Floating weeks.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.

Original Message:

Floating weeks. (by KC):

ronaldd75 asks: >> Please explain floating weeks. I am interested in buying but many time shared indicate floating weeks. I want two weeks in Jan/Feb or early . If I buy floating can I be certain of having a place during my preferred weeks.<< =====================================

If you do a "search" here on RedWeek, you'll find lots and lots of postings regarding floating weeks, answering any and all possible questions you might have, since this matter has been addressed time and time and time again.

The short answer to your question is NO. There is absolutely NO guarantee in a "floating" week ownership that you can or will get particular specific week(s) each year. On the contrary, at many SW coastal Florida resorts (just to cite one specific example I'm very well familiar with), float week owners are specifically EXCLUDED from ever requesting or reserving certain winter weeks (typically, weeks 5-15, which is most of the winter). The various float week reservation "windows" or "seasons" (and restrictions) all vary quite widely from one resort to another. There is NO "one size fits all" rule of thumb regarding restrictions or "blackout" periods (if any); you have to learn those availability terms and conditions from the individual resort of interest. Don't rely on the representations of an advertising seller either --- some of them don't tell the truth, some of them don't even fully understand the "blackout" restrictions in the first place. Either way, you still need to know the correct info before completing a purchase. This info is best obtained directly from the resort by a weekday, business hours phone call to the resort or the management company which handles its reservation process.

If your date windows (January / early February) are as very specific as you have indicated, you should perhaps consider "fixed" weeks. However, fixed winter weeks in warm climates are obviously of much higher value and are usually considerably higher in cost to purchase.

A "fixed" week is the same numbered week of the year, every year. The first Saturday occurring in January of each calendar year marks the commencement of "week 1" for that particular calendar year. You can very easily find "timeshare calendars" all over the Internet, but you get the idea --- the "timeshare year" is simply NOT exactly the same as the calendar year.

Search RedWeek (see the "search" feature on the forum pages) and read up --- I think you'll find every bit of definition and information you could possibly want (or even stand) to read or to learn regarding "fixed" vs. "floating" weeks. Good luck.