Timeshare Exchanges

Floating weeks.

May 18, 2008

Please explain floating weeks. I am interested in buying but many time shared indicate floating weeks. I want two weeks in Jan/Feb or early . If I buy floating can I be certain of having a place during my preferred weeks.

Ronald D.
May 18, 2008

ronaldd75 asks: >> Please explain floating weeks. I am interested in buying but many time shared indicate floating weeks. I want two weeks in Jan/Feb or early . If I buy floating can I be certain of having a place during my preferred weeks.<< =====================================

If you do a "search" here on RedWeek, you'll find lots and lots of postings regarding floating weeks, answering any and all possible questions you might have, since this matter has been addressed time and time and time again.

The short answer to your question is NO. There is absolutely NO guarantee in a "floating" week ownership that you can or will get particular specific week(s) each year. On the contrary, at many SW coastal Florida resorts (just to cite one specific example I'm very well familiar with), float week owners are specifically EXCLUDED from ever requesting or reserving certain winter weeks (typically, weeks 5-15, which is most of the winter). The various float week reservation "windows" or "seasons" (and restrictions) all vary quite widely from one resort to another. There is NO "one size fits all" rule of thumb regarding restrictions or "blackout" periods (if any); you have to learn those availability terms and conditions from the individual resort of interest. Don't rely on the representations of an advertising seller either --- some of them don't tell the truth, some of them don't even fully understand the "blackout" restrictions in the first place. Either way, you still need to know the correct info before completing a purchase. This info is best obtained directly from the resort by a weekday, business hours phone call to the resort or the management company which handles its reservation process.

If your date windows (January / early February) are as very specific as you have indicated, you should perhaps consider "fixed" weeks. However, fixed winter weeks in warm climates are obviously of much higher value and are usually considerably higher in cost to purchase.

A "fixed" week is the same numbered week of the year, every year. The first Saturday occurring in January of each calendar year marks the commencement of "week 1" for that particular calendar year. You can very easily find "timeshare calendars" all over the Internet, but you get the idea --- the "timeshare year" is simply NOT exactly the same as the calendar year.

Search RedWeek (see the "search" feature on the forum pages) and read up --- I think you'll find every bit of definition and information you could possibly want (or even stand) to read or to learn regarding "fixed" vs. "floating" weeks. Good luck.

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on May 18, 2008 05:21 AM

May 18, 2008

Thanks a lot. Ron

Ronald D.
May 18, 2008

ronaldd75 wrote:
Please explain floating weeks. I am interested in buying but many time shared indicate floating weeks. I want two weeks in Jan/Feb or early . If I buy floating can I be certain of having a place during my preferred weeks.

Jan-Feb is very high demand in many areas where the weather is warm. If you desire weeks in those months I would definitely buy fixed weeks, not floating weeks.

R P.
Aug 26, 2009

I own 2 floating weeks at myrtle beach, I have never not got my week and I have owned for 20 years and 1 for about 12.The resort gives you the info on how they work, and mine also offers 18 days bonus time on each unit, witch only cost 20.00 dollars a night extra if you use them. Hope this helps you

Norma T.
Aug 26, 2009

I own a Westin Vacation Village 2BR Lockoff participating in RCI Points. This is a fixed week ownership but since it participates in RCI Points it primarily funcions like a floating week with the ability to not only pre-reserve at this resort but also a group of resorts in the Daily Management group (Including a Vacation Village in Orlando). - RCI Points also allows 1-42 night reservations on a single reservation and exchange fee although you'd have to own a lot of be very creative in order to make a singl 6 week reservation!

So, if you find a resort participating in RCI Points and the unit for sale also is participating in RCI Points (a prior owner had to buy in and it is transferrable) AND the deeded unit is a fixed week you can: - Search for a unit with deeded fixed week in the Jan/Feb period. As mentioned before this will cost more. - Ensure the unit is already participating in RCI Points, or after you buy, pay the resort $3,000-$5,000 to join RCI Pts. - Once you're the owner and member, - Notify RCI (Not your resort) you intend to use your unit 12-13 months in advance - no fee - 11-12 months in advance take advantage of your resort priority to reserve a unit at your resort. $40 fee - 10-11 mo in adv priority in your resort group. I think this is still a $40 fee - 10 mo or less, reserve at any resort in the RCI Points and RCI Weeks program. There's a dispute about access to RCI Weeks resorts but in general anything a weeks member can reserve, a points owner can reserve. When reserving in your group or resort the fee is still the same, other resorts are $30-$124 I believe. $30 is a one night and $124 is 7 nights or longer.

In my experience, most Jan/Feb units in the Vacation Village group in any FL location are available 8-12 months in advance. Then 2BR units disappear, then the larger 1BR, then about 3-5 months before checkin unit availability disappears.

Beck
Aug 03, 2021

What is the difference between the week being floating and the week being floating (medium)??

Eileen U.
Aug 03, 2021

Eileen: Floating simply means you do not have a fixed week, but rather need to reserve your week with the resort each year. A medium floating week indicates what weeks you are able to reserve. The resort will have certain weeks that qualify for the medium season and these weeks will usually be specified in the details section of the posting.

RedWeek Support
RedWeek.com
Mar 21, 2023

What resort has extra days for 20 a night?

Pat M.
Mar 22, 2023

patm761 wrote:
What resort has extra days for 20 a night?

Twenty what? Dollars? Pesos? Points? Euros?

Lance C.
Mar 27, 2023

Christie lodge has floating weeks that are specific to certain months. Mine is good only for the red weeks that are weeks 1-14. January and February would be included. The earlier you book the better chance of getting what week you would want, yet it is not guaranteed the exact week. Mine is for sale.

Jo B.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.