Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.

Original Message:

Re: Marriott Going to Point Syst (by Charles S.):

bob2001 wrote:
"If you don't like the point plan don't particapate in it and just continue to do what you were doing." - that would be wonderful, if it were only true. It is not. Why is it not true? Three simple reasons why I believe the timeshare experience is irreversibly altered for weeks owners who do not enroll.

1- The false assertion that I will get the same weeks I have always gotten (the weeks that I bought and paid good money for!!!). Only time will tell if this assertion is true of false. This is nothing I can prove until 10+ years from now. That is, I haven't gotten Thanksgiving week every single year (I haven't tried every year), but I have gotten it most years that I tried (over 19 years). If I don't get it this year, it won't 'prove' my case. But, if I am unable to get it in 10 tries over 10 years, it will 'prove' my case. A little late, but access to weeks (IMHO) will be GREATLY altered in the new system. Highly valued weeks are going elsewhere in the new system, not to weeks owners.

2- Assertion that Marriott-Marriott trades won't change. This is something that I have been enormously successful at accomplishing through II. Again, time will tell. But, it seems to me that II trading has already dried up considerably, and I will have to report back in 10 years about my experience.

3 - AC - accommodation certificates, bonus weeks from II for placing highly sought after weeks into the II system for trade. I received (and used) 2 II AC certificates during 3 years of ownership of Marriott Hilton Head Sunset Point - summer week, platinum season. I got the July 4th week (although the certificate was being issued for any summer week) every year (again, I think access to the Juy 4th week will disappear, time will tell). I bought Sunset Point through Marriott resale and resold through Marriott resale - it closed just last month. Marriott is 'only' charging 1400 points for a summer week at Sunset Point. Do you really think II will offer AC for a 1400 point week? I don't, only time will tell.

All of the claims that I am making are, of course, theoretical, since I have no intention of being an owner for 10 more years (or even 1 more year), so someone else's data (or the class action lawsuit based on these grounds) will have to be the determining factor of who was right and who was wrong.

A timeshare owner has a choice to rent it, use it or trade it. I have never rented out my timeshare. The only thing that owners (who rent) care about is the week they get (better renting rates for prime weeks). I have rarely stayed in my timeshare that I own, but those who do only care if they can get the week they want (prime week). As a trader (that is me), I care about the week I get (more value in II system) and the trades I get (what is offered, what is available) and AC. These all change.

Marriott's defense (against any class action lawsuit) must be that 'nothing changed' for existing owners if they choose to not participate. That is the line that I have been told through repeated calls to 800-845-4226. But, based on the answers I have gotten and the data I have seen (points to be given to 'enrolled' owners, cost of points to reserve weeks), I believe things are changing drastically for existing weeks owners who do not enroll. I can't prove it, any more than you can prove they won't change. Marriott can say things won't change, but that doesn't make it so. It will take data (last 10 years, next 10 years) to really prove who is right. Data that Marriott and II will not easily make available.

"There are so many comments on this site that makke so little sense" - the only comments I see that make little (no) sense is 'things won't change.' But, I would be interested in knowing which comments "makke so little sense?"

As you state, you have no proof of the future and all of your thoughts are theoretical, thus a bunch of speculation and perhaps unnecessary anxiety. You have made my point. Only time will be able to tell this story. In the meantime, enjoy your timeshare, but don't worry about something that can, could, might, or maybe happen. It's a waste of everyone's energy.

I suggest that we observe and report what is happening to us both positively and negatively. Let's try to use the system to our advantage if possible. That's how one should view all situations. Deal with the rules you have and use them to your advantage.