Buying, Renting, and Selling Timeshares

Beware of rising maintenance fees before purchasing a timeshare

Nov 10, 2006

From what I've been reading many timeshare maintenance fees have gone up dramatically for 2007. Rising yearly maintenance fees are hidden factors when purchasing a timeshare (both retail and resale) that most purchasers are NOT aware of.

First, you make the initial investment of buying a timeshare week, then you pay maintenance fees each and every year with the vast majority of those fees rising. It looks like the best option is to rent and not be saddled with ever increasing maintenance fees and other fees related to owning a timeshare.

R P.
Nov 11, 2006

One additional tip: Read the condo association's financials and the Board of Directors Meeting Minutes for the past year. This will give you detailed insight into dilequent maintenance fees, maintenance issues, etc.

We were looking at one property in Colorado. In going through the minutes we learned that the prior management company had not been paying the taxes and some of the bills. This was leading to increased assessemnts, legal fees, delayed improvements, etc.

Buyer Beware!

J B.
Nov 12, 2006

Yes, fees did seem to go up considerably across the board, some far worse then others. Add to that the rising exchange company fee to exchange somewhere else {especially RCI'S increase } and things are not like they used to be. My advice is to call the resort directly and confirm with them any listed maintance fee, and also ask if there is an upcoming special assesment! They can be QUITE hefty!

Maria A.
Nov 12, 2006

frannie wrote:
Yes, fees did seem to go up considerably across the board, some far worse then others. Add to that the rising exchange company fee to exchange somewhere else {especially RCI'S increase } and things are not like they used to be. My advice is to call the resort directly and confirm with them any listed maintance fee, and also ask if there is an upcoming special assesment! They can be QUITE hefty!

I recently purchased at Los Abrigados Resort and Spa in Sedona and when I called owner services to clarify information on the 35 page legaleze packet that was sent to me, no one was interested in talking with me when they found out that I bought a resale. It was instead suggested that I speak with someone at corporate. When I spoke with the person at corporate and tried to get information on the history of increases in maintenance fees and also if any assessments had taken place or were being considered within the near future, I got very vague information. I asked the same question 2 or 3 times, but never got a straight, firm answer, just "circle talk". We also own at The Ridge Tahoe and I am finding out that it seems to be easier to communicate with management at a single resort like that than dealing with a big corporation managing several resorts.

Anita D.
Nov 13, 2006

anitad10 I'm sorry that happened to you. Never has to me. Owners services at the resort should have been able to tell you how much the maintenance fees are and if any special assesments are coming up. I always verify both of those things before I purchase a timeshare week on the resale market.

Maria A.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.