Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.

Original Message:

Re: Direct Exchange Process (by Elizabeth C.):

daddyd wrote:
The question by Kylie was a great one and, sadly, remains unanswered! Here it is, once again! Has anybody been successful in completeing a direct exchange and can you share your process with us? Thanks!

Response: Yes - one time. I posted a wanted to exchange on Redweek, and exchanged with an owner directly and quickly.

This worked out well. No extra cost. No waiting and hoping to get a good week, as I already had one in my hand before exchanging.

Perhaps the new Redweek cot com exchange process will work.

I sit and cross my fingers to hopefully get a good week for the high gold crown weeks I have already depositied with the exchanges co's.

Now, thinking as I sit here without a place to go for sping break when I could have easily booked my own Gold Crown ocean front 2 Bed t/s, giving my week first a trading Company was stupid on my part. I have yet to get anything in return. They tell me I have requested "high season" and there is not much availability. Duhh on my part. Hit me with some cold ice please.

In general, it is just not good business sense to first give up something of high value, pay for it, and then sit back and hope to get something in return with a company that has no guarantee plus, gives you an expiration date for their failure to perform.

After all, what is the exchange co's incentive to make you happy once they have your week ?

The world of TimeShare exchanges has really changed. No longer do the T/S Companies do business with just the small individual T/S owners.

Exchangers need to know where they fall in the new exchange world -- do you ever feel like you are at the bottom? Well, you are.

There are huge large companies are renting out valuable T/S properties. They have the prime weeks, prime locations, and get prime dollar.

Of course they do not buy deeds. They take weeks on consignment, and then exchange the week for each T/S on consignment for the prime weeks in RCI, II, etc and then rent them out.

It is your week they end up getting, prime property at prime time, and they are at the top of the food chain.

Therse huge big T/S resale properties (Holiday resales, just was a write up in the T/S magazine), makes over 200 exchanges per week with RCI and II, and then rents out the weeks.

Individual exchangers are way way down at the bottom of the list (suprise?)

Holday T/S resales has Professionals sitting and making exchanging every single day, exchanging low weeks for high weeks, and then renting out the prime picks.

Do you know that you cannot rent a week that you exchange via RCI, II, SFX? If you do, the exchange Co will cancel your membership/.

Do you know that Holiday and other large traders do so every day?

I am also guessing that Holdiay pays a much exchange rate than do the individual exchangers.

And with a Prof. doing exchanges every day (200 per week or more), on the phone from the start of the day to the end, who ends up getting short changed?

The new rule of thumb, buy a T/S where you want to vacation. Even if it costs more up front, you will get your vacation. If you buy a trader and hope it works, pray everyday.

Many clubs have multiple resorts to chose from (i.e. Mayan Palace), where owners get first pick 6 or more months ahead of time.

Mayan and othe resorts that you may own at have their own internal exchange company that exchanges for members for other T/S (sister resorts).

This gets you up there on the priority list, higher on the food chain than the big guys.

Life is all about where you fall on the priority list, getting to the top of the food chain now in T/S exchanges is, well almost impossible for the little T/S owners.

Then, if you can find some other T/S owner to trade like for like with, great.

If not, you still have your own T/S week to go on vacation or rent out.