Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.

Original Message:

Re: NEED TO RETURN TIMESHARE (by Lance C.):

tobiasw2 wrote:
Please I need someone to help get out of this westgate nightmare please help me.

First of all, I would start by removing your phone number from a public forum like this, especially when you are facing the plight that you are describing. You are probably going to get bombarded with phone calls from unethical (and perhaps illegal) companies that claim they will be able to get you out of your timeshare. But they will charge you a lot of money and perhaps not even accomplish what you were hoping.

As to getting rid of your unit, keep in mind that Westgate has a very sullied reputation and the majority (if not, all) of its units are worth about zero dollars or less on the resale market. I would first start by contacting the resort's Homeowners' Association (HOA) in writing and mention that you no longer wish to own your unit, then request that the HOA take the unit back. The HOA might ask you to pay closing costs and maybe even the next maintenance fee. But at least it will be done properly and relatively painlessly. You might have to be firm and say, in no uncertain terms, that you are not paying another penny in maintenance fees and that the HOA would be better served by taking your unit back.

You can also try advertising your unit for giveaway on reputable sites such as here on RedWeek, E-Bay, Craigslist, My Resort Network, or Timeshare Users Group (aka "TUG"; tugbbs.com) which has a Bargain Deals section that allows you to advertise that you want to give your unit away. You might have to offer to pay the closing costs and maybe even the next maintenance fee, but at least you will get rid of it.

Remember, this could take some time and effort so do not panic and definitely do not go paying these firms that charge you thousands of dollars to "cancel" your timeshare.