Timeshare Exchanges

Direct Exchange Process

Oct 13, 2006

Although exchange is currently just a small part of what we do on RedWeek.com, we do offer a method for owners to exchange direct. Currently, this involves posting what you have and what you are looking for, and letting interested exchangers find you to arrange the trade.

We do not currently have a "Best Practices" suggested guideline for completing the direct exchange process posted on RedWeek.com, but we would like to.

Anyone who's completed a direct exchange, can you share your process?

Thanks, Kylie

Kylie
RedWeek.com
Nov 16, 2006

Unfortunately Kylie I do find the exchange searches on Redweek lacking. It could be that the owners are not filling out the forms properly or that the search areas are too broad. It also could be me!!!!

Janet P.
Dec 28, 2006

I too find it difficult to look for exchanges. If I know I want to go to stay in Cancun I want to be able to bring up a list of all places in Cancun that have exchange listings and what they'd trade for without having to go thru all the scrolling. Then you could click on it and bring up the details.

Vickie C.
Jan 09, 2007

The question by Kylie was a great one and, sadly, remains unanswered! Here it is, once again! Has anybody been successful in completeing a direct exchange and can you share your process with us? Thanks!

Redd W.
Jan 10, 2007

Hi,

Thanks for the feedback. I believe you are correct. We have not yet added Exchanges to our search function, so there is not currently an easy way to pull up all exchanges in an area. We hope to add that shortly.

Thanks, Kylie

palmtre2 wrote:
Unfortunately Kylie I do find the exchange searches on Redweek lacking. It could be that the owners are not filling out the forms properly or that the search areas are too broad. It also could be me!!!!

Kylie
RedWeek.com
Jan 17, 2007

kyliec wrote:
We have not yet added Exchanges to our search function, so there is not currently an easy way to pull up all exchanges in an area. We hope to add that shortly.
Exchanges have been added to the advanced search option now.

Maurice A.
RedWeek.com

Last edited by maurice on Jan 17, 2007 12:31 PM

Jan 17, 2007

Please also note that we are offering FREE exchanges until March 1, 2007. You can post without a membership or posting fees, and contact other exchange posters. More details here:

http://www.redweek.com/articles/free-exchange-promotion

Kylie
RedWeek.com
Jan 17, 2007

I have yet to see one exchange listed here. Maybe I'm missing something here but under exchange it seems to always be zero.

Of coarse I haven't seen every timeshare listed but have seen many!

I hope this works because it seems that finding a honest owner that has the timeshare and week you want and then you have the timeshare and week he wants has less odds than the Lotto!

This is reason for trading companies. They deal with thousands of owners and your trying to match up with one owner.

Phil L.

Last edited by phill12 on Mar 12, 2007 08:45 AM

Jan 18, 2007

phill12 wrote:
kyliec wrote:
Please also note that we are offering FREE exchanges until March 1, 2007. You can post without a membership or posting fees, and contact other exchange posters. More details here:

I have yet to see one exchange listed here. Maybe I'm missing something here but the you see the rent list the sell list and then under exchange it is always zero.

Of coarse I haven't seen every timeshare listed but have seen many.

It's true that there aren't a lot of exchanges posted yet but with this promotion we are hoping to change that.

Thanks, Marty

Marty F
Jan 18, 2007

Hope this exchange system works because any added help for owners is a plus!

I still feel that exchanging with owners or renting is very unsafe. This is why we would probley only deal with II.

Between paper work and paying money your still asking to be scammed and even on Redweek it will happen. PHIL

Phil L.

Last edited by phill12 on Mar 12, 2007 08:34 AM

Jan 18, 2007

kyliec wrote:
Although exchange is currently just a small part of what we do on RedWeek.com, we do offer a method for owners to exchange direct. Currently, this involves posting what you have and what you are looking for, and letting interested exchangers find you to arrange the trade.

We do not currently have a "Best Practices" suggested guideline for completing the direct exchange process posted on RedWeek.com, but we would like to.

Anyone who's completed a direct exchange, can you share your process?

Thanks, Kylie

Direct exchanges can be handled similar to a rental. Timesharing Today Magazine sells a rental (and also a sale) kit at a very reasonable price. Although they do not have a separate kit for direct exchanges, most of the info in the rental kit could be "adapted" for an exchange transaction.

The rental lease form is very detailed and spells out clearly the terms and conditions of the rental, including the need for the renter to provide a valid credit card upon check-in, and to be financially responsible for any damage done while he/she and guests are occupying the unit.

The Kits include step-by-step instructions for preparing all documents needed in the transaction. The Rental Document Kit contains: Three complete sets of fill-in-the-blanks lease forms with worksheets, Detailed instructions, and Model letters to the resort, etc..

The cost by mail is $10. for 3 complete sets.

AND THERE IS A 100% MONEY BACK GUARANTEE.

The price is even lower (and instantly available) if you download it from their web site: https://tstoday.com/shop/docKits.aspx

I have used these forms numerous times through the years and have never had any problems.

P.S. While at the web site, if you are not already a subscriber to Timesharing Today Magazine, if you fill out the form on the home page, you will receive a free copy. I have been a subscriber for over 10 years and have learned a lot about timesharing from their very informative articles.

Marie M.
Jan 18, 2007

phill12 wrote:
mfarmer wrote:
phill12 wrote:
kyliec wrote:

I have yet to see one exchange listed here. Maybe I'm missing something here but the you see the rent list the sell list and then under exchange it is always zero.

Of coarse I haven't seen every timeshare listed but have seen many.

It's true that there aren't a lot of exchanges posted yet but with this promotion we are hoping to change that.

Thanks, Marty

Marty something must be working! I have already seen many exchanges listed on here so this should tell Redweek there is a place for exchanges here! PHIL

That's awesome to hear, Phil!

Marty F
Jan 19, 2007

I'm impressed at the many listings of direct exchanges in such a short period of time. I believe Redweek is the only lisitng site that lists direct exchanges. Kudos to Redweek.

R P.
Jan 19, 2007

jayjay wrote:
I'm impressed at the many listings of direct exchanges in such a short period of time. I believe Redweek is the only lisitng site that lists direct exchanges. Kudos to Redweek.

I also listed my Blue Bay timeshare in Cancun for exchange.

Thank to Redweek for the exchange promotion.

I will have a chance to try out your website.

Soon

Soon N.
Jan 19, 2007

Greetings! But...the question that started this thread remains UNANSWERED! Still! Here it is...once again! Has anybody successfully completed a direct exchange and if so, could you please share your experience with us? Thank you!

Redd W.
Jan 19, 2007

daddyd wrote:
Greetings! But...the question that started this thread remains UNANSWERED! Still! Here it is...once again! Has anybody successfully completed a direct exchange and if so, could you please share your experience with us? Thank you!
I have done it several times in the past, but not through Redweek. It worked out very well each time.

Marie M.
Jan 20, 2007

I still find it very cumbersome, unless I'm just doing something wrong. Let's take 2 examples. I have Mayan Palace....that is 5 different Mexican locations. I know that I want to go to Palm Beach, Florida. I have to go there, doing lots of scrolling and look at several different resorts with exchange ads and HOPE that one of them wants to go to Mexico. I find that time consuming. 2nd example....Even more difficult is when I don't know where I want to go .... I'm open to all different places. That's just downright frustrating.

Now....if there was a way that you post an ad of what you have and then use checkboxes of different places you'd like to go, this would be datat in your ad profile. Then one could do a search by putting in the cities they have and where they might want to go.....several results would pop up, one line after another with some basic info and based on what the ad's profile says, you could click on the link and it would take you to the ad.

Vickie C.
Jan 20, 2007

daddyd wrote:
The question by Kylie was a great one and, sadly, remains unanswered! Here it is, once again! Has anybody been successful in completeing a direct exchange and can you share your process with us? Thanks!

Response: Yes - one time. I posted a wanted to exchange on Redweek, and exchanged with an owner directly and quickly.

This worked out well. No extra cost. No waiting and hoping to get a good week, as I already had one in my hand before exchanging.

Perhaps the new Redweek cot com exchange process will work.

I sit and cross my fingers to hopefully get a good week for the high gold crown weeks I have already depositied with the exchanges co's.

Now, thinking as I sit here without a place to go for sping break when I could have easily booked my own Gold Crown ocean front 2 Bed t/s, giving my week first a trading Company was stupid on my part. I have yet to get anything in return. They tell me I have requested "high season" and there is not much availability. Duhh on my part. Hit me with some cold ice please.

In general, it is just not good business sense to first give up something of high value, pay for it, and then sit back and hope to get something in return with a company that has no guarantee plus, gives you an expiration date for their failure to perform.

After all, what is the exchange co's incentive to make you happy once they have your week ?

The world of TimeShare exchanges has really changed. No longer do the T/S Companies do business with just the small individual T/S owners.

Exchangers need to know where they fall in the new exchange world -- do you ever feel like you are at the bottom? Well, you are.

There are huge large companies are renting out valuable T/S properties. They have the prime weeks, prime locations, and get prime dollar.

Of course they do not buy deeds. They take weeks on consignment, and then exchange the week for each T/S on consignment for the prime weeks in RCI, II, etc and then rent them out.

It is your week they end up getting, prime property at prime time, and they are at the top of the food chain.

Therse huge big T/S resale properties (Holiday resales, just was a write up in the T/S magazine), makes over 200 exchanges per week with RCI and II, and then rents out the weeks.

Individual exchangers are way way down at the bottom of the list (suprise?)

Holday T/S resales has Professionals sitting and making exchanging every single day, exchanging low weeks for high weeks, and then renting out the prime picks.

Do you know that you cannot rent a week that you exchange via RCI, II, SFX? If you do, the exchange Co will cancel your membership/.

Do you know that Holiday and other large traders do so every day?

I am also guessing that Holdiay pays a much exchange rate than do the individual exchangers.

And with a Prof. doing exchanges every day (200 per week or more), on the phone from the start of the day to the end, who ends up getting short changed?

The new rule of thumb, buy a T/S where you want to vacation. Even if it costs more up front, you will get your vacation. If you buy a trader and hope it works, pray everyday.

Many clubs have multiple resorts to chose from (i.e. Mayan Palace), where owners get first pick 6 or more months ahead of time.

Mayan and othe resorts that you may own at have their own internal exchange company that exchanges for members for other T/S (sister resorts).

This gets you up there on the priority list, higher on the food chain than the big guys.

Life is all about where you fall on the priority list, getting to the top of the food chain now in T/S exchanges is, well almost impossible for the little T/S owners.

Then, if you can find some other T/S owner to trade like for like with, great.

If not, you still have your own T/S week to go on vacation or rent out.

Elizabeth C.
Jan 20, 2007

elizabeth, I definitely agree with your post above, but I wasn't aware that Holiday Group rented out timeshares (I thuoght they did only resales) or do they do it under another company name ????

R P.
Jan 22, 2007

vickie247 wrote:
I still find it very cumbersome, unless I'm just doing something wrong. Let's take 2 examples. I have Mayan Palace....that is 5 different Mexican locations. I know that I want to go to Palm Beach, Florida. I have to go there, doing lots of scrolling and look at several different resorts with exchange ads and HOPE that one of them wants to go to Mexico. I find that time consuming. 2nd example....Even more difficult is when I don't know where I want to go .... I'm open to all different places. That's just downright frustrating.

Now....if there was a way that you post an ad of what you have and then use checkboxes of different places you'd like to go, this would be datat in your ad profile. Then one could do a search by putting in the cities they have and where they might want to go.....several results would pop up, one line after another with some basic info and based on what the ad's profile says, you could click on the link and it would take you to the ad.

Hi Vickie,

One thing you can do is sign up to be notified if any exchanges or rentals when they are added at specific resorts or areas. First browse to the specific resorts you are interested in, then select "Be notified of new postings" from the box on the top right side of the page.

This might make your search a little easier.

Thanks, Marty

Marty F

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.