Ask RedWeek

Get out of Westgate Resorts

There is a Westgate Timeshare Hostages Facebook Group for those in your situation. Westgate picks and chooses inventory they take back so many default.

Helpful? 0 0

.

Last edited by valentinaz5 on Dec 09, 2025 07:11 PM

Hi! Sorry to bother you, but did you experience any problems with your credit score after you stopped making payments? Honestly, I won't be using this resort program they sold me as the best thing ever, but it really isn't...

janiceg212 wrote:
It took a while but I just ignored all the threats and demands. I was determined to not pay them a single penny more. Then they foreclosed and sold my week onto some other poor soul.

Hi! I'd like to know if you managed to resolve anything or if you stopped paying and it significantly affected your credit? I bought it recently and I regret it.

susanw257 wrote:
I contacted their Legacy program...They wrote back that the only way they will take it bak is if it is paid off. OR IF I sell it they want first refusal and a host of paperwork with the purcasers information. As you stated earli redier, noone wants a timeshare, and the whole first refusal ordeal is nuts. I also responded that is the loan was paid off I wouldn't be trying to get rid of it! I can't afford the moonthly payments anymore becuse I am on social security and a pension Aside fom affecting my credit, woud it be worth just not paying anymore?

SI SON TAN BUENO, POR QUE NO COBRAN AL TERMINAR EL TRABAJO? COMO LOS ABOGADOS DE LESIONES PERSONALES, POREJEMPLO

Many people don’t realise just how risky these “exit” companies can be. Paying thousands upfront rarely changes the outcome and often leaves you in a worse financial position. In Ireland, there are regulated solutions for people struggling with debts or obligations that offer real legal protection. IRS Ireland provides Personal Insolvency Arrangements, Debt Settlement Arrangements, and Debt Relief Notices to help individuals manage debt responsibly while protecting their homes. A neighbour recently resolved a high-stakes financial issue through a Personal Insolvency Arrangement, avoiding aggressive collections entirely. For anyone seeking guidance on legitimate, structured debt relief, it’s worth taking a moment to visit here: https://irs-ireland.com and explore these options.

sawyerh wrote:
Many people don’t realise just how risky these “exit” companies can be. Paying thousands upfront rarely changes the outcome and often leaves you in a worse financial position.

Yes, you are right. Sadly many exit companies, charities, and so-called "law firms" prey on unknowledgeable timeshare owners. These "exit" companies charge owners thousands of dollars to do something the owners can do themselves for a lot less money.

We purchased the properties June 2026, and I heard negative feedbacks and planned to widraw our property, how?

marryj2 wrote:
We purchased the properties June 2026, and I heard negative feedbacks and planned to widraw our property, how?

The time frame to rescind (cancel) a contract is determined by individual state law. The shortest time period is 3 days (Massachusetts and a few other states), the longest time period is 10 days (Florida, Tennessee). In most states, the rescission period is 5-7 days. So, if you signed your contract in June, which is about 2 months ago now, you no longer have any option to cancel that contract, no matter where in the U.S. you signed it --- that cancellation ship sailed about two months ago.

*IF* you have no unpaid outstanding loan balance and your maintenance fees are paid up to date, you may be able to use Westgate's "Legacy" program to deed the ownership back to them. However, it will cost you about a thousand dollars out of pocket to use that program and Westgate may not accept whatever you bought, since they "cherry pick" what they will take back. If you took out a loan to purchase the timeshare, the only remaining option now (besides paying off the loan) would be to just STOP paying Westgate ANYTHING more and just walk away, default on the loan and understand and accept that a credit score "hit" (that will remain in place for 7 years) is an inevitable certainty. The course of action to default is a personal choice and decision that you must make for yourself, considering your own personal circumstances.

I am sorry that you ever got involved with the slimy likes of Westgate in the first place. I can only wish you good luck.

Last edited by ken1193 on Aug 22, 2026 04:14 AM

marryj2 wrote:
We purchased the properties June 2026, and I heard negative feedbacks and planned to widraw our property, how?

KC gave you some good advice above. I will also add this. Do not go seeking the services of these exit companies or law firms that claim they can get you out of your predicament or can sue Westgate, its sales people, or the resorts. These companies are usually scams and, even if they are successful, they will charge you thousands of dollars to do something you can do yourself for little or no money.

A little more information from you might be helpful such as the original purchase price, how much you have already paid into this, and what you still owe.


Reply to this thread

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.

Related discussions