Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.

Original Message:

Re: Marriott Going to Point Syst (by R Michael F.):

debd26 wrote:
We attended a timeshare presentation yesterday at Newport Beach Coast Villas. What a disappointment, all ours fears were validated. Deeded weeks are a thing of the past and we will be basically phased out. We are screwed. It is true, all new properties are under points and are not available to deeded week owners unless you convert to points. Everything I said in my previous blog is true. They are point skimming,even the rep couldn't deny that! It is so sad! I would like to propose a rebellion. Do not convert to points and utilize Interval International for all trades. Otherwise, we lose access to any inventory. Marriott will control all available inventory and TELL you when and what is available....they can rent out the select weeks for cash! Or sell you more points! Oh yes, currently it is $9.20 per point. We were told by the end of the year it will be over $10.00 per point! And maintenance fees are .40 per point! What's next? $12.00 per point? They have DEVALUED our deeded property! Why is there no law suit? We intend to stay as we currently are until the last hurrah...we won't get anything if we sell it...pennies on the dollar! We will continue to trade via II. Any thoughts on this? Anything to add? Marriott, in my humble opinion betrayed it's loyal owners!

I appreciate your comments - but you (and other Marriott legacy owners) are far from screwed. Keep in mind:

1. The Destinations program for legacy owners is purely optional. Yes there are owners joining the program but the overwhelming majority of legacy owners will not join (and/ or contribute weeks for points) - especially those with high demand weeks in high owner usage resorts.

Look around the internet at the various Marriott forums and you will note most owners are joining because they fear they will miss something by not joining. You'll also note the number of owner comments whereby owners joined but do not intend to deposit weeks for points.

2. Rules, regulations, and covenants do not change at any of the legacy resorts. Procedures, access to inventory, reservations, etc. function the same as in the past.

3. Marriott has no access to legacy weeks for its Destination program. Legacy owners that choose to convert to points in any given year - will not have access to the legacy weeks - but will have only access to point resorts. While there may be some trading "dilution" - trading "dynamics" are essentially the same.

4. While legacy owners may have limited access to the new resorts going forward- new buyers will have difficulty accessing the legacy properties. With the economic times as they are, Marriott (being in a defensive development mode) does not have too many new resorts on the drawing board at the current time - so I would not be too concerned about being left out of new resorts over the next 24 - 48 months.

In my opinion - and I am not an attorney; if there is the potential for a lawsuit against Marriott it would be on this point. Owners prior to Marriott starting the Destinations program were promised that as Marriott expanded its resort network, owners would be able to enjoy trading and having ease of access to these resorts going forward. Certainly this point was made by sales operations on a daily basis for many years - be it expressed or implied - this point was used as an inducement to have owners purchase. In as much as this is no longer the case - a case for misrepresentation/ fraud could potentially be made through a class action suit by legacy owners.

5. Resale values in the secondary market are about the same as before the Destinations program was introduced to the owners. Resale values in recent years have been impacted by supply/ demand imbalance brought about by the poor economic conditions our country is currently experiencing.

6. Dissatisfied owners do have an option - and that is to contact your Board of Directors at your home resort and let your board members know of your concern/ displeasure with Marriott creating a product that changes the "rules of the game" and potentially introducing a program that negatively impacts your use and enjoyment of your timeshare going forward.

Surprisingly most owners do not quite understand that Marriott "works" for them when managing a "sold out" property. Board of Directors (on behalf of their owners) need to express to Marriott its owners displeasure with Marriott's current actions - possibly even demanding that Marriott cease with the marketing and sale of the Destinations program to its owners until the owner association reviews and agrees to the Destinations plan so that it is fair for all.

While individual owners may contact Marriott directly (and post on internet blogs) to voice their concerns - be assured this action carries no where near the impact that the Board of Directors, acting on behalf of its owners, carries in implementing and forcing changes.