Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.

Original Message:

Re: Marriott Going to Point Syst (by Beck):

j227 wrote:
This is another example of someone making up how the plan doens't work. If you have a deeded property you can use your week or trade it at II like you have always done. It makes no sense to trade your unit for points and then use it at the home location nor does it make sense to trade it for points if you wish a whole week someone in a similar size unit. The points are nifty for partial weeks or when staying in a property of lessor value.

Come on guys if you are going to share some info then how about staring with how the plan actually works.

I think you misunderstood what I wrote, if you understood you avoided clarifying why you claim I and others are making things up.

Contrary to your claim, once you convert from weeks to points you will not be able to trade thru II as you have always done. Marriott wants you to use your points in their internal system. While internal availability is almost always better than exchange availability, which I agree could be an improvement, I am willing to believe points owners will no longer have the 24 day priority thru II. Further, specifically because points owners will have fewer points than their unit requires for another owner to reserve at, Marriott owners will most certainly have difficulty reserving units since what they own can't reserve as much if you stay at locations other than where you own. This is a clear fact and reality which is proven by my personal experience with other point systems with similar dual point setup.

I agree points are a nifty way to reserve partial weeks, but II already allows this for Gold weeks members, thus reducing the value of going into Marriott Points. I agree points are a nifty way to stay at other resorts requiring fewer points, but fewer points by definition indicate lower trade power. By splitting a LO you accomplish this thru II Weeks by using a Studio to get a sub 45 day (I think it's 45) 2BR reservation, or at times a 1BR for a 2BR even if more than 45 days in advance. So your simple claim about how points are better is not a simple slam dunk as to why people should convert to points.

Don't get me wrong, I like points. they are easier to understand and points sytems usually provide all units up front for first come first serve reservations (I specifically am aware of DRI appearing to manipulate the points inventory pool and for some reason the Worldmark system appears to have shortages which clear up as checkin times near) .

I am against dual point systems though, for reasons I've already stated.

You say "It makes no sense to trade your unit for points and then use it at the home location nor does it make sense to trade it for points if you wish a whole week someone in a similar size unit.". I agree to your first comment, but that isn't any argument I made. That's a Marriott selling point where an owner in points will not be required to pay the higher point value at their resort. It's your second point I find puzzling. It sounds to me as though you are of the opinion no one would use their points from a 2BR at Marriott Newport to stay at a Marriott Maui 2BR. That's almost the entire concept of timesharing at other locations, regardless of whether you are a weeks or points owner. So if you have two owners at different resorts where they both get 9,000 pts but their units require outside Marriott owners to pay 10,000, neither owner will be able to stay at each other's resort. If you like that idea, I'm very afraid!