Point Systems

Marriott Going to Point Syst

Jul 11, 2009

I've heard the Marriott Vacation Club is transitioning to a point system sometime later this year or next. What are the details? What does that mean for current owners?

Mark S.
Aug 05, 2009

I was able to look at the Marriots website and was able to get a detailed description of the MVCI properties, and their respective hotel category breakdowns, usually 5-7, ranging anywhere from 30 to 40k a night. I haven't actually traded for points yet, but maybe. Also, if you book for 4 nights, they apparently give you a free night. Don't know about upgrades to views and/or more rooms.

Rhoderick R.
Aug 06, 2009

patriciay22 wrote:
I was able to look at the Marriots website and was able to get a detailed description of the MVCI properties, and their respective hotel category breakdowns, usually 5-7, ranging anywhere from 30 to 40k a night.
Are you talking about Marriott Reward Points? I believe the OP was talking about a new points system that would be entirely separate from Marriott Reward Points

Mike N.

Last edited by mike1536 on Aug 06, 2009 05:37 AM

Aug 06, 2009

Yes...I'm wondering if there are any additional details on a change to an internal pt system to replace using Interval Internaltional for internal exhanges, @$29 per, within the Marriott Vacation Club resorts...will it be simalar to Disney, will it increase availability of MVC stays outside of your home resort, what type of advance booking restrictions apply, can you borrow points from a future year, how much will this option cost...Yeah, I'm looking for the all the details...

Mark S.
Aug 06, 2009

marks773 wrote:
I've heard the Marriott Vacation Club is transitioning to a point system sometime later this year or next. What are the details? What does that mean for current owners?

As of now the Marriott point system is merely rumor .... nothing has been publicly stated concerning such from Marriott ..... there's a huge thread on TUG tugbbs.com concerning this rumor and much of what is posted on that thread is purely conjecture and speculation.

R P.

Last edited by jayjay on Aug 06, 2009 08:11 AM

Dec 05, 2009

We are also Marriott owners & wondering about if/when they will convert to points as it seems inevitable to offer the level of flexibility that their competitors have going. Thus far we have been unable to get any confirmation from Marriott management but are keeping our eyes open. What DOES concern me & I am hoping someone on Redweek can answer this, is how our 5 star Marriott Desert Springs Villas 'guest' unit that sleeps 4, is in the top (red) season in late March (primo), & includes JW Marriott pool & 5-star spa privileges, is valued at only 673 RW points, which seems to get us NOWHERE even close to our calibre, on an RW trade. It seems we'd be better off either just renting it outright then taking the $ & renting somewhere else, OR re-upping with Interval International & trading it thru them (as much as I would love to dump II). Any comments, suggestions? Thank you!

Ev L.
Mar 12, 2010

I used to work for Marriott Vacation Club, and still have friends that work there. MVCI going to a points system is definitely going to happen. They're still calibrating the points values for each property, plus they still havent decided how much to charge owners to "upgrade" to their new points system. Most developers charge about $3k to convert timeshares to their "new" programs so expect something similar. If your timeshare doesnt have the lockoff, it might benefit you greatly. If it already does, you might just continue using Interval. But yes, MVCI is definitely going to a points system.

David C.
Mar 13, 2010

I am not happy about this change. We were SOLD on one system and now Marriott is breaking faith with us by changing that system. I will not purchase any more Marriott time-shares. I no longer trust Marriott. If I wanted to purchase into a point system, I would have purchased from Hilton or Disney.

Alfred S.
Mar 13, 2010

They wont be obligating owners to switch. You can stay on the current "week for week" system, but they'll try to make some extra money by pitching the flexibility of points. Yea, dont worry, there will be a lot of owners that wont switch to points, but we'll have to keep using Interval for our exchanges.

David C.

Last edited by davidc637 on Mar 13, 2010 07:49 AM

Mar 14, 2010

I have found Inteval to be very good with our requests, and they have even given us extra or discounted weeks,so I wouldn't be unhappy about staying with them for exchanges. But, I still feel somehow betrade that Marriott is changeing the system. Remember what you where sold on at the presentation(s).

Alfred S.
Mar 14, 2010

I too am interested in the comments.

Ed R.
Apr 06, 2010

I've only traded with II once and it went well, even getting a bonus week this year that we likely can't use :(

I read somewhere that going to a points system means you'll no longer have deeded property so I suppose that simplifies things for any operator/developer.

Paul G.
Apr 06, 2010

No, that's not the case. You can have points and be deeded. Take Hilton as an example. They're deeded and still use a points system.

David C.
Apr 14, 2010

It's coming in June this year

T H.
Jun 23, 2010

Right on schedule, Marriott sent out information today about their new points program. I really hope that existing owners will shun this. If a majority of existing owners opt to convert their deeded weeks, then Marriott will take control of the board of directors and owners will lose any control over decision-making. It seems that all new MVCI sales will be for points - not deeded weeks (effective June 20, 2010). It is interesting that Marriott's clever language doesn't inform you that you will pay MVCI thousands of dollars for the "privilege" of giving up your deeded week. The former Embassy Suites Vacation Club did a similar conversion to a points system, and the resulting horror stories are endless - including a number of nasty lawsuits.

Personally I think it is a big mistake and a betrayal of trust to the current owners. Too many opportunities for Marriott to game the system with a points-based model. I am very disappointed to see Marriott is changing the rules like this. If I wanted membership in a points-based timeshare system, I would have gone that direction from the start (there is certainly no lack of those programs to choose from already). I have avoided other points-based timeshare programs precisely because I am uncomfortable with the concept. The Marriott brand has had a reputation of trust and integrity that owners rely on. Perhaps Marriott has forgotten that a good reputation takes years to build and minutes to lose - very sad.

Text from Marriott appears below ...

================

Introducing the next evolution in vacationing - Marriott Vacation Club Destinations Exchange Program - a new usage option that is a flexible, easy-to-use, and points-based approach to vacationing.

And because it is an option, once you enroll, each year you can choose to use your ownership as you have in the past or elect to receive Vacation Club Points.

Enroll in the Exchange Program and Enjoy These New Benefits: Enhanced flexibility at Marriott Vacation Club resorts - check in any day of the week, during any season, in any accommodation size, for as long as you want.* More vacation choices like access to the Explorer Collection for adventure travel, cruises, safaris & guided tours to global landmarks, and urban hotel experience packages.** A simplified fee structure, so you don't have to pay separate fees such as Interval International membership or for exchanges to other Marriott Vacation Club resorts.***

Special Introductory Enrollment Offer

Enroll for a one-time, low introductory enrollment fee structure, starting at $595 and if you enroll by December 31, 2010, you will receive a bonus of 800 Vacation Club PlusPoints - good for two to five additional nights at any Marriott Vacation Club resort depending on the resort, room type and season.

Learn More During Your Upcoming Stay

You are encouraged to meet with a Sales Executive during your upcoming stay. You will be contacted prior to your arrival to schedule a time that works for you.

You can also call 866-363-8214 to speak with a Sales Executive, 1-800-845-4226 to speak with Owner Services, or visit My-VacationClub.com for more details or to enroll online.

Gregory B.
Jun 23, 2010

"giving up your deeded week"

Where does it say that ? You don't give up your deeded property, in fact you don't have to do anything at all. It costs $595 to join unless you bought from other than Marriott - then it's $1995.

For existing owners who join the new scheme, seems to me you get some more choices if you choose to not occupy at your home resort.

Now there could be issues with how your existing week is valued and also how it might change but that's a separate item.

Still got more to read, only got the email today....

Paul G.
Jun 23, 2010

I just spent some time on the MVCI site reading about the new points program and my initial impression is that this is a total disaster. Apparently Marriott is out for some quick cash by trying to persuade existing owners to convert to the points program and pay the fee. Also, it would seem that Marriott has made the decision not to build new properties, but to focus attention simply on being a reservation service.

There is no doubt Marriott is trying to undermine existing owners. If we had wanted a points program, we would have purchased through Hilton, or Westin, or Disney, etc.

Initially this points program sounds tremendously flexible, and Marriott even has an impressive calculator on the MVCI site for converting your own timeshare(s) into desired reservations. However, upon further investigation, the program HAS A BASIC FLAW. That is, the arbitrary assignment of points to your own property(s) is, in most cases, inequitable.

They make the point that if you do not like the new points program, just do nothing and trade through Interval International, as in the past. This is another obvious FLAW in the new program, because if a significant owners are persuaded to convert, then II will no longer have the inventory needed for trades. As a result, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO OPERATE AS IN THE PAST.

I feel totally betrayed by Marriott. Hopefully, my initial impression of the new system is wrong. I am interested in the thoughts of others.

Thomas N.
Jun 23, 2010

One other MAJOR FLAW in this new program is indicated by Marriott's stated disclaimer, as follows:

"The points value of my enrolled week(s) and the points required to occupy any particular resort are subject to change."

Obviously, they can DEVALUE YOUR POINTS whenever they so desire.

Thomas N.
Jun 23, 2010

I just discovered another MAJOR (well hidden) FLAW in the new Marriott points program. Since they vary the number of points required for a reservation depending on time of year, there is a good likelihood that you would have to use MORE points to come back into your home resort than the point value they assign to you for your unit.

For example, I own a 1BR ocean view unit at the Kauai Beach Club. Marriott is assigning a value of only 2775 points for this unit, even though it is considered a Platinum season property (i.e., all weeks are peak weeks). However, when I use their calculator for reserving back into the property, it requires 3175 points to reserve in February, 2011. In other words, I would not have enough points to trade back to my home resort.

Thomas N.
Jun 23, 2010

Two additional thoughts, and then I will look forward to the opinions of others on this new program.

1. The new points system largely obsoletes the advantages of the lock-off feature of those properties having lock-offs. The reason is that THERE IS NO PROVISION IN THE NEW POINTS PROGRAM TO LOCK-OFF AND USE ONE SIDE OF YOUR UNIT, WHILE TRADING THE OTHER SIDE FOR POINTS.

2. While the new reservation calculator feature on the Marriott site is impressive and gives the FALSE impression of total flexibility, there is little likelihood that you would actually be able to secure the reservation(s) you so desire, because of lack of availability. (Just talk to members of other points programs, who constantly complain about the difficulty of getting desired reservations.)

Thomas N.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.