Timeshare Companies

beware of dealing with Timeshare Broker Services of Florida

Jan 14, 2009

I got burnt - it is too late for me, but this message is to try to prevent others from suffering the same fate. From what I understand, they treat both buyers and sellers alike.

They are very friendly, helpful in the beginning till they earn your trust. I was planning to buy an additional week on my own, looking at Red Week ads, TUG, etc. They asked - almost pleaded with me to go through them, they will get me a great deal. Bottom line, they never worked for me, never negotiated on my behalf. They found a week for a great price - then they raised it substantially before presenting it to me. It was of course my fault for believeing what I heard..

Naturally I will never do business with them again...

Julie L.
Jan 21, 2009

Please allow me to respond as I am Don Nadeau, the Managing Director of Timeshare Broker Services. While it is difficult to address this post directly due to the lack of specifics in the post, I would like to discuss our operation and how we interact with our customers. When someone comes to us looking to buy a timeshare, we do everything in our power to find the week they have requested at the best price possible. People ask for our services for a number of reasons, since they often do not have the time to search for a week themselves or do not necessarily know where to look for the week. Readers of Redweek know that they can look at redweek.com or a number of other sites to find weeks for sale, so we have to assume that a prospective buyer asking for our help either does not have the time to look or needs our help to find a specific week for sale. If this person had found the week they were looking for themselves, as is indicated in the post, then I am confused as to why they would have asked for our services. We charge, as any business would, for services rendered which would include the time spent searching for the week, research with the seller to find out if they actually owned the week listed, research that the specifics of the week were accurate, etc. In the end, the buyer always has the choice to say yes or no, to use or not use our services, and go on with their search. In 2008, our brokerage company negotiated over 1,000 sales of timeshare intervals, so we must be doing something right. Please feel free to contact me through our website if anyone has any questions about our operation. Sincerely Don Nadeau Licensed Real Estate Broker & Managing Director Timeshare Broker Services

Diane Nadeau
Mar 05, 2009

The following is my commentary regarding questionable practices of SellMyTimeshareNOW and affiliated companies (Timeshare Broker Services / Timeshare Hot Deal). It will uncover how SellMyTimeshareNOW has gone from “doing the right thing" and conducting business with strong ethics and morals to doing whatever it takes to get the unsuspecting consumer's money. It will also uncover how SMTN has conducted illegal rental transactions (without a licensed broker's involvement in rentals) and how an affiliated licensed brokerage (Timeshare Broker Services / Timeshare Hot Deal) has negotiated “back door" commissions, shifted offers and manipulated the market for the sake of profit while actually causing harm and negligence to contracted clients. Does this sound like todays banking headlines? Is this the new standard of business practice?

The implications indicate that hundreds of SMTN advertising clients could be entitled to refunds. As well, brokerage clients of Timeshare Broker Services could have unknowingly had their contracted rights violated causing unkown losses to the clients. This article is rather long but each component is very important to building the case of a good company succumbing to a substantially more corrupt practice of business. Please read all of it and judge for yourself.

SellMyTimeshareNow was started back in mid 2003 by the CEO (Jason Tremblay) and his mother (Cindy Gonzalez) in Florida. Soon after they added the current Director of Sales (Rosanne Luba). The ideas implemented were solid and were intended to change the market of timeshare resale Internet advertising. At that point, many of the timeshare advertising companies were promising things they could not deliver such as excessively high resale prices, the highest amount of resale shoppers on their websites or in their storefronts, implied 30, 60 or 90 day turn around, and so on.

The SMTN program was designed to tell the seller the truth regarding resale, give a more true market value, not promise any selling time (since every timeshare sale is different), and actually provide the highest volume of buyers to the website. Getting the buyers to the website was achieved by actually spending money on pay-per-click positions and continually tuning search engine optimization for virtually every buyer search term (something the other companies put no effort or little effort into). Advertising sales reps for SMTN had all the right things going. They could explain the two key factors in successfully selling a timeshare were exposure to buyers and asking price, and could prove the buyer search terms were in place to provide the volume of exposure. The only thing left was the seller's asking price. SMTN advertising sales reps were told to tell potential customers that SMTN would rather not do business with the seller if the seller wanted to price their timeshare too far out of line with the realistic market. That was the moral and correct thing to do and SMTN was rewarded for the honesty. This is not the case anymore. I overheard the Director of Sales actually state that the company's integrity is not what it used to be, that she could not sell ads under the current requirements, and since the company needed in excess of $160,000 per week in sales to meet payroll, the job of the ad sales rep was simply to get the credit card payment for the ad. The company was now overlooking many of the things the advertising sales rep said or did during the sale. Wow, that a change from honesty and integrity! SMTN is now guilty of the same overpricing it was so much against back in the early days of its existence. SMTN used to contest the overpricing of sites like Vacation Register and Timeshare Quick Sale but now has joined ranks with them. Instead of “do the right thing" it is now “do whatever it takes". Climbing to the top, SMTN has become one of the worlds most exposed timeshare resale websites. But now it seems that with a little power comes a lot of corruption. What do you think the most corrupting factor on the planet is? The answer is MONEY.

The faster money comes in, the more money is desired. It is the simple principle of greed and power. The more money is desired, the more rules are either bent or broken. The money makes us powerful, or so we think. Therefor we presume we can tend to the rules as we see fit. If we don't like the rules, we will bend them a bit, ignore them or make our own to justify our actions. The best current example of this is todays Wall Street and the economy. “Do whatever it takes!" is the business practice of today.

Of course all of this “do whatever it takes" can be shrugged off by saying “SMTN is the best shot for the seller to get a result so, let's just get them on the website at whatever selling price and then convince them to change the price later." That may or may not be true. Is this attitude helpful to the timeshare seller or the company taking the seller's money for the ad. Some timeshares will not sell regardless of price. That fact is NEVER disclosed by the advertising sales rep. The point is, the lure of big money and being the dominant power in timeshare resale has effected every facet of this company starting with the CEO, down to the Director of Sales and on to the affiliated brokerage currently headed up by Don Nadeau, which brings us to back door commissions and other questionable or unethical real estate practices.

Sometime back in late 2004, early 2005, the CEO of SMTN decided it was time to get in on the commission side of timeshare. At first, SMTN had a gentleman by the name of Gary Shelton doing “flips" on timeshare deals. Using Laura Selway (later to be indited for embezzlement while in the position of managing partner of SMTN's closing company Timeshare Transfer), Gary would find a buyer for a specific timeshare, take a deposit, find a seller fitting the description and “dual close" the deal, keeping “the spread" which was then divided by the company and Gary. This was all well and good (although somewhat borderline practice since Gary had no real estate license) until Gary started taking deposits and not locating sellers. Gary was keeping the deposits for himself. SMTN reimbursed everything Gary had taken when Gary was still employed by SMTN. I would speculate that SMTN did this only as a matter of survival at this point. Gary died before he could be indited.

Sometime during the early stages of the commissioned sales idea (circa 2005), the CEO decided to start a brokerage called Timeshare Broker Services. This is based out of Tampa, Florida. Don Nadeau and Diane Nadeau are in the Tampa office with Don as Principal Broker. Timeshare Broker Service started as a brokerage with no advertising cost up front. They took a commission upon sale. This is the right way to do things. SMTN and TBS share some data base information. As well, anything listed on TBS is posted as an advertisement on SMTN. As time went by, it was determined that 1 week old offers coming in through SMTN would be accessible by TBS and their agents. The TBS agent could then contact the potential buyer and attempt to locate a seller for any offer negotiated by the TBS agent. This sounds like a great idea until the advertising client of SMTN attempts to get back to the buyer and finds out the buyer is working with another seller. It was even in the grapevine that TBS had pilfered SMTN offers prior to 7 days. Yes, the original seller who received the offer should be quick in replying to an offer..... but what if the seller was on vacation or even in the hospital for a few days. Too late. The the deal already belongs to someone else. The idea was designed to carve out commissions from offers coming in through the “for sale by owner" website. TBS has a partnership agreement with the owners of SMTN which splits commission profits. And what if TBS had taken SMTN offers prior to 7 day? What would that imply?

In 2007, Timeshare Broker Services and SMTN were about to break up their partnership. It seems that TBS was not paying any profits share to SMTN and Don and Diane Nadeau had been secretly starting another website entity in an attempt to gain more money and control for themselves (what a great choice to put back in charge later). The partners of SMTN had an idea of an in house brokerage in Dover, NH (home of SMTN). The process had been toyed with for a while. Jay Garland, a licensed real estate broker in NH, had began with Timeshare Brokerage Services New Hampshire sometime earlier. They had a small impact and only a handful of seller listings. As well, they assisted with implementing a donation program befitting timeshare owners who wanted to get rid of timeshare regardless of selling price while donating net proceeds to Southern New Hampshire University's general scholarship fund. During the fall out of TBS (Florida) and SMTN, the new in house brokerage, to be named Timeshare HotDeal, was to be launched with Jay Garland as principal broker. This was done with the assistance of Ryan Braze, an experienced ad sales rep for SMTN who had joined the company back in late 2003, early 2004. I understand Ryan had attained his Florida real estate license at the same time the CEO's mother (Cindy Gonzalez)attained her Florida license. Ryan was insistent he would not work for Don and Diane Nadeau do to ethical difference. Ryan felt that Don worked too much in the “gray area" and hired agents that were out only for the money regardless of ethical practice or lack of ethical practice. Instead, Ryan was offered a key roll with Timeshare HotDeal if he attained a New Hampshire license, which he did.

Making a slow but steady start of the Timeshare HotDeal program, Ryan, under supervision of Jay Garland, began to develop a program integrating the services of SMTN advertising and the expert assistance of a brokerage. The service would be implemented and offered to SMTN advertising clients on a voluntary, opt in basis and would be known as “Broker Assist". Any offer received on a client's ad would be sent directly to the brokerage department, the offer would be addressed, qualified and any offer resulting would be forwarded to the seller for further negotiation or acceptance. The program was developed so that the buyer was to pay the brokerage fees and/or commissions. The broker assist program is now pretty much mandatory for the seller and there is no longer an opt in option for them. If at anytime a seller were to insist that they did not want to pay an advertising fee, they were referred to THD and were signed under a seller's agreement as a commission only deal. In this case the seller paid the commission.

A few months after the launch of Timeshare HotDeal, Antonia Sabia was brought on as a licensed sales agent for THD. Soon to follow was Jason Hubbard. There were still a few bugs to work out but, all in all, the program was making some headway. The buyer assist sales contracts developed for the sale of timeshare through THD were clear and concise. By Ryan's account, Jay Garland made sure that everything on the contracts were according to NH real estate law. Commissions were clearly stated as a percentage as well as a dollar amount and were shown as paid by the buyer, as stated in the terms of agreement in the SMTN advertising contract. This made it so all payment was quite clear prior to the closing statements being sent to buyer and seller. Soon to follow, SMTN and TBS (Florida) would repair their relationship. At this point, many of the broker assist clients would get confused. SMTN had granted TBS (Florida) access to the data base once again and many of the clients were being contacted by TBS agents. TBS agents would state they had a buyer, mention what the offer would net the seller and send the contracts out. The contracts would then go out as seller paid commission, which should by any rights, entitle the advertiser to a complete refund. The Advertisement Agreement signed by the seller would have stated that the buyer would pay commission, NOT THE SELLER.

At some point the CEO of SMTN deemed it necessary to place the broker assist program under the control of Don Nadeau upon the acquisition of a New Hampshire Real Estate Broker License. I presume this would be to stop the complaints from THD agents regarding TBS agents speaking to broker assist clients as well as Ryan's complaints of TBS sending seller paid commission contracts to broker assist clients (all of these sellers would be entitled to a refund under SMTN's advertising contract). Having spoke to Ryan on several occasions and knowing how he chose not to work for Don, I could see many things were going to change, and not necessarily for the better. TBS would now handle distribution of all offers. Upon the shift of principal broker from Jay Garland to Don Nadeau, Ryan began to complain that the contracts were not correct. Ryan stated first off, since THD is now in violation of NH real estate law and has no licensed managing broker in the office, there was no one to take the complaint directly to. By Ryan's account the CEO of SMTN and Don Nadeau were told as well as Jerome Bocquet (Don's manager licensed as a sales agent in Florida) and Don's administrative staff in Florida. Still, nothing was changed. Ryan said he was completely ignored and mentioned to me on several occasions that under Don Nadeau's new contracts, not only did the buyer not see the commission amount until the closing statement (which could be several months later) but since there was no percentage given to the commission, it could be interpreted as a net commission contract which is illegal in the state of New Hampshire. Ryan claimed to have made this clear several times verbally and by email, only to be ignored and written off as a complainer and not a team player. I think since the guy relocated his family from Florida all on the word of the CEO of SMTN, he showed his dedication to the team. Ryan was pretty upbeat until Don took over. After that he was a bit of a complainer at times. I don't think it was unjustified in this case. I think if Ryan was trying to get the contract practices corrected, he was looking out for the company's best interest to prevent them from legal issues or refunding advertising clients. Ryan also mentioned to me, since Don Nadeau had not provided New Hampshire forms to the New Hampshire agents in a timely manner, Don was collecting New Hampshire escrows (Timeshare HotDeal) on Florida (Timeshare Broker Services) forms. I heard Ryan claim that Don was in such a hurry to get control of THD that he disregarded the implications of co-mingling escrow funds. Both Ryan Braze and Antonia Sabia can confirm any this brokerage information. Ryan is gone now. So are many of the SMTN employees that don't fit the “grab the money now" mold.

Here is how the broker assist program currently runs. An offer comes in on the property. That potential buyer is contacted and the offer is confirmed and validated. Lets say that the buyer offered $10,000 plus closing costs. Now the agent contacts the SMTN advertiser (the seller). That agent now tells the seller there is an offer that will net the seller $7,500 or $8,000 on the sale. The agent is attempting to negotiate a $2,000 or $2,500 commission in this example. This is the “back door" commission. If an advertiser is paying to list their property and they are going to pay a commission, there are other ways to do it without someone selling you an ad and then telling you that the buyer is paying commission. Stroman Realty (www.timesharelink.com) and Timeshares Only (www.timesharesonly.com) are more straight forward. At least you know, as a seller, you will be paying a commission with these organizations. Timeshares Only actually has a huge walk in show room right outside the entrance of Marriott's Grande Vista in Orlando, Florida.

Another complaint I heard from THD regarding Don and Diane Nadeau was that ALL HILTON OFFERS were now to be given to Diane Nadeau. This is because she was responsible for making Timeshare Broker Services a Hilton Authorized Reseller. It was indicated by the sales reps at THD that the real reason might be that Diane makes a 20% commission from anything sold from Hilton's resale department and that Diane might not be giving the full effort of delivering SMTN advertising customers their Hilton offers. This would be so she can make more commission directly from Hilton's resale department. The reps at THD claim they never saw another offer on Hilton timeshares after Don Nadeau took over. Is this another way of simply grabbing as much money as fast as you can? Also, many of the premium properties get what is considered to be “low ball" offers. Dozens of these offers are ignored and never attend to. The seller might be missing out on a deal that is acceptable to them. I think the Florida Real Estate Commission and the New Hampshire Real Estate Commission should investigate a few things mentioned here anyway. Diane Nadeau's Florida license numbers are BK3148324 and BK3208581. Don Nadeau's Florida license numbers are BK3147692 and BK3192083. Don Nadeau's New Hampshire license number is 064852.

One more thing to consider is, Don Nadeau has placed his name on a number of contracts as the buyer. He does not have it disclose that he is a broker or that there is “broker interest" in the property. A good example of this would be Marriott properties. This is because Marriott would buy the timeshare back if the contracted price was under Marriott's predesignated percentage of the current resort price. Since Don has inside contacts with Marriott (I believe through his manager), Don has access to current Marriott pricing and unit availabilities listed in the Marriott data base. This assists him in placing purchase prices on contracts that will most likely get Marriott to exercise right of first refusal. Marriott sellers were approached, offered a net proceed which is a few thousand less than Marriott's buy back price and if the seller accepted, the difference was written in the contract as commission. Once Marriott purchased the timeshare under “right of first refusal", Marriott would send a commission check to the brokerage and the seller would get their money straight from Marriott. Don Nadeau, as a private buyer, would be out of the deal but Don Nadeau's brokerage would get the commission check. This works with most premium timeshare brands under their right of first refusal. In many cases the seller would be better off waiting for a real offer from a real buyer rather than Don Nadeau trying to force the resort to buy the unit back under right of first refusal so Don can pocket the difference. The seller would not know this because they do not know the buyer is a broker. In many cases, the seller could get $2,000 or $3,000 more for the sale even paying a commission if the timeshares was left on the market long enough for real buyers to offer. Instead, the second a desirable premium units becomes available, if there were no buyers “waiting in the wings", the broker would scoop it up for a quick turnover and a fast commission in his pocket. I am sure this is practiced by many brokerages. Some may get away with it, some may not. I am only stating what is being done through SMTN, TBS and THD. The real estate commission can determine whether this is ethical or not. I presume most sellers would not like this idea that they are being used to make the broker a fast buck.

I, at one point, had become aware of other manipulation of timeshare prices by TBS. They would create an advertisement on a desirable property at a price that was below other similar properties on the SMTN website. The property they were listing would not actually exist in and of itself. The listing was simply placed to attract offers to the TBS ad so they could either contact another broker who had a seller they thought would accept that offer or to contact one of the SMTN advertisers with that offer to see if they were willing to accept the offer. The commission spread was taken off of the offer price, of course. The problem here is that many of the broker's “ghost ads" were competing with one another as well as advertising client's ads. The CEO of SMTN was very aware that TBS was doing these “loss leader ghost ads" and actually permitted it (since they too would get a split of any resulting profit). Also, many of those ghost ads were not attended to and remained on the websites even if the inventory was not available. This would certainly effect comparative market values and offer prices for all other sellers and is a really good example of manipulation for the sake of nothing other than profit. Unfortunately, it was at the expense of paying advertisers as well as those who signed with the brokerage under a seller's listing agreement. I became aware once that one of Don Nadeau's agents in Florida had placed a “ghost ad" on a Monte Cristo Estates fractional ownership. The unit listed in the ghost ad was the same villa and weeks as was listed in the next highest priced ad on the websites. It turned out that the next highest priced ad was a seller agreement listing with TBS in Florida. The seller's actual price was ridiculously low anyway. Why would TBS want to violate the trust with the seller as well as violate real estate law and place a fake ad, at a lower price, on one of their own client's properties when they have a responsibility to do what is in that client's best interest? This type of activity would drive the selling prices down, which is not in the seller's best interest. I am reasonably sure that there are many of these ghost ads running on the websites. Nothing is worse as a seller than to have your own property competing against you for offers. If any seller out there has the feeling that they have fallen into a trap like this with TBS then go straight to the Florida Real Estate Commission and complain. Also, since TBS raves about their Better Business Bureau rating, go there and file a complaint as well. Remember, TBS has a responsibility to EVERY client to deal honestly and fairly.

One last thing on TBS. This goes back to ethical practice. One example that comes to mind is an agent currently working for Don under TBS in Florida. She is using an alias (Stephanie Jay). The first name is real but the the last is fictitious. I understand she initiate this because of a no compete clause with another company. Don is aware of her using an alias. This type of practice could make a person wonder what else is she hiding from. I am not sure about how her offer or sales contracts go out but I would think regardless of that, a licensed real estate agent would be required to use their legal name both verbally and written.

As far as rentals are concerned, once a rental offer comes in on a property, the potential renter is contacted, the location, size of unit and rental price offered is confirmed. The owner of the property is then contacted and the renting agent (non-licensed) tries to get the owner to accept as little as possible. The non licensed rental agent is negotiating a “spread" on which they get paid a commission. Since this is done in the New Hampshire office, this is another thing that the New Hampshire Real Estate Commission should look into. The CEO of SMTN has been made aware that any rentals or leases made by a non licensed agent cannot pay on a commission basis. He has known this for over a year. They are not diverting any rentals through any licensed brokerage.

Once again, I think the Florida Real Estate Commission and the New Hampshire Real Estate Commission should investigate a few things mentioned. Diane Nadeau's Florida license numbers are BK3148324 and BK3208581. Don Nadeau's Florida license numbers are BK3147692 and BK3192083. Don Nadeau's New Hampshire license number is 064852. SellMyTimeshareNOW should be investigated for their rentals and for allowing TBS to place ghost ads on the website that compete with real sellers with real prices. This would be a matter for the New Hampshire Real Estate Commission as well as the State Attorney Generals of all 50 states.

Just to wrap things up, I want to reiterate that Transfer My Timeshare was under the same umbrella as SMTN, TBS and THD. There were several good employees at TMT but the company has since gone under due to the previously mentioned embezzlement conducted by the managing partner. She was also diverting timeshare deeds to a relative while keeping all purchase proceeds. The monetary issues were, for the most part, resolved. The company is currently being dissolved. Maybe this is just another example of putting the wrong people in charge in order to make a quick buck. It backfired in this case.

TMT has already come under judgment. Judge SMTN, TBS and THD for yourself. In this day and age, do the ends justify the means? Look at the economy and what the investment banks did to try and turn a quick buck. Now the federal government is coming to bail them out with OUR TAX MONEY! These banks cheated the American public. They sneaked around conducting business unethically and did what they wanted to do thinking they would never get caught. They did it to pad their own pockets by any and every means, legal or illegal. What about the 50 Billion Dollar scam by Burnard Madoff? He operated by his own rules and helped the economy take a nose dive as well. People and businesses that have secret agendas, operate with deception, half truths and manipulation do not deserve to continue to do business. They do not deserve to have your business or your money! The ends would simply be your dollars in their pockets. The means are not justified because at this point it is deception simply to get your money any way possible! I believe honesty is the best policy. Don't you?

Sure SMTN, TBS and THD want to sell timeshares. They could not stay in business without those sales. We are not looking at the desire to sell timeshare, we are looking at the activities to make those sales most profitable for the companies rather than the sellers. Is this just another example of big business preying on the unsuspecting?

I am placing this on every known timeshare and vacation website for all to judge for themselves. Also, I am placing this with the appropriate real estate commissions and attorneys general offices for completion of their duties of investigation. As well, a copy will be forwarded to the BBB, ARDA and CRDA so their other members will be aware of current practices.

Emery P.
Mar 05, 2009

donn27 wrote:
Don Nadeau Licensed Real Estate Broker & Managing Director Timeshare Broker Services

Licensed real estate brokers aren't allowed to sell timeshares if they ask for an upfront fee. Licensed brokers can only take any fees after a sale (ie: homes).

R P.

Last edited by jayjay on Oct 28, 2010 10:41 AM

Mar 05, 2009

Timeshare Market Pro Inc, 4316 North State Road 7, Lauderdale Lake, FL 33319 ripped me off for $599. Timeshare market pro in lied to me and never did anything for me except take my money and put me on their website which is http://www.timesharemarketpro.com. Timeshare market pro is a scam all they tell you is that they have a big event coming whatever date. Every time I call they tell me the same thing over and over. Please don’t use this company they are a fraud, all they what is your money bunch of rip-off. No consideration for a working honest person. How can timeshare Market pro sleep at night? BBB show get involve with this company and close it for good. If you what your money to go to the garbage, make a contract with Timeshare Market Pro. I will continue making complaint after complaint after complaint till a get my money from this scam. If this company what to get in contact with me just, check my fake agreement number 12886 in your fake website.

Juan E.
Mar 06, 2009

Licensed brokers can sell timeshare. They can also take an advertising fee up front if all proceeds are utilized to advertise and promote the timeshare. What they are not allowed to do is take a fee to appraise a timeshare since many years ago it was determined by law that accurate appraisal of timeshare is virtually impossible. Timeshare Broker Services does not take advance fees. What they would be guilty of is written in my original post. My post states that they have used their resources to actually place ghost ads on the websites that directly compete with their own client's listings. As a matter of fact, those properties, in many cases, are the exact same property. This means TBS posting an ad for the exact same unit and week for less money than the seller has agreed to price their unit. TBS agents will price a ghost ad at a price $500 to $1000 below the lowest listed on the websites. TBS does this in order to attract offers first. They will then take the offer to one of the other sellers on the website or to another broker that might have a unit available for that price range. Sound like a good idea? For TBS to make money, yes.... for the SMTN advertiser (since TBS and SMTN are affiliated) or the TBS clients under seller agreement contracts, NO!! Actually, since TBS has a legal responsibility to its contracted sellers, they would be in direct violation of Florida Real Estate law by doing something that is actually harming the sale value of their clients' properties. This type of activity drives the sellers' values down as TBS agents leave these ads on the websites and place others on the websites at even lower prices. There are other questionable practices by TBS as well. These are included in my original post. Read it carefully and decide for yourselves.

Emery P.
Mar 06, 2009

Great Post! Do you recommend any particular rental/sales agents?

M C.
Mar 06, 2009

TimeshareGuy...That is very eye-opening and revealing! You are doing the whole timeshare industry a service. The least that could come of your comments would be motivation towards more specific guidelines and consumer awareness regarding the whole timeshare industry. There ARE companies out there with ethics.

Mary D.
Mar 08, 2009

I have no specific recommendation. The only thing I can tell you is use a broker who charges only after the sale. You will pay a commission rate of 15% to 20% for a timeshare. Keep in mind, you are not selling a $300,000 home so a 6% or 7% commission is not going to be the case here. Most brokers will settle for 15% on the low end and will include a clause stating a minimum commission of $1,000 or $1,500. Let's use 15% and $1,500 in an example and say you have a timeshare with a market value of $9,000 to $12,000. You agree to start at $11,000 and know that if you get the full price the broker's 15% will be $1,650. Under the the agreement, if you accept an offer under $10,000 the commission will default to the minimum agreed $1,500 (since 10,000 X 15% = $1,500). This is common and, if you think about it, very fair since you are not paying anything in advance. The brokerage is paying for all promotion and marketing for your timeshare up until the timeshare is sold. My only recommendation is to not use TBS since many of their practices are not to the client's best advantage.

If you own a timeshare below the $7,000 mark, you might want to consider advertising it on your own. You can use Redweek, TUG2, or a number of other self service websites for a price well below those advertising websites including the one mentioned in my original post.

If you own a timeshare that inherently has no real value, you might try donating it or contacting the condo association at the resort to let them know you no longer want it. Some resorts will take the unit back if you provide a "quit claim deed" and, in some cases pay any current fees due. Don't fall for these scams from companies that say if you pay $2,000 or $3,000 and sign a quit claim, the company will take the unit off of your hands! In most cases, you can get rid of the unit yourself and not pay thousands to do it.

Emery P.
Mar 09, 2009

tsguy123 wrote:
Licensed brokers can sell timeshare. They can also take an advertising fee up front if all proceeds are utilized to advertise and promote the timeshare.

A licensed broker cannot take any fees upfront. If they request a fee, then they are outright scams (I don't care if the fee is called a processing fee, advertising fee or any other type of fee).

Do you pay a licensed broker upfront fees to list your home ..... the answer is NO.

R P.
Mar 09, 2009

Don't know who has the idea that brokers can't charge in advance for ads but, Stroman and Timeshares Only do it all of the time.

Ryan B.

Last edited by ryan37 on Mar 10, 2009 03:20 PM

Sep 26, 2009

Thanks TSGuy for saving me the $599.00 special fee that the company representative was so interested in getting. I could feel the scam as they were buttering me up on the phone and telling me how valuable my property was and how good they were at getting the deal negotiated and sold for me. After doing some research before agreeing to anything and handing over my credit card they have given me a quote that if I sincerly wanted to sell, no one would ever buy it. The same properties are listed on Redweek for 10K less in some cases. I really appreciate your efforts and integrity and hope they get what's comming. Again, thanks for saving me from throwing more money into a rathole.

Mark G.
Sep 27, 2009

ryan37 wrote:
Don't know who has the idea that brokers can't charge in advance for ads but, Stroman and Timeshares Only do it all of the time.

Stroman and Timeshares Only are NOT licensed real estate companies ... they are merely timeshare resale companies.

R P.
Mar 15, 2010

I was contacted by a TBS representative who stated he was seeking a unit for a client. The process he described was as follows: - I arrange for a title search by the title company of my choice (at my expense). - Once the clear title is provided to TBS, they draw up escrow papers and send them to me. - I take the documents to my bank. Prior to signing, the bank contacts TBD to verify the funds for purchase are in an escrow account. Upon verification, I sign the documents. - Bank contacts TBS to advise the documents have been signed and notarized. TBS releases funds. - Bank verifies receipt of funds, then sends the documents to TBS. TBS asked for no upfront fee, claiming the buyer pays their commission. The only expense for which they state I am responsible is the title search. This process sounds legitimate, but the purchase price I have been offered is at least four times the price for the same number of gold time points as I own.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Laura L.
Mar 15, 2010

laural257 wrote:
This process sounds legitimate, but the purchase price I have been offered is at least four times the price for the same number of gold time points as I own.

This should raise a big red flag .... why would someone pay 4 times for the same number of points you own and in this economy at that when timesharing is at it's lowest point ever.

Whatever you decide to do, please keep us informed.

R P.
Mar 23, 2010

Don't do it! We were scammed in this way. The person on the phone will ask for payment for the title search and then will dissappear with your money. This just happened to us a week ago! The person we dealt with was honey tongued but is the devil in sheep's clothing. I dont' think one word out of his mouth was the truth as I replay the conversation in my mind. I doubt they are even an employee of TBS because the phone number we were contacted on was disconnected when we tried to call back the next day. Scam. Don't do it! Fortunately the amount wasn't too much around $200 but it was painful to be used like that.

Daniel W.
Mar 24, 2010

Thanks for your input. I'm sorry for your negative experience. I did not pursue the TBS offer and am not surprised that I have had no follow-up call from them - another clear indicator this is yet another scam. I did do an online title search through Clark County, NV records. The APN on my deed correctly shows the title being held by Hilton Grand Vacations. That research cost nothing, but I'm sure Nevada Title or Chicago Title would charge to do the title search on my contract number.

Laura L.
Aug 27, 2010

I recently tried to purchase a 2 bedroom 2 bath timeshare annually. I was just about to sign the contract and discovered it was only a 1 bedroom every other year. When I contacted them, they said they did not know how that had happened. They said they were sorry and I have not heard from them since. If you purchase from them, make sure to verify from the owner selling the timeshare what exactly they are selling.

Lori W.
Aug 27, 2010

I would like to help avoid some potential confusion resulting from mixing up two very similar company names:

There is a (relatively new) organization called Licensed Timeshare Resale Brokers Association. Any and all members of this group are licensed real estate agents. These licensed agents are from different real estate agencies around the U.S. and they do NOT charge any upfront fees, but instead work on "commission upon sale".

Timeshare Broker Services (...whoever and whatever and wherever TBS might be...) is an entirely different and completely unrelated entity from the group I have identified in the paragraph above.

That said, using a respectable and properly licensed real estate agent can still have a potential downside. If, for a specific and very real example, their minimum commisssion is $1,000 or $1,500 (as is commonly the case), then that's an obvious problem for a timeshare that has very little (...maybe no) current market value. You have to do the math regarding the real market value of what is being sold--- if it's a week with no resale value, why would you want to commit to paying a $1,000 - $1,500 minimum commission upon sale? In such an instance, you'd actually be better off financially by just giving it away for free and paying all of the (about $300) closing costs yourself as the "seller".

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Aug 27, 2010 02:36 PM

Aug 28, 2010

The name of the group is Licensed Timeshare Resale Brokers Association. Their website is www.ltrba.com. The purpose of the website is to give the consumer a place to go to file a complaint. There is a link to actual licensed timeshare resale Brokers that do not charge upfront fees nor do they have a sister company like Sell My Timeshare Now that charges upfront fees and then charges a brokerage fee through Timeshare Brokers Services. If you do have a timeshare that is hard to sell you can always list it on Redweek or www.tug2.net in their bargain basement. However it is better to list it with a Broker that does not charge an upfront fee and let them try to get rid of it for you than to pay Timeshare Relief $3500.00 to take it off your hands.

Judi Kozlowski - Re/Max P.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.