams to the proper agencies and I told them so after sending both companies tons of emails. Needless to say, they couldn't refund my credit card fast enough.

Never do business with a company you're not familiar with and never buy into those scam ads like it's a CBS/NBC/ABC news affiliate or any other news source just raving on and on over a new product or service. This is the latest scam making the rounds .... it all looks so legitimate but it's a hoax.

R P.
Dec 15, 2010

Hello,

I have a timeshare @ Summerbay in Orlando Florida and wanting to sell my unit of 2 bedroom and 2 baths. Global Getaway Services contacted us thru phoned which were puzzled of how they got our number and told us that they have a buyer for our property. The buyer contacted us explained that she had look 3 units and pick us since we are also selling the remaining points of 66,500.00 we have banked. Global Getaway told us that the buyer is willing to place a bid for $17,000.00 for the unit and $2,000.00 for the points and I need to send them $1,997.00 for the processing to bring it to close the deal. I am very skeptical and don't want to fall into this type of scam and please help. See below I attached the actual e-mail from the company. Good Afternoon Jennifer: 12/9/2010 Our guarantee to you as the buyer ***100% MONEY BACK***. ***** NO RISK TO YOU***** Buyer: Do you Realize how much money you can save if you buy on the secondary market? Well here is an example: If you buy at any resort tour you will usually pay between 15% to 22.49.% and pay higher maintenance fees. If you buy on the secondary market you will be grandfathered into a lower maintenance fee and we offer interest rates between 6.49% to 8.5% depending on your credit (That's half) Our sales have been so successful that if we have not for filled our obligations to you within 6 months,(only 180 days) we will not only give you a full refund with no questions asked we will still continue to bring you available properties and work as quickly to get you what you are looking for (Properties in your price range, low interest rates that you qualify for and not being hassled into a large loan with the resort!) __________________________________________________________ Our guarantee to you as the seller You will never be billed for any hidden charges. Seller:

If for any reason your property does not sell and close within 6 months from the date you came on board and allowed us to enter your timeshare information into our database, You as well will be refunded for any paper work fees you might have paid. The ingredients to our success is that we work for the buyers not the sellers, We do not require any upfront fees to advertise, market and do presentations for your vacation property. We are able to provide results where other companies have nothing to work for. They simply post your ad on the Internet, give you a glorified web page and leave you stranded with no results. Your all in one Vacation Property Marketplace. We rent We sell We finance We close We exchange We offer 100% financing for the buyer. Interest rates vary from 6.49% to 8.5%. This allows them to borrow the full amount which will cut their payments in half and get the timeshare paid off in half the time. Remember the resort charges a much higher interest rate to finance the unit because that’s how they make their money. They charge anywhere from 15% to 22.49% and that is with good credit. Once we have a buyer for you, We will proceed foward to handle all the closing paper work. The buyer and the seller are responsible to pay there paperwork fees to bring the property to a close. These fees are due before the Estoppel letter is ordered Paper work fees include: Obtaining an Estoppel letter Title search Deed search Transfer fees Document deeds Lease and stamps Name change at resort Marketing of your timeshare Global Getaway will not take any percentage of the sale. The seller will walk away with 100% of the agreement price they made with the buyer. Visit us on line at: Department of State: http://sunbiz.org/scripts/ficidet.exe?action=DETREG&docnum=G10000055641&rdocnum=G05117900150 Please feel free to call or email me anytime Thank you: Lynne Weiss 407-781-9078 Senior Sales Executive Lynne.GGS@gmail.com Global Getaway Services Please note: Your email address is only used for information regarding our company. We do not sell or share your email address with anyone

Jennifer S.
Dec 15, 2010

jennifers839 wrote:
Good Afternoon Jennifer: 12/9/2010

Our guarantee to you as the buyer ***100% MONEY BACK***. ***** NO RISK TO YOU***** Our sales have been so successful that if we have not for filled our obligations to you within 6 months,(only 180 days) we will not only give you a full refund with no questions asked we will still continue to bring you available properties and work as quickly to get you what you are looking for (Properties in your price range, low interest rates that you qualify for and not being hassled into a large loan with the resort!) __________________________________________________________ Our guarantee to you as the seller You will never be billed for any hidden charges.

Seller:

If for any reason your property does not sell and close within 6 months from the date you came on board and allowed us to enter your timeshare information into our database, You as well will be refunded for any paper work fees you might have paid. Please feel free to call or email me anytime Thank you: Lynne Weiss 407-781-9078 Senior Sales Executive Lynne.GGS@gmail.com Global Getaway Services

Please note: Your email address is only used for information regarding our company. We do not sell or share your email address with anyone

A refund for what ... paperwork fees? I thought the company took NO upfront fees whatsoever ? This is just another upfront fee resale scam ..... anything to get that upfront fee no matter what ..... they can call it an appraisal fee, customer service fee, paperwork fee, estoppel letter fee, transfer fee, etc. Makes no difference what they call it .... they're upfront fee resale scammers.

R P.
Dec 15, 2010

I thought so, if they really are honest people they will not take any money up front until the the deal is close and will minus their fees from the proceeds of the sale and told them that. Lynne Wiess (Global Sales) keep telling me that the buyer need to put 10% on her part as well on the deal.

Jennifer S.
Dec 16, 2010

jennifers839 wrote:
I Lynne Wiess (Global Sales) keep telling me that the buyer need to put 10% on her part as well on the deal.

I'm sure she'd like for you to put 10% down .... she'd get her commission and then you'd be history.

Just another upfront fee resale scam.

R P.
Dec 29, 2010

jayjay wrote:
jennifers839 wrote:
I Lynne Wiess (Global Sales) keep telling me that the buyer need to put 10% on her part as well on the deal.

I'm sure she'd like for you to put 10% down .... she'd get her commission and then you'd be history.

Just another upfront fee resale scam.

Jennifer S.
Dec 29, 2010

Thank you Jayjay w/ your respond I am so glad I did not send Global Getaway $1,997.00 Im glad to found this forum and I also did alot of research of this company legalities. the company is a marketing only and not licensed to sell timeshares in the State of Florida and illegal to collect any upfront fees of any kind for resale timeshares verified w/ the Attorney General Office. I lay all these facts to the Global Getaway Services (Lynne Weiss) she is very defensive and told me I was hiding something since I would not give them any money for the fees upfront. I already report them to the Attorney General Office for fraud I hope they will do something to clean this white collar crimes that devastated alot of people.

Jennifer S.
Dec 30, 2010

jennifers839 wrote:
Thank you Jayjay w/ your respond I am so glad I did not send Global Getaway $1,997.00 Im glad to found this forum and I also did alot of research of this company legalities. the company is a marketing only and not licensed to sell timeshares in the State of Florida and illegal to collect any upfront fees of any kind for resale timeshares verified w/ the Attorney General Office. I lay all these facts to the Global Getaway Services (Lynne Weiss) she is very defensive and told me I was hiding something since I would not give them any money for the fees upfront. I already report them to the Attorney General Office for fraud I hope they will do something to clean this white collar crimes that devastated alot of people.

Good for you jennifers .... I got a good belly laugh when she told you that you must be hiding something because you wouldn't turn over your credit card number to her ..... looks like you got the last laugh (ie: if it sounds too good to be true, then 99.9% it is).

Also, with a computer/internet in most every home in the USA (or at a nearby library), it behooves me that so many people trust anything an upfront fee company tells them without researching them backwards and forwards and inside and out ..... all they have to do is Bing or Google 'upfront fee timeshare resale companies' to get all the info they need on their scams.

ALL TIMESHARE RESALE COMPANIES THAT DEMAND AN UPFRONT FEEE ARE SCAMS, PERIOD.

R P.
Jan 04, 2011

I FELL FOR THE SCAM from Global Getaway Services and sent them my $1,997.00 . Has anyone received any information from the attorney general's office regarding this outfit.? How do I contact the attorney general's office to file a complaint. It is a REALLY WELL ORCHESTRATED SCAM, they do a very good job at making you believe that they are real. Please help.

James M.
Jan 05, 2011

jamesm1169 wrote:
I FELL FOR THE SCAM from Global Getaway Services and sent them my $1,997.00 . Has anyone received any information from the attorney general's office regarding this outfit.? How do I contact the attorney general's office to file a complaint. It is a REALLY WELL ORCHESTRATED SCAM, they do a very good job at making you believe that they are real. Please help.

You can file your fraud claim with most Attorneys General online .... you can google or bing the state AT where the scammers are located.

R P.
Jan 18, 2011

I think I am a victim also or they are just incompetent. Have anyone else been involved with this company. I cannot believe that if this company is a scam company that there would not. Be more complaints .

Larry R.
Jan 19, 2011

I also fell for this scam I just filed a complaint with the nattorny generals office. Have you heard anything from them yet?

Larry R.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.