Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.

Original Message:

Re: Marriott Going to Point Syst (by Jill R.):

I called Cathy Jackson from corporate sales and verified this fact. The reason she sited is that points owners are depositing their weeks for cruises, trades, etc.,so the inventory is less available as a result. She also indicated that trading through Interval will become harder and harder to do. So, in essence, the result is the same as what we were told by the sales reps. And, I still believe if I was told this by 3 different reps, then it stands to reason that was the information they were given by MVC to pass along to prospects.

It is also extremely expensive in view of the fact that we have already spent a lot of money on our deeded weeks plus maintenance fees. The points are currently $11.40 per point. So, now instead of paying around $15,000 for 1,500 points, as it was in the beginning before the 7 price increases, it would now cost $17,100 and go up every time they increase, and another is due in March. If we bank our points for our platinum Vegas property into the DC point system, we would still be short about 1,500 to go to Hawaii or a Caribbean destination. We would break even on our 3 Br ocean front Palm Beach property. Since we're divers, we want to go to good dive locations, so Hawaii and the Caribbean is were we need to go. Thus, we would have to spend $17,100 at the current rate to make it work.

Even though you get the points every year, it's still astronomical. Plus, it eliminates your lock off trade ability. So, instead of two annual vacations from the lock off unit, you only get one if you deposit your unit for points. We could fly and stay at a luxury hotel for far less, or use Marriott Reward points for airfare and hotel. It's just a lousy deal for people who have already bought deeded weeks. I guess you'd have to determine how many trips you could take for $17,100 for it to be beneficial in the future.

I certainly won't be buying points at that price when I can put together a vacation way cheaper. Plus, I don't want Marriott to make yet another profit on me considering that the product I bought in deeded weeks is now worth a third of what I paid for it now. I never expected it to increase in value, but it certainly devalued at an alarming rate.

I stand by my original statement. Destinations points owners will have first dibs on trade inventory because they have bought into the system.

j227 wrote:
You said: "----- those who spend an additional $15,000 plus, will get first dibs on where they want to stay." Yes, this is what some salespersons say. However, this statement is not correct. Don't ask sales people. Call Marriott's 888 number and ask.