Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.

Original Message:

Re: Marriott Going to Point Syst (by David N.):

robertw312: it is your own choice but paying the upfront fee (and the $165 every year, I suspect) for joining the points' system could be very expensive for only one week ownership (especially EOY).

bs139: Regarding your post, my only comment is that in business you can only believe what is writting. The rest does not mean anything. Marriott salesmen are not different than the real estate guys (or even the car dealers). When you buy a house, I have always to check that everything is in writting. Right?

Small story: Last February, I was in Orlando and Marriott tried to sell to my wife the new LakeShore timeshare. I have to admit that it is fantastic (luxury, golf course, etc) and the near presence of JW Marriott and Ritz-Carlton is a plus for the services/spa/etc.... Now listen to this: the sales"lady" was telling me that the tennis is part of the timeshare complex, that owners can stay at the JW Marriott pool, etc, etc., etc.... owners have preference for the golf course (it is really a top course! this is true), etc.. etc.

First, I was not ready to buy because paying the Marriott price is like buying a new car: you normally lose 40% as you walk out of the door with it! But as my wife felt in love with it (like for her AUDI...), I took the time to review the documentation in ALL the details. After reading EVERYTHING (propectus, full 100 articles/book, reviewing timeshare map/plans, phases to be constructed, maintenance fees and possible increase, etc.), I realised that the tennis court is part of the JW property (not the timeshare portion) and that both the JW pool and the tennis usage is provided to the timeshare owners at the discretion of the JW Marriott. No mention of golf course anywhere in the official documentation, etc.

The sales"lady" was not even aware of all this.... she learnt it with me as she NEVER EVER took the time to go through the details of it. She had to call the manager and then the manager of the manager and finally all the experts in the house to answer my questions (example: What if Marriott do a spin-off of its timeshare business and merge it with another operators? How can we make sure about the amenities that you are selling us (tennis, JW pool, etc.)?). No real answer.

This is maybe my CFO mentality, but I never sign a document under the emotion. If things are not in writting ("black on white"), it means that they are just words (with no commitment and everything can change).

We finally bought a second week at our Grande Vista (at resale, meaning 3 times less the Lakeshare price!) and I promised my wife that I will try to exchange it from time to time for a 2Br at Lakeshore. Let's see now...

Like everything in life, it is just a question of choices. Once you made your decision, you also have to live with the "dark side" of it. If you are not sure or want to better understand, simply take your time. A salesman will always try to pressure you to close immediatly. At the end of the day, it is their job. Up to you to keep them honest!