Sumday Vacations

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.

Original Message:

Re: Sumday Vacations - BE WARNED!!! (by Hank S.):

My mother-in-law responded to a solicitation from Sumday or one of their related companies. (I think they use multiple companies so they can say "Oh, we did what we needed to do, that's being handled by XYZ now, you'll have to deal with them" and wash their hands of any responsibility.) When she talked with the people from Sumday, she was told she wouldn't have to pay anything at the presentation. We went to their presentation at a local hotel which was attended by other timeshare owners. It was a high pressure pitch and she paid thousands of dollars for Sumday to take her timeshare from her. THAT WAS ALMOST TWO YEARS AGO AND THEY STILL HAVEN'T TRANSFERRED HER TIMESHARE!!!! It's always "one more document" or "just a few weeks". I've been in real estate for 20 years and I can think of no legitimate reason why this can't be wrapped up in 60 days. She and the resort where she has the timeshare have both promptly responded to every request. When my mother-in-law said she was told that she wouldn't have to pay anything at the seminar, the people at the presentation said there must have been a "misunderstanding". I think that it's just part of the way they operate.

Here's the way the presentations work:

The people putting on the presentation will be very polite and friendly in a Eddie Haskell sort of way. They will make a presentation that may leave you thinking that you will never be able to sell your timeshare. If you abandon the timeshare and stop making payments, the result will be financial ruin for you and your heirs. But wait! There is hope, the wonderful, compassionate people at Sumday Vacations (or related entity working out of the same office) will free you from your timeshare if you would be so kind to give them thousands of dollars, right then. Sorry, tomorrow doesn't work, it's got to be right now. (Making you decide and pay right then is a classic scam artist trick.) Not saying that that is what these guys are, but it IS one of the tricks of the scam artist. (If it walks like a duck....)

They initially started out quoting something like $6,000 (sorry if my memory isn't accurate, but it was two years ago), but when you start talking with your individual salesperson, they will give you all sorts of discounts, senior citizen discount, veterans discounts, hardship discounts, etc, etc. Another ploy of the scam artist is to quote some outrageous price and then offer a discount, so you think "What luck!!, I'm getting this for XX% less than everyone else is". Another thing they did was once the salespeople were talking with the individuals, they put on the radio. Why? Maybe one reason was that people couldn't hear what the price people a few feet away were paying. Another was, once my mother-in-law signed all the paperwork and give them her credit card #, they walked us out to our car. Hmm, maybe they didn't want us talking to the other people to see how much they paid? So, Jeff Brown, when can my mother-in-law expect to be rid of her timeshare? Maybe when the people at the Better Business Bureau contact you, you can tell them too. I think the State of Missouri Attorney General's Consumer Protection Division may be interested in this as well. I'm just getting started.

If anyone does go to one of these presentations (and I highly advise against it) exchange contact info with other people attending the presentation. The people putting this on, may try to prevent you from doing so, but the more they fight, the more reason you should be concerned.