Maintenance Fees

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.

Original Message:

Maintenance Fees (by KC):

teresad239 wrote:
How would I find out if my son is on the deed. One time Coral Sands called me and mentioned my son's name. He was too young to sign anything when we purchased.

Don't you have a copy of your own deed somewhere? If not, you may be able to find and view a copy online. Your son would NOT have have been required to sign if a parent (very unwisely) put his name on the deed as a co-owner when he was still a minor. If his name was unwisely put on the deed "way back when", then as an adult he now shares equal responsibility for maintenance fees, right along with the other "grantees" whose names also appear on the deed. This is exactly why it would have been very nwise to have put his name on the deed in the first place when he was a child, without his informed consent, still a child and completely unaware of the (possibly unwelcome) legal and financial responsibility being "given" to him involuntarily and without his prior knowledge or informed consent.

In MOST (not all) places in the U.S., deeds are recorded with the County Register of Deeds and they are very easily retrievable in a simple search using the (correctly spelled) name of either the current "grantee" or a previous "grantor". Deeds are public records. If the County in which the timeshare is located does not offer online access (which is rare in this day and age), you can always request a copy of the deed by phone or by mail request (there will usually be a small fee for printing and postage if you use this manual retrieval route).

In some places (Vermont, for example, comes to mind as one such place) deeds may be recorded in individual towns (rather than with the County).