Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.

Original Message:

Re: removing my name from a deed (by KC):

betha269 wrote:
Does anyone know how to have my name removed from a deed. I signed with my fiance. We are not married and therefore not family members. If he dies I do not want to have the timeshare in my name. In his will it is left to his son but I want my name off now.

A new deed will have to be prepared and officially recorded. On that new deed, you and your fiance would both have to sign as "grantors" and your fiance would be identified as the new sole "grantee". In other words, you will need his active participation (and his notarized signature) to conduct and complete the new deed process required to "remove" your name from the current deed, thereby also "removing" you from all ownership rights and / or legal responsibilities.

Until a new deed is prepared and recorded, you are both equal co-owners, with equal financial and legal responsibility. In the event of his death before a new deed gets prepared and recorded, you would become the sole owner of record.

P.S. You do NOT need to hire a lawyer to get this done, IF your fiance is in full agreement. A good timeshare closing company (like LT Transfers, for example) can do all of the deed work and recording for you for under $200 in total cost. Your fiance will have to cooperate and agree to sign a new deed, which will make him sole owner instead of co-owner. However, if your fiance is not willing to cooperate, then you will both permanently remain equal co-owners, like it or not. You cannot "get removed" from a deed on your own. The other co-owner(s) must agree, by executing and recording a new deed which reflects that you no longer have any ownership rights or responsibilities regarding that timeshare.

P.P.S. The above input assumes that there are no unpaid loan balances associated with this timeshare. If there are any outstanding loan balances, then all bets are off and this obviously becomes a considerably more complicated matter if you also previously co-signed for an associated loan / mortgage which has not yet been satisfied.