Ask RedWeek

Maintenance Fees

Jan 04, 2016

My husband and I own points with Bluegreen (all are paid in full). We have been trying to find out how to sell them and have pretty much given up on that from the info we have gotten. My question is this, what happens if we don't pay our maintenance fees and dues?

Helen W.
Jan 06, 2016

I believe maintenance fees are just like any other debt. You go into default and it will go against your credit rating. You could try selling your points on ebay or any other selling avenue. Lastly, perhaps if you call the management company they might offer you some other solution. I owned a timeshare once and asked the management if they would take it off my hands for free and the manager had said yes and then they changed their minds. I actually contacted the Consumer BBB and the State Dept of Consumer Affairs and I was able to give it back to the company. However, my case was rare because I had documentation saying they accepted to take it back.

Lorraine N.
Jan 06, 2016

You can try giving them away. There is a yahoo bluegreen group where you can list them for free. You can also list them for free on TUG.net. You can list them on Redweek but it cost to advertise so you might as well try the free sites first.

Tracey S.
Jan 07, 2016

helenw144 wrote:
My husband and I own points with Bluegreen (all are paid in full). We have been trying to find out how to sell them and have pretty much given up on that from the info we have gotten. My question is this, what happens if we don't pay our maintenance fees and dues?

Maintenance fee is like your Homeowner's Association (HOA) if you own a house. If your house has HOA, you must have to pay your monthly fee or else they can put a lien in your house even you paid for already. My neighbor lost his house because he didn't pay his HOA for two years even though he paid his monthly mortgage.

May I know how much is your maintenance fee and how many points a year and what you get for the points? I owned a point timeshare also through Sapphire resort and I get 20,000 points a year and a maintenance fee of $980.67. It is good for a 1 week vacation on pretty much anywhere. But if I make a reservation 30 days or less, anywhere there is available, I will only use 5,000 points. So in other words, with my 20,000 points, I can take up to 4 weeks of vacation if I booked within 30 days or less a year. I can carry my unused points to the following year. Then my 2016 points will expire Dec. 31, 2017 if I don't use it.

My plan with my timeshare is to pass it to any relatives or friends I know that willing to pay for a yearly maintenance fee once I get tired of it. Hopefully the maintenance fee is still under $1,000 but I doubt it since maintenance fees keep going up. Don't use "sellmytimeshare.com," They have bad reviews and they will ask for fees upfront and won't guarantee they can sell your timeshare.

You can "foreclosed" your timeshare by not paying your maintenance fee but yes it will affect your credit but if you already have a house and you are not planning to buy a car in the next 5 years , who cares about credit at this point. That's my 2 cents about this timeshares and maintenance fees :)

Emilio T.

Last edited by emiliot5 on Jan 07, 2016 02:44 PM

Feb 11, 2016

If you stop paying maintenance fees... (Tried to give back to resort and tried to give away to anyone...with negative results) Besides a credit hit what more can Timeshare co do besides foreclose? Its a Sheraton Vistana resort...next to Disney World.

Sheila S.

Last edited by sheilas208 on Feb 11, 2016 04:49 AM

Feb 11, 2016

sheilas208 wrote:
If you stop paying maintenance fees... (Tried to give back to resort and tried to give away to anyone...with negative results) Besides a credit hit what more can Timeshare co do besides foreclose? Its a Sheraton Vistana resort...next to Disney World.

Can you elaborate on what you did to try to give it away? Also, keep asking the resort to take it back. Sometimes resorts will say No one week then Yes another week. Make sure that when you contact the resort about taking a unit back, that you contact the right party. Try contacting the HOA's president and maybe even do so in writing. Also, if you intend to stop paying fees, mention that to the person in charge and that it would be in everyone's best interests to take the unit back. Perhaps you can offer to pay closing costs and even the next maintenance fee.

Lance C.
Jun 20, 2017

saram280 wrote:
If you were to pass away it will go to next of kin or whoever you leave it to in a trust or will. If the maintenance fees are not paid up to date they can burden whoever inherits it. Your family can rent timeshares on Redweek for less than the yearly maintenance fees. You can call me at xxx-xxx-xxxx and I can further explain.
No one EVER has to inherit a timeshare against their will. Any such inheritance, if unwanted, can simply be disclaimed --- UNLESS the would-be recipient's name is ALREADY ON the associated deed as a co-grantee / co-owner.

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Jul 24, 2017 06:28 AM

Jul 22, 2017

How would I find out if my son is on the deed. One time Coral Sands called me and mentioned my son's name. He was too young to sign anything when we purchased.

Teresa
Jul 23, 2017

teresad239 wrote:
How would I find out if my son is on the deed. One time Coral Sands called me and mentioned my son's name. He was too young to sign anything when we purchased.

Don't you have a copy of your own deed somewhere? If not, you may be able to find and view a copy online. Your son would NOT have have been required to sign if a parent (very unwisely) put his name on the deed as a co-owner when he was still a minor. If his name was unwisely put on the deed "way back when", then as an adult he now shares equal responsibility for maintenance fees, right along with the other "grantees" whose names also appear on the deed. This is exactly why it would have been very nwise to have put his name on the deed in the first place when he was a child, without his informed consent, still a child and completely unaware of the (possibly unwelcome) legal and financial responsibility being "given" to him involuntarily and without his prior knowledge or informed consent.

In MOST (not all) places in the U.S., deeds are recorded with the County Register of Deeds and they are very easily retrievable in a simple search using the (correctly spelled) name of either the current "grantee" or a previous "grantor". Deeds are public records. If the County in which the timeshare is located does not offer online access (which is rare in this day and age), you can always request a copy of the deed by phone or by mail request (there will usually be a small fee for printing and postage if you use this manual retrieval route).

In some places (Vermont, for example, comes to mind as one such place) deeds may be recorded in individual towns (rather than with the County).

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Sep 19, 2017 06:40 AM

Jan 10, 2021

get an attorney in florida

Chanda B.
Jan 10, 2021

Get an attorney to do what? And why in Florida?

Lance C.
Jan 10, 2021

find an attorney in florida. we have found a reputable one.

Chanda B.
Jan 10, 2021

Lance this is obviously a set up for someone to ask for information .

Don P.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.