Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.

Original Message:

Re: beware of dealing with Timeshare Broker Services of Florida (by Emery P.):

I have no specific recommendation. The only thing I can tell you is use a broker who charges only after the sale. You will pay a commission rate of 15% to 20% for a timeshare. Keep in mind, you are not selling a $300,000 home so a 6% or 7% commission is not going to be the case here. Most brokers will settle for 15% on the low end and will include a clause stating a minimum commission of $1,000 or $1,500. Let's use 15% and $1,500 in an example and say you have a timeshare with a market value of $9,000 to $12,000. You agree to start at $11,000 and know that if you get the full price the broker's 15% will be $1,650. Under the the agreement, if you accept an offer under $10,000 the commission will default to the minimum agreed $1,500 (since 10,000 X 15% = $1,500). This is common and, if you think about it, very fair since you are not paying anything in advance. The brokerage is paying for all promotion and marketing for your timeshare up until the timeshare is sold. My only recommendation is to not use TBS since many of their practices are not to the client's best advantage.

If you own a timeshare below the $7,000 mark, you might want to consider advertising it on your own. You can use Redweek, TUG2, or a number of other self service websites for a price well below those advertising websites including the one mentioned in my original post.

If you own a timeshare that inherently has no real value, you might try donating it or contacting the condo association at the resort to let them know you no longer want it. Some resorts will take the unit back if you provide a "quit claim deed" and, in some cases pay any current fees due. Don't fall for these scams from companies that say if you pay $2,000 or $3,000 and sign a quit claim, the company will take the unit off of your hands! In most cases, you can get rid of the unit yourself and not pay thousands to do it.