Timeshare exit

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.

Original Message:

Re: Timeshare exit (by KC):

marilynl122 wrote:
I own a couple of timeshares that we are not fully utilizing and would like to get rid of them. An internet search led me to this organization. The input from participants let's me know that this is NOT a good path to take.

The Red week website links me a option to sell the timeshare (on Red week for a fairly nominal fee). Has anyone successfully sold a timeshare using this option? Mine are all on the east coast and in well maintained locations. We've visited each in the last year and found them in good condition and full or nearly full capacity (so still popular options). We felt we've gotten our value from these (when our family was younger) but now it's almost a chore to utilize them fully.

Any help or guidance would be appreciated.

I'll share my limited (but recent) experience advertising a timeshare "for sale" on RedWeek.

I sold a fixed week just a few months ago advertising it on RedWeek. I sold the week for $1,500 less than my listed price, but it sold very promptly. I had wanted to "close" before "maintenance fee bill season" (which I did), so I didn't try to "hold out" for a higher offer.

RedWeek is a great advertising site for timeshare sales or rentals, *BUT* the advertised interval must obviously be something for which there is actually some interest or market demand out there in terms of BOTH location AND season --- and it obviously must also be competitively priced. Remember too that no one cares one bit what YOU paid for your timeshare previously. All that really matters is the resale value in the open market TODAY.

I had purchased the week that I just sold in the resale market 3 years earlier, intending to keep and use it, but the dates didn't work for us 3 years in a row, so I decided to sell it off. I had probably overpaid a bit previously; the $1,500 lower figure I accepted when I resold was, in retrospect, probably about what it was really worth anyhow. Resale market supply and demand and value for timeshares simply "is what it is" at any given point in time. Fortunately, my week was in a desirable, high demand location in high demand / low supply season.

This was my only experience SELLING a timeshare week using RedWeek, although I have successfully RENTED OUT weeks many times (approximately ten times) over about the past decade by advertising on RedWeek.

Hope some of this input helps you. Good luck.